Home
Gun will be used for hunting and punching paper out to 1000yds.
That was your easy button being pushed right there.
He was just being a smart ass. Everyone knows the barrel needs to be 23.5 inches for that type of shooting.
23" .260....

[Linked Image]
Musta missed the memo on the 23.5�.. whistle
Ain't the first time my pipe has come up short....
Welcome to my world�.
60 centimeters, which is necessary because the .260 is actually a metric round, cleverly disguised as "American" to infiltrate and undermine our way of life.
I have two 260s. One is 26", the other 28".

Does that help?? wink
1-20.3 centimeter twist?
I have a 23" 6.5 Creedmoor. Brux Remington Magnum dupe. I'm loving it!
You guys are a lot of help :-)
I get 2800 out of my 22" barrel shooting 130gr accubonds if that helps any
Originally Posted by caddokiller

What are the specs on the rifle? Heavy, light, DBM, stock?
Can you carry a 24" barreled gun in one hand without it dragging the ground?

If not, get the 22"

The difference in balance and velocities will be minor
Rancho,

The 20.3cm twist is indeed generally the best, especially if you're shooting 10-gram bullets.
[Linked Image]

62 cm. (give or take a sweet 1/16 of a........)works for me.

Best,

GWB
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker

Lilja Sendero contour, DBM and I am not sure what stock I am going with yet.
24" and have fun at the range!

For something like that go 24" or longer. It sounds like you're building one more for use on the range than hunting with those specs.
22, maybe 21.
Originally Posted by Crow hunter

For something like that go 24" or longer. It sounds like you're building one more for use on the range than hunting with those specs.

I will use it for both. Most of my hunting is done from a stand or or short spot and stalks so weight is not a factor. I carried a 12lb rifle all over Colorado last year with no problems. When you spend 2 years carrying a 30lb pack and ar-15 all over the montains a 12lb rifle is a pleasure.

I have had more than a few in .260 , for normal hunting range pick what you like , but the OP said out to a 1000yds I'd go 26 or longer , at that distance velocity helps. At theis time I have 2 with 26" and one with 22" that 4 " makes a noticable difference with my loadings
I have them with 22 inch (factory Rugers), a 26 inch ( Rem VLS Factory).... and a 24 inch on a Model 70 SA ( Pac Nor)... the 26 inch will give me approximately 100 fps more MV out of its usual load of 43.5 grs of IMR 4064 and the 24 inch gives me a predictable 50 fps...

In the field and the real world, it really boils down to what is comfortable for you to carry, and what type of range you are hunting...

My longer barrels are for more open hunting and if I am woods range hunting, then the Rugers get grabbed out of the gunsafe...

the 22 inch has a sporter barrel, the 24 a heavy magnum contour and the 26 inch barrel has a varmint contour...
23" is just about right!
Get the barrel at 24", get your stock and bolt the gun together, then trim it for balance if necessary.

Balance is what counts, not length.
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Get the barrel at 24", get your stock and bolt the gun together, then trim it for balance if necessary.

Balance is what counts, not length.

I agree...balance is key.

24" #4 MullerWorks bbl on an M7 action, B&C Alaskan II stock

[Linked Image]
I currently have several in 22"-24" lengths. The 22" is my favorite for all-around use, including 1000+yards. I give up some wind by running 123 scenars, but it's worth it for the handiness of the package. I'm getting 2975fps so the numbers are still damn good. 130s run 2850-2900 with the 22".

In a 24" I'll switch over to Berger 140 Hybrids. Pushing those at 2800-2850 gives much better numbers in the wind.
Kyle,
Mind sharing your 123 load? I just picked some up to try in my 260.
Thanks!
H4350 from 46.1-47.0, depending on the lot. That's over book, so work up. Book is generally only 58k-59k, though FWIW. Never had pressure issues, just adjusting powder to keep velocity constant (My most recent lot was 50fps faster with the 130s so I dropped back a bit all around). With the 123 I'm running WW708 brass, 210m & jumping .010".

45.0-45.3 works well with the 130gr bullets, btw.
I have a 22" carbon wrapped lightweight gun that runs 130 nab's at 2900. It's great for carrying and shoots well. If your going heavier anyways a 24" is fine but only expect to pick up about 40 fps on average.

Bb
Kid's Mod 7 was 24, out of balance, I sawed it off 2", much better now-Muddy
I just had one built with a 20� #2 Brux on a ruger SS hawkeye set in a Mcmillan stock. Just waiting on the NECG sights to finish it off. I happen to think the tiny velocity loss with a 20� barrel will be more than offset by the rifle�s handy factor.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
My personal opinion is the longer the better if you are planning on shooting paper at 1,000 yds.Since you will be stand hunting mostly the added weight in the barrel should not be a big factor.
Long barrels only
Originally Posted by ldholton
I have had more than a few in .260 , for normal hunting range pick what you like , but the OP said out to a 1000yds I'd go 26 or longer , at that distance velocity helps. At theis time I have 2 with 26" and one with 22" that 4 " makes a noticable difference with my loadings

I have an open prairie rifle that is 30", the extra 4" over a 26" barrel with Reloder 17 is even more impressive.... grin
Originally Posted by wyoming260

I have an open prairie rifle that is 30", the extra 4" over a 26" barrel with Reloder 17 is even more impressive.... grin
funny I'm running 17 myself
Figure 25fps per inch from 23" on .... Pick your poison.
Originally Posted by wyoming260

funny I'm running 17 myself
What kind of general velocities are you getting from the 26" barrels. I would consider that length in the future, but I am spoiled with the one I have.

P.S. I am shooting 130 gr bergers and I think I am gonna stick with them unless some one comes up with a super HIGH BC bullet. lIKE A 150 GR HUNTING HYBRID OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT. The 130 gr. jlks i have show so amazing promise also.
Originally Posted by rgrx1276
I just had one built with a 20� #2 Brux on a ruger SS hawkeye set in a Mcmillan stock. Just waiting on the NECG sights to finish it off. I happen to think the tiny velocity loss with a 20� barrel will be more than offset by the rifle�s handy factor.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That's a great looking rifle! Very nice!
© 24hourcampfire