Home
Posted By: Tanner 7mm Rem Part 3.... - 04/15/14
When you're a dumbass, you sell good stuff for dumb reasons, and sometimes the good stuff finds it's way back to you.

The stock from this rifle....

[Linked Image]

Made it's way back to me, and I dumped a Stainless Steel 700 7mm Rem Mag into it. I didn't even bother rebedding in an effort to save some time and hassle, and I fortunately lucked out in that-the rifle shot great today.

[Linked Image]

Dogshooter, his friend Steve, and myself ran through a short course of small steel targets from 250 out to 633 yards today which proved to be a good little test for the gun and my rusty shooting. Standard load of 66gr of IMR-7828, CCI-250s, and a 162 A-Max kissing the lands pounded everything I pointed it at, and was a great break from class and work.

[Linked Image]

Oddly enough, I could not find a ladder anywhere out there.

I'll get off my soap-box now... just thought the whole thing to be kind of funny.

Tanner
Posted By: deflave Re: 7mm Rem Part 3.... - 04/15/14
Good job Daniel-San.

Travis
Posted By: Huntr Re: 7mm Rem Part 3.... - 04/15/14
One of my all time favorite stock patterns, that dog will hunt!
Posted By: aalf Re: 7mm Rem Part 3.... - 04/15/14

Cool...time to back up a bit....
Posted By: Kimber7man Re: 7mm Rem Part 3.... - 04/15/14
$10 says it's gone before July...
Posted By: Dogshooter Re: 7mm Rem Part 3.... - 04/15/14
Originally Posted by Kimber7man

If it is.... I know where it'll land.

Good day.... good shooting... even the dick rifle ran well, mostly....
Posted By: Dogshooter Re: 7mm Rem Part 3.... - 04/15/14
I forgot the ladder.... again...
Posted By: rcamuglia Re: 7mm Rem Part 3.... - 04/16/14
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
I forgot the ladder.... again...

Hey! You can use you iPhone to set a reminder!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Dogshooter Re: 7mm Rem Part 3.... - 04/16/14
Set it to remind me to bring a ladder to a roof job.... that would have saved us a couple hours the other day.

The .260 ran aweful well today.... I'll bring it to Raton in a couple weeks.
Posted By: JerradPelzer Re: 7mm Rem Part 3.... - 04/16/14

For some reason I think I need a 7 mag. Will keep an eye on this!!!!
Bring Tuner
Glad you got the stock back Tanner. Don't let 'em ride you too hard. It's a disease. I don't have the cure yet either.....I have 2 6.5 Creedmoors I'm thinking of dumping for the Xtreme Hunter in 6.5 SAUM....

....and one of the Creedmoors is an unfired GAP barreled action! It may go before I can even shoot it.

Glad the 7 is working for you.

Posted By: nimrod1949 Re: 7mm Rem Part 3.... - 04/16/14
Isn't this part 4 or 5?
there was the classic, the wsm parts, the wonky stainless 700, then the Tikka and now another ss 700... and a few other non 7mms thrown in there grin
Posted By: MadMooner Re: 7mm Rem Part 3.... - 04/16/14
Gotta love it when chit pans out!

Whadidya think of the Tikka? I keep farting around with the idea of one in 308. I have no idea why.........it just sounds fun.
Posted By: 30338 Re: 7mm Rem Part 3.... - 04/16/14
Tanner, is this the stick that got the new paint I was sent a pic of? Kind of a NULA type thing:)
Posted By: TexasPhotog Re: 7mm Rem Part 3.... - 04/16/14
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
Glad you got the stock back Tanner. Don't let 'em ride you too hard. It's a disease. I don't have the cure yet either.....I have 2 6.5 Creedmoors I'm thinking of dumping for the Xtreme Hunter in 6.5 SAUM....

....and one of the Creedmoors is an unfired GAP barreled action! It may go before I can even shoot it.

Glad the 7 is working for you.

Jezuus! Can I start getting first rights of refusal? laugh

I'm one to talk. I'm thinking of building a Creedmoor on a Montucky...

Tanner, what kind of stock is it?
Originally Posted by 30338
Tanner, is this the stick that got the new paint I was sent a pic of? Kind of a NULA type thing:)

Kinda NUGLY.... I still see the stripes burned into my retinas when I blink...
Posted By: 4th_point Re: 7mm Rem Part 3.... - 04/16/14
Tanner,

Does this mean that the T3 Tikkler and 3-9x Super Chicken are gone? Just get bored, or couldn't pass up the old stock?

Jason
Originally Posted by Dogshooter

Kinda NUGLY.... I still see the stripes burned into my retinas when I blink...

That sounds like the pic I saw. I think I can top it, but waiting on a pacnor barrel.
It looks like one of Smurfette's used tampons....
Posted By: starsky Re: 7mm Rem Part 3.... - 04/16/14
I was thinking more of a Barney/Smurf crossbreed kinda thing... Regardless, I think it looks pretty badass. laugh
Posted By: Tanner Re: 7mm Rem Part 3.... - 04/16/14
Originally Posted by nimrod1949
Isn't this part 4 or 5?
there was the classic, the wsm parts, the wonky stainless 700, then the Tikka and now another ss 700... and a few other non 7mms thrown in there grin

Schitt, you're right. There's been a few... Guess you could say I'm a 7mm skank.

Originally Posted by 4th_point
Tanner,

Does this mean that the T3 Tikkler and 3-9x Super Chicken are gone? Just get bored, or couldn't pass up the old stock?

Jason

Jason, I dumped both. I'd definitely buy either one again, just something about comfort zones and all that.... More warm and fuzzy with this setup. Nothing wrong with either the Tikka or SWFA-hell of a setup, in fact.

I'll take that bet, Marty....grin

[/quote]
Jezuus! Can I start getting first rights of refusal? laugh

I'm one to talk. I'm thinking of building a Creedmoor on a Montucky...

Tanner, what kind of stock is it? [/quote]

TX, it's a Mickey KS with an ADL bottom. Weighs about 28oz and is one of my favorite patterns that I've used. Fits me really well.

This is KUIU's new proprietary camouflage pattern that I designed for them. Nearly invisible in almost any setting, and it's proven to attract dinks on occasion.

[Linked Image]

anybody still want dibs? laugh

Tanner
Posted By: prairie_goat Re: 7mm Rem Part 3.... - 04/16/14
OMFG.
Now that you posted it, there is nothing to keep Pat from using that for a sling commercial.
Posted By: n8dawg6 Re: 7mm Rem Part 3.... - 04/16/14
tough to beat a 700, wearin a handle that fits, w/ talleys and leup glass. and a montana sling of course. ive "heard" the 162 gaymax aint too shabby, neither.
Posted By: GuyM Re: 7mm Rem Part 3.... - 04/16/14
Now that you posted it, there is nothing to keep Pat from using that for a sling commercial.

Sure there is, unless... Can photoshop fix those stock colors? grin

Tanner, 7mm stuff is very cool. About all I hunted with for a while. Elk, mule deer, coyote... The rifle didn't care, took 'em all at ranges near & far.

Regards, Guy
Posted By: deflave Re: 7mm Rem Part 3.... - 04/16/14

[Linked Image]

Your new Delta Tau Chi name is... The Joker.

Travis
Posted By: dogcatcher223 Re: 7mm Rem Part 3.... - 04/16/14
Originally Posted by n8dawg6
tough to beat a 700, wearin a handle that fits, w/ talleys and leup glass.

No it isn't.

Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Originally Posted by n8dawg6
tough to beat a 700, wearin a handle that fits, w/ talleys and leup glass.

No it isn't.

The Tikka .243 wearing a Burris Echo Deuce 3-9 didn't show too bad... running 70 grain Noslers off the reticle.... and Pelo Blanco driving. If they were a 1-9"... I'd snatch one up in a bear trap.
Originally Posted by deflave

[Linked Image]

Your new Delta Tau Chi name is... The Joker.

Travis

I hope that's just the base coat/primer
...like this one

[Linked Image]
Posted By: mathman Re: 7mm Rem Part 3.... - 04/16/14
And people say you don't know dick. laugh
Posted By: 16bore Re: 7mm Rem Part 3.... - 04/16/14
Hard to beat it when brass is in stock at Midway and 162's should be here by May. I'm going Classic, sans the fruit flavored paint job......
Buddy built the rifle for his friend that we always give grief to. That was the base coat.

He doesn't know that.

Every time he shoots now, he lays his hands and face on a bunch of dick.

Posted By: mathman Re: 7mm Rem Part 3.... - 04/16/14
Too cold!
Originally Posted by mathman
And people say you don't know dick. laugh

Rick definitely knows dick.

I'm a tit man myself.

Tanner
Definitely bring Tuner...
Posted By: MadMooner Re: 7mm Rem Part 3.... - 04/16/14
Holy chit that's funny.

A rubber dick rifle.
Originally Posted by rcamuglia

Laughing...

I'd love to make it up there and get schooled by your 6.5 Creed. I can see that being an expensive shooting-lesson though....grin

Tanner
Originally Posted by Tanner
Originally Posted by rcamuglia

Laughing...

I'd love to make it up there and get schooled by your 6.5 Creed. I can see that being an expensive shooting-lesson though....grin

Tanner

The shoot only costs $30 to enter, then you got to bring about 100 rounds (60 for the shoot on Sunday and whatever you want to practice with on Saturday). Hotel room, gas, food (We like to cook our own at the hotel)

You should come. You guys would have a ball and meet some great, Like-Minded friends.

Oh I'm not worried about the hotel and gas, just about how much money I'm going to want to spend after seeing your 6.5 Creedmoore run through the course!

Tanner
Bring your 243AI and the 105's. It'll be great.
Oh I'm not worried about the hotel and gas, just about how much money I'm going to want to spend after seeing your 6.5 Creedmoore run through the course!

Tanner

I have a couple of Creedmoor's that could scratch that itch....
Posted By: twofish Re: 7mm Rem Part 3.... - 04/16/14
Tanner, is that the 7MM that I made the mistake of selling?

I knew I shoulda' shot that thing before I sold it...damn it.

twofish

Posted By: 805 Re: 7mm Rem Part 3.... - 04/16/14
Looking good Tanner! What's that color combo called? Cotton Candy?
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker

Tanner

I have a couple of Creedmoor's that could scratch that itch....

I don't even wanna' know...grin

Originally Posted by twofish
Tanner, is that the 7MM that I made the mistake of selling?

I knew I shoulda' shot that thing before I sold it...damn it.

twofish

Sure is. Sweet rig, fo' sho.

Originally Posted by 805

Damnit Andy, it's KUIU's new camo! I can't go giving away proprietary secrets.

Tanner
Posted By: 805 Re: 7mm Rem Part 3.... - 04/17/14
Originally Posted by 805

Damnit Andy, it's KUIU's new camo! I can't go giving away proprietary secrets.

Tanner[/quote]

If I wouldve known this new color was coming out I wouldve held off buying my new KUIU gear last month! Damnit!
Posted By: TexasTBag Re: 7mm Rem Part 3.... - 04/18/14
Tanner, That stock looks familiar.
Posted By: 30338 Re: 7mm Rem Part 3.... - 04/20/14
Tanner, The arctic rig was impossible to beat today shooting bergers. You have to try some of those in yours, at least the 168 hybrids.
Posted By: Tanner Re: 7mm Rem Part 3.... - 04/22/14
I'll have to try some of those 180s, Kurt. I plan on buying a big box of either those or 180s one of these days if I can find 'em, if they shoot!

Update: This gun is still gorgeous. And I'm never dialing another Leupold.

[Linked Image]

Tanner

Posted By: 16bore Re: 7mm Rem Part 3.... - 04/22/14
Never dialing another Leupold?

Blasphemy.......
Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: 7mm Rem Part 3.... - 04/22/14
Did you have a Leupold failure... grin
Yes, I know. I'm amongst the most fickle of scope/gun/boot/pack whatever it may be buyers and users, and I still have love for the Gold Ring. But, in the future I'll use them on my set-and-forget guns. Maybe I have bad luck, or maybe I treat my guns too poorly (are you supposed to carry those things in cases...?) but dialing 23 Minutes to put shots on steel at 1k, and having my rounds land 20 yards short showed me all I needed to see.

Dialing back to zero showed it to be nowhere near where it was previously, and I badly missed a coyote-shaped piece of steel at 450 yards just a few minutes after ringing 12" steel at 700.

Back to a SWFA 3-9x42... I'll gladly carry the extra 6oz around.

Tanner
Posted By: 16bore Re: 7mm Rem Part 3.... - 04/22/14
How much does the Yo Gabba Gabba Magnum weigh, anyway?
I'm not sure. It'll go at least 9 pounds with an SS 3-9x42 in Talleys, which is about right for something flinging .625s at 3,000fps....in my opinion anyways. I would wager a guess it weighs 8.5 as it sits now? The stock weighs 28 ounces.

Tanner
Posted By: prairie_goat Re: 7mm Rem Part 3.... - 04/22/14
I'm amongst the most fickle of scope/gun/boot/pack whatever it may be buyers and users, and I still have love for the Gold Ring. But, in the future I'll use them on my set-and-forget guns.

Tanner

That's about where I am.

Though the fixed power Mark 4, as well as the Mark 6 3-18 are a whole different level of awesomeness from the run of the mill Leupolds. I'm still happily chugging along with each of those.

But in the future, I'm thinking I'll just buy SWFA 3-9s, 10xHDs, or 3-15s for dialing rifles and call it good.

Sticking with Leupold fixed powers with dots for hunting use.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: 7mm Rem Part 3.... - 04/22/14
Yes, I know. I'm amongst the most fickle of scope/gun/boot/pack whatever it may be buyers and users, and I still have love for the Gold Ring. But, in the future I'll use them on my set-and-forget guns. Maybe I have bad luck, or maybe I treat my guns too poorly (are you supposed to carry those things in cases...?) but dialing 23 Minutes to put shots on steel at 1k, and having my rounds land 20 yards short showed me all I needed to see.

Dialing back to zero showed it to be nowhere near where it was previously, and I badly missed a coyote-shaped piece of steel at 450 yards just a few minutes after ringing 12" steel at 700.

Tanner

My our,preaching to the choir on those Leupys, I've to many that didn't adjust correctly.
Give me S&B or at least a Nightforce.
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: 7mm Rem Part 3.... - 04/22/14
I knew you'd come around... wink
Originally Posted by 16bore
How much does the Yo Gabba Gabba Magnum weigh, anyway?

My two year old watches that show....and that's a pretty funny reference!
Posted By: GregW Re: 7mm Rem Part 3.... - 04/22/14
So what is the best tracking scope in the group's opinion?

SWFA? Nightforce? Sightron SIII?

Originally Posted by jwp475

Tanner

My our,preaching to the choir on those Leupys, I've to many that didn't adjust correctly.
Give me S&B or at least a Nightforce.

I don't think I'm really preaching to the choir. I've had a few that tracked really well and did so for a lot of shooting, and lots of guys that are way more accomplished hunters and shooters than myself have great success with dialing on them.

Originally Posted by GregW
So what is the best tracking scope in the group's opinion?

SWFA? Nightforce? Sightron SIII?

Nightforce ain't in my budget, and I don't think they give up a ton in comparison to the SWFA lineup (keep in mind I have extremely limited experience with Nightforce scopes).

I'll take an SWFA 3-9x42 for a hunting scope, right now. Both I've had tracked awesome and the glass is damn good.

Tanner
Posted By: Dogshooter Re: 7mm Rem Part 3.... - 04/22/14
I was there to see everything go south... and it happened quickly. I have my suspects.... but we'll see. Asking a 1" tube to reef a couple revolutions up and down, do it reliably throughout the full range, and consistently return to zero... for 13oz is a little optimistic.

Had we left well enough alone and stayed inside 1/2 mile, I believe everything would have been roses, we'd be calling it the perfect NA big game killing rig and praising T's choice of components. But alas.... expectations are the engine for anger and mistrust.

The 12x SS on the .260 has run without a hiccup... for a bunch of rounds now. I spun about a dozen MILs in it, held 3 MILs of wind, and hit the 14" plate at 1200 with the second round. Back down to 450 and it was money.... same couple shots that shamed the above mention Leupold minutes earlier.

For a spinnin' scope.... I dig the SS series, all of'em.
Posted By: 280Ackleyrized Re: 7mm Rem Part 3.... - 04/22/14
You know Tanner, when I was by your mentor's house, I don't recall seeing much of gold ring scopes with turrets. Most of his were Leica. Should tell you someting. Btw....paint that awful lookin stock will ya. Or just slap a jolly Roger on the butt.
Posted By: dogcatcher223 Re: 7mm Rem Part 3.... - 04/22/14
Welcome to reality Tanner. Don't get hung up on weight. I would rather carry around a few more ounces if my bullet goes where I command it.
Posted By: BurninDupont Re: 7mm Rem Part 3.... - 04/23/14
Why the SWFA HD's and not the regular straight 6 or 10's? Thanks
Posted By: Tanner Re: 7mm Rem Part 3.... - 04/23/14
I haven't ever owned one of the HDs so I cannot give an opinion on that. I've heard rumors that the 3-9x42s are made with HD glass but have never confirmed that... they are easily as bright and clear as a Leupold of similar magnification, though. I don't get hung up on "glass" very often.... because I don't observe game through my scope.

Total weight with the SS 3-9 up top is 8.6# with a Montana sling. Not too bad.

Tanner
Posted By: dogcatcher223 Re: 7mm Rem Part 3.... - 04/23/14
Should have kept the Tikka and the SS.
© 24hourcampfire