Home
Model 70 Coyote, very good condition, will run me right at $450.

Should I buy it?

Any advantage over the 7mm Rem Mag?
Posted By: Esox357 Re: I have a line on a 7mm WSM - 10/22/14
If I had an accurate 7 rem mag than I would pass the 7 wsm. If I were starting from scratch a 7 wsm would interest me some? I don't see the advantage over the 7 rem mag. It might make a great build in .300 wsm.
If I were going to buy a 7mm in a short action I'd go with the SAUM.

However $450 isn't a bad price and would be a good time tuning it up. If you decide you don't like it you could always unload it down the road for at least what you gave for it. I'd buy it just for something to mess with during the off season.
Buy it, it's a great cartridge... sorry I sold mine awhile back!
Posted By: TopCat Re: I have a line on a 7mm WSM - 10/22/14
If it's a push feed the price sounds about right.
I love my Featherweight and almost bought an identical rifle over the summer. The new rifle had an egg shaped chamber which was common towards the end of Winchester's production. Use caution and demand the right to return the rifle if needed.
Posted By: Ringman Re: I have a line on a 7mm WSM - 10/25/14
If it's a push feed the price sounds about right.

Good call. Control round feed is definitely worth less.
I just had to buy a 7mm WSM as soon as they came out to get away from the terrible belted cartridges.

My first was a M70 SS with a Syn stock. It shot ok at first but then became less accurate.

It's gone.

Make sure the chamber is round. They say WW over tightened the barrels into the actions and some of the chambers went out of round.

Also make sure you have plenty of ammo and good brass. The brass is not available?

WSC7MMWSMU50 7MM WSM - PER 50 Out of Stock
Originally Posted by Savage_99
I just had to buy a 7mm WSM as soon as they came out to get away from the terrible belted cartridges.

My first was a M70 SS with a Syn stock. It shot ok at first but then became less accurate.

It's gone.

Make sure the chamber is round. They say WW over tightened the barrels into the actions and some of the chambers went out of round.

Also make sure you have plenty of ammo and good brass. The brass is not available?

WSC7MMWSMU50 7MM WSM - PER 50 Out of Stock

Those terrible belts cause all kinds of accuracy issues....
[Linked Image]
Lucky day for you!

Getting 3 shots off in the same day with a PF without a jam?

grin

Your lucky to get 3 shots off every 5 yrs.......what's a jam?
Posted By: Teal Re: I have a line on a 7mm WSM - 10/25/14
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Model 70 Coyote, very good condition, will run me right at $450.

Should I buy it?

Any advantage over the 7mm Rem Mag?

Cabela's has a Coyote here in 243 with a basic Tasco on it for 699.00

I'd get that the 7mm and not think twice about it.
I confirmed the 'zero' on my Kimber 7mm WSM today. It put two 168 gr VLD's into an inch at 200 yds.

The group was about an inch lower than what I want.

I am going to leave it be and check it again, as is, later in the week.
Posted By: slm9s Re: I have a line on a 7mm WSM - 10/26/14
Buy it. I really like the round and that sounds like a good deal.
Posted By: Jcvibby Re: I have a line on a 7mm WSM - 11/24/14
u bought it right???
I confirmed the 'zero' on my Kimber 7mm WSM today. It put two 168 gr VLD's into an inch at 200 yds.

The group was about an inch lower than what I want.

I am going to leave it be and check it again, as is, later in the week.

Walking to and back from a 100 yard target doesn't magically transform that into a 200 yard shot...

OP,

Buy that rifle and shoot the fook out of it.
Make sure it's chamber is round and it comes with plenty of 7mm WSM brass!

I have 270 WSM's in my shirt pocket now. That Kimber Montana WSM is shooting well. The bullet is the 150 gr SST.

[Linked Image]

7MM WSM - PER 250 Out of
7MM WSM - PER 500 Out of
7MM WSM - PER 1000 Out of Stock

P.V.
Buy it, then rebarrel to a 6.5 SAUM. Mine has 3200 rounds through it and still drills...

7MM WSM - PER 250 Out of
7MM WSM - PER 500 Out of

P.V.

What's it like to be at the mercy of your own faculties?

I bet, and this is just a hunch, that the OP might be able to scratch up a case or two of .300 WSM brass and neck it down. He might even get to use some of that false shoulder voodoo magic on account of the 7 WSM having a longer case head to shoulder length.
I've got a few M70 Coyotes. Nice rifles that shoot well. They are factory bedded with hot glue but that's an easy fix. $450 is cheap.
Originally Posted by Caballo

7MM WSM - PER 250 Out of
7MM WSM - PER 500 Out of

P.V.

I bet, and this is just a hunch, that the OP might be able to scratch up a case or two of .300 WSM brass and neck it down. He might even get to use some of that false shoulder voodoo magic on account of the 7 WSM having a longer case head to shoulder length.

Was thinking the same thing............
To the OP - I've had both. I don't see any magic in either cartridge. They are same/same when handloaded. Had both at the same time and ran both for a few years. Sold the 7 RM because my WSM was more accurate plus it had a 24" barrel vs the 26" on the 7 RM. I see no need for 26" barrels on anything less than artillery.

You judge for yourself - I get 3200+ with 140's, 3000+ with 160's in 24" WSM. Got a bit more with the 26" 7RM but only due to 2" more barrel. It is simply a bullet launcher. Once you settle on the velocity your after for your intended bullet and game, its a matter of platform.
Great cartridge, the 7 WSM. I'd prefer to have one in a standard length action over the short action. My gripe with the WSM is the same as the RemMag: the neck is too short. Brass availability is or can be pretty sketchy. Case life is impressive for a magnum, and I've seen impressive accuracy from the M70's in this chambering. I'd swoop it up for 450!
Originally Posted by bwinters

7MM WSM - PER 250 Out of
7MM WSM - PER 500 Out of

P.V.

Gentlemen,

I have necked down 300 WSM's to 7mm WSM leaving a false shoulder on the neck.

My point is that the 7mm WSM, while being an interesting cartridge, has some problems of supply.

Thank you

I have a Kimber in 7 WSM I'm thinking about selling. Select, not Montana. If anyone is interested, shoot me a PM. It would come with dies and a couple hundred unfired 7 WSM brass, WW.
Posted By: Teal Re: I have a line on a 7mm WSM - 11/25/14
Originally Posted by bwinters

7MM WSM - PER 250 Out of
7MM WSM - PER 500 Out of

P.V.

Gentlemen,

I have necked down 300 WSM's to 7mm WSM leaving a false shoulder on the neck.

My point is that the 7mm WSM, while being an interesting cartridge, has some problems of supply.

Thank you

There is no problem with supply as there's a ton of 300 WSM out there to make cases from.

I swear it's like you never made it out of the third grade as far as reading comprehension.

And if you REALLY wanted some -

Here

Take what you need, flip the rest.

PLUS you can buy factory ammo to shoot and get brass

Here

Here

Here

Here

Here

Thanks Teal, I'm thinking my 7 WSM is really gonna move now, I may even raise the price.
My Rem SA based 7 WSM is by far my favorite rifle. I don't think one is better than the other performance wise. Only differences that would make any difference, if you are a nit picker, is the SA and belted case arguments. Neither seem to make a hill of beans IMO.

© 24hourcampfire