Home
Posted By: m77 Brass question, 223 Rem? - 05/18/15
I recently bought a Savage LRPV in 223 Rem. I am still waiting for the licence but would like to get the components ready for when I can collect the rifle.

I can Nosler Custom brass for a good price, but have no experience with them. How do they compare to Lapua and Norma?

Should I rather stick with one of the other two or is it worth trying the Nosler Customs?

Thanks

Pieter
Posted By: HawkI Re: Brass question, 223 Rem? - 05/18/15
I'd think they'd compare well with the Norma.....
Posted By: m77 Re: Brass question, 223 Rem? - 05/19/15
Thanks HawkI.

I have read a lot of mixed reviews on these but it was when they first put them on the market.

Pieter
Posted By: Darkker Re: Brass question, 223 Rem? - 05/21/15
He was teasing you, becuause Nosler brass is Norma brass...
Some Nosler brass is made by Norma. Some of their early stuff was made by Remington. They farm it out to who ever gives them the best price.
Posted By: mathman Re: Brass question, 223 Rem? - 05/21/15
JB says they've gone all Norma these days.

Some early 308 I got wasn't like any Remington I've had. More like a soft lot of Federal.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Brass question, 223 Rem? - 05/21/15
I only said I am pretty sure they're all Norma these days. Will know more soon.
Posted By: HawkI Re: Brass question, 223 Rem? - 05/21/15
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Some Nosler brass is made by Norma. Some of their early stuff was made by Remington. They farm it out to who ever gives them the best price.

Maybe, but that "farming out" process also means the capability of meeting ready to load status.

Federal Gold Medal, Norma, Lapua and RWS are perhaps the few that have done such in recent memory.

Remington will mark brass made in different plants as the same "lot" number; along with not even being the same weight or capacity. I have examples.

Most Nosler brass I've used (204, 223, 264 WM,7RM, 300 Roy, 338 Win.) has pretty much matched corresponding Norma brass (same chamberings) in weight, capacity and ready to load status, ie chamfered mouths, uniform necks and case length.

Norma also makes every cartridge case that Nosler makes available, something that domestic manufacturers do not offer.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Brass question, 223 Rem? - 05/22/15
If you can get Lapua where you live, I'd take that ANY DAY over Nosler....I say that living here in Oregon where Nosler is based at...
Posted By: Pahntr760 Re: Brass question, 223 Rem? - 05/22/15
Originally Posted by Seafire
If you can get Lapua where you live, I'd take that ANY DAY over Nosler....I say that living here in Oregon where Nosler is based at...

I'd even opt for LC over Nosler. Proper prep and it is very, very good brass.
Posted By: m77 Re: Brass question, 223 Rem? - 05/28/15
Thanks for the info guys.

THe Nosler brass was quite a bit cheaper than both Norma and Lapua. I did pick up a box and looking forward to trying them. I took a hard look at the Lapua brass but with the price difference I decided to try the Noslers.

I normally use Norma brass when they are available, but they were the most expensive by far.

Pieter
© 24hourcampfire