Home
Just got back from Dan Newberry's Bangsteel 1000 yard 2 day class. The Tikka CTR 260 performed admirably. Success out to 1100 yards with
Lapua Brass, 37 gr. of varget behind 140 Amax. The gun is much better than the guy behind it in this case.

Nothing fancy at the class but a great experience and a great place to shoot. Dan has excellent knowledge and had everyone hitting steel at long distances. The class was well worth the 10 hour drive. Highly recommend to anyone looking to shoot long range.

I don't know how long the drive would be but you're welcome to shoot steel here any time.

CTR's are pretty uber.

Travis
Thanks Travis
rylee: what optic did you use if I can ask?
Really nothing special. It was a Weaver grand slam tactical 3-10 from Midway. It was at the suggestion of Dan Newberry from Bangsteel.com None of my current scopes had tactical turrets and this scope does. Scope worked great.
I've met a couple guys at our range that use the Weavers and they track very well.

Travis
Originally Posted by rylee1
Really nothing special. It was a Weaver grand slam tactical 3-10 from Midway. It was at the suggestion of Dan Newberry from Bangsteel.com None of my current scopes had tactical turrets and this scope does. Scope worked great.

Wait a minute! Are you telling us you actually hit something past 300 yards with "only" 10x? grin
Yes sir I am
I still can't believe how much performance the CTR brings to the table for under a Grand.

What's the dope on that load at 600 and 1000? I'm guessing it was in the 2600fps ballpark?

Doesn't get any ÜBERER than .260 CTR and 10x glass...

[Linked Image]

My CTR is the tightest shooting POS I have ever owned.

Travis
That's a B&C p-dog by the way...

Travis
You are almost right on. I think it is just under 2600fps and from 800 to 1100 there is lots of drop. I think it was 10 mil at 1000 but very little recoil and that works for this old shoulder. based on my chart it is 4.2 mil at 600.
I'm waiting on the stainless version. Will be my first Tikkler.
rylee, which Weaver are you using? The 30mm version?

Tanner
Brown truck just dropped off another CTR.... also in .260.... a little Cerakote for the little lady....

[Linked Image]
very nice I like the cerakote. Did you apply that

and Tanner the Weaver was the 1 inch version

Rob
A buddy brought out a 308 CTR a couple of days ago. Pulled the stock, adjusted the trigger, mounted a scope and shot the 185gr Juggernaut load from the other guns. Easily the most for the least....
Cerakote is gayer than Tikka.

Travis
Here is the little Tikka [Linked Image]
Originally Posted by rylee1
very nice I like the cerakote. Did you apply that

Rob

No, I have younger brother who owns a shooting facility in northern CA... he did the Cerakote work.
There is a lot to like about those guns, wish they came in a left hand version........

Dogshooter are you planning on running the 123 gr Amax in your GF's gun? I remember you were very happy with that bullet.
We'll see.... she'll shoot 123 Scenars at the SRM this weekend, cause there isn't much time to get ready, and I know the Scenar load shoots sub-MOA to 600 outta a half dozen CTR .260s. When I get a chance, I'll let the rifle decide. She has a local buck Mule deer tag for 2nd season (she's never killed a deer, so she's pretty excited).... 140 Amax is the way I'm leaning. But if she runs hers the way she shoots the other CTR, I'd turn her lose inside 450 with just about any 120+ grain 6.5 bullet.

As a note on the 123 Amax vs. Scenar thing..... I think the Scenar is more consistently accurate across a broad range of variables like brass, COAL/BTO, powder, velocity, etc. I tend to shoot a lot more of the Amax, but only because they're 60% of the cost, and 95% of the accuracy. I shoot them both interchangeably... and the dope is only a click different at 600. Plus.... they do bad ugly things to vermin... and it ain't much fun, if goo don't get flung.

Cool. There are a ton of great 6.5mm bullets out there it would take a very long time to try all of them.........
Tikka's with very little tuning, a YoDave spring and steel recoil lug, will run with a 700 that has been thoroughly 'smithed'. Plus a fancy bolt handle is a 5 minute install.
I want one of these
Originally Posted by pseshooter300
I want one of these

Go buy one you cheap bastard.

Dave
Ya I know not really cheap jus tight. I have looked at them at buds store a couple times and think I want one just haven't bought one. Can't really decide in 308 or 260 already have a 260 Tikka but in a hunter don't have a 308 right now though.
No reason to bother with the .308 unless you want to run subsonics and stuff.

Travis
The 260 probably the best bet
Don't you have the 308?
I have the .308 but only because I can load the 190s with Trail Boss and have a good subsonic load.

Travis
© 24hourcampfire