Home
Posted By: Ringman elbow pads? - 07/21/15
Yesterday I did a ladder test and a couple five shot groups testing neck tension from the prone with a bipod. One of my elbows got a blister. Since I continued shooting the blister ruptured. I continued shooting. Then, because the skin was tender, it ripped off. Waa..

Are there elbow pads available for this kind of "fun"?
Posted By: Tanner Re: elbow pads? - 07/21/15
I've heard that they sell more knee pads up your way.

Tanner
Posted By: MontanaMarine Re: elbow pads? - 07/21/15
I've got a cheap set in my shooting pack. I think I ordered these from Grainger for about $14.00 or so. They are kind of nice for a lot of shooting, or rough ground.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: fredIII Re: elbow pads? - 07/21/15
You been talking to 16bore laugh He said he had been told something in that arena the other day.
Posted By: Crow hunter Re: elbow pads? - 07/22/15
Originally Posted by Ringman

There are plenty of different makers of elbow pads for sports, any sporting goods store should have a bunch to choose from.

I'd suggest one of the roll up shooting mats like midway sells. They're padded, keep you dry, clean, and free of thorns & critters.
Posted By: Castle_Rock Re: elbow pads? - 07/22/15
Yesterday I did a ladder test and a couple five shot groups testing neck tension from the prone with a bipod. One of my elbows got a blister. Since I continued shooting the blister ruptured. I continued shooting. Then, because the skin was tender, it ripped off. Waa..

That just sounds just a bit too far fetched to me, surely if your delicate elbows were getting bashed around at the beginning, you would have had the common sense to grab something soft to rest them on before continuing to rip skin off your body

How did it affect your shooting?
Posted By: Canazes9 Re: elbow pads? - 07/22/15
Originally Posted by Castle_Rock

That just sounds just a bit too far fetched to me, surely if your delicate elbows were getting bashed around at the beginning, you would have had the common sense to grab something soft to rest them on before continuing to rip skin off your body

http://youtu.be/aqDwqdSF6Ec

David
Posted By: Ringman Re: elbow pads? - 07/22/15
Castle_Rock,

I had a black naugahyde pad on the ground to keep my soft pad clean. For the most part my area was in the shade. Then the sun came over the hill and heated the pad, but I didn't realize it. Since I was wearing a short sleeve shirt my elbow instantly blistered when I got into position. I moved the pad but it didn't do any good. The naugahyde was already hot. That's when the skin rubbed off. I took the Leica 1200 out of its case and used it for a pad.

As far as the shooting goes, I started with the ladder test. It looked terrible to my ignorant eye. Then I fired five that were run through a neck sizer which made a 2" group at 410 yards. The first four measured 1 1/16". The full length sized made an 8" group. All the brass has been used several times.
Posted By: AJ300MAG Re: elbow pads? - 07/22/15
Originally Posted by Crow hunter

There are plenty of different makers of elbow pads for sports, any sporting goods store should have a bunch to choose from.

I'd suggest one of the roll up shooting mats like midway sells. They're padded, keep you dry, clean, and free of thorns & critters.

That shooting mat will still tear up your elbow. wink

I use a pad that was sold by shock doctor and intended for football players. Stay away from pads intended for things like inline skating. The plastic cup insert makes for an unstable position.

Elbow Protection
Posted By: AJ300MAG Re: elbow pads? - 07/22/15
I had a black naugahyde pad on the ground to keep my soft pad clean. For the most part my area was in the shade. Then the sun came over the hill and heated the pad, but I didn't realize it. Since I was wearing a short sleeve shirt my elbow instantly blistered when I got into position.

I shoot F-Class in a tee shirt. I sweat a lot when the temps get above 75°, isn't uncommon to be shooting when the temps are 90°+. I lay a white bath towel on my shooting mat, it absorbs the sweat and keeps my shooting mat a reasonable temprature.
Posted By: rainierrifleco Re: elbow pads? - 07/23/15
I use a setup that works really good for prarie dog shooting.folding .turkey chair camara tripod with a custom made rest..I rest my right elbo on my knee. After awhile it will chaff or blister...one of those neoprene elbo brasses works great. A little padding and a little more stable...
Posted By: George_De_Vries_3rd Re: elbow pads? - 07/30/15

Actually, I've had this same problem, having hurt my left elbow (left handed) with a fairly heavy recoiling T/C handgun in 444 Marlin as my elbow caught an edge on my heavy wooden shooting bench. I purchased some regular, neoprene-like athletic elbow pads at a sporting goods store.

I hate extra stuff in the heat of the summer but I already have free floating bone chips in both elbows.
Posted By: AJ300MAG Re: elbow pads? - 07/30/15
I purchased some regular, neoprene-like athletic elbow pads at a sporting goods store.

I hate extra stuff in the heat of the summer but I already have free floating bone chips in both elbows.

The pads I linked to are reverseable. By the time I'm up to shoot my third match of the day the interior of my pads are wet.
Posted By: memtb Re: elbow pads? - 08/07/15
It's funny that you mention this! I just told my wife that I was going to get an elbow pad! I ran 40 rounds through my 375AI doing the ladder drill this week searching for a good load with a Barnes 250TTSX. I always pad my bench with an old bath towel, but still tore a patch of hide off of my elbow pretty early in the process. It takes a little extra concentration when you know that every round is going to make that raw spot a little bigger. I ended-up putting on a large(2"x2" Band-Aid) to ease the discomfort. Until I get an elbow pad, I guess that's the route that I'll take!! memtb
© 24hourcampfire