Home
Posted By: Ringman How much velocity is lost? - 08/01/15
I am curious how much velocity does on loose going from a 26" barrel to a 24" barrel in a .264 Win Mag. Anyone know?
Depends on a lot of different things, but not enough to matter in the end.
20 to 40 fps per inch is the norm
Posted By: Ringman Re: How much velocity is lost? - 08/01/15
Thanks. I think it isn't worth the extra weight.
I'm thinking of chopping my .260 down from 24" to 22". Don't know that I'd lose that much velocity to matter...

Ringman, I don't know that I'd do that. The 264's ballistics were "made" in the 26" tube if I remember right. Wasn't it the Win model 70 Westerner? Anyway the "small" caliber magnums need all that tube generally more so than the larger bores and you could lose up to ~ 100 (or more?) fps and I doubt you'd save appreciable weight.

I think you know all that but you might give that a second thought.
Posted By: laker Re: How much velocity is lost? - 08/02/15
I wouldn't worry about the 100 fps loss but I doubt it would be that much. I had a 24" 264 win mag and sure didn't make me feel handicapped. 100fps less at 500 yards change point of impact by what 2 inches maybe?

It might not be but I saw a 270 Wea vary by that much with the same hand load between a 24" and a 26" barrel.

Part of my opinion comes from my OCD and allowing a cartridge to be and do what it was created for. A 264's forte was velocity. At 24" might just get a 270.....not that there is anything wrong with that. smile
Posted By: Ringman Re: How much velocity is lost? - 08/03/15
Ringman, I don't know that I'd do that. The 264's ballistics were "made" in the 26" tube if I remember right. Wasn't it the Win model 70 Westerner? Anyway the "small" caliber magnums need all that tube generally more so than the larger bores and you could lose up to ~ 100 (or more?) fps and I doubt you'd save appreciable weight.

I think you know all that but you might give that a second thought.

I did some arithmetic based on steel with a weight of .3 pounds per cubic inch. I discovered taking off 2" would reduce the weight by only 1.7 ounces.
Posted By: Darkker Re: How much velocity is lost? - 08/06/15
Originally Posted by taylorce1
Depends on a lot of different things, but not enough to matter in the end.

^^^^This right here^^^^^^
Originally Posted by Ringman
I am curious how much velocity does on loose going from a 26" barrel to a 24" barrel in a .264 Win Mag. Anyone know?

For comparison, google a Shooting Times test w/.257 Roy 24" (vanguard) vs a 26" (Mk5). No difference.
Originally Posted by Old_Toot

For comparison, google a Shooting Times test w/.257 Roy 24" (vanguard) vs a 26" (Mk5). No difference.

It doesn't mean squat with two different barrels. We all know some barrels are faster than others.

Data from a bunch of different barrels of two lengths might mean something, or one barrel cut back with data before and after.
Posted By: jeffpie Re: How much velocity is lost? - 08/08/15
Remington published data years ago stated , 25 fps per 1 inch of bbl gained or lost , it does matter,how ever with a custom bbl gains will be slightly more, this has been proved to me enough over the years with the use of a good Cronograph.
Originally Posted by Yondering
Originally Posted by Old_Toot

It doesn't mean squat with two different barrels. We all know some barrels are faster than others.

Data from a bunch of different barrels of two lengths might mean something, or one barrel cut back with data before and after.

Believe Whtby uses Krieger bbls.
© 24hourcampfire