Home
Good day.

Have any one used these on varmints or any other larger animals? To what extent do they expand? Velocity?

Thanks

Pieter
IME "expansion" is not the correct word. They don't expand like a hunting bullet, they do come apart however.
Without being as reliable and quick, think more of a slow destruction from a V-max type bullet.
Nathan Foster in New Zealand has done a lot of terminal performance testing with a number of bullets in a number of calibers. He says the VLD fragments a lot like the Amax, the latter breaking into larger pieces.

Now, Target vs. Hunting VLD is another matter, both labeled "Match". The Target version, reportedly, has a thicker jacket and may not fragment as well as the Hunting version.

A call to Berger may be warranted.

DF
How they perform will depend on how fast you push them ,or what case they are fired from.
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Target vs. Hunting VLD is another matter, both labeled "Match". The Target version, reportedly, has a thicker jacket and may not fragment as well as the Hunting version.

DF

Berger does not make Hunting VLD's in 22cal.

I used the 75gr VLD,s for about a year then switched to the 80gr VLD about 6-7 years ago, I primarily use them for rock chuck hunting and they perform well on chuck's even past 1000 yards fired from one of my 22-250AI's.

before you buy a bunch of the 75's you might want to try the 80's too,they are slightly more accurate in my rifles. have a better B.C. and you need a 1-8" twist for both.
Thanks for the info guys. The box says they are excellent for varmints but what excellent actually means in this sense might be anything smile

I might send Berger an email to find out what their findings have been.

Thanks

Pieter
© 24hourcampfire