Home
Posted By: Kato Bell and Carlson Stocks - 08/13/15
I have a 700 Remington with a Shilen barrel in .264 Magnum and didn't care for the HS Precision tactical stock that it wore. Anyone have any experience with Bell & Carlson Alaskan stocks? I like the looks of them and they are aluminum pillar bedded like the HS stocks.
If this is the wrong place for this question, I apologize.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Bell and Carlson Stocks - 08/13/15
Ive got three of them Best bang for the buck IMO and a bit better ergos than H-S
Posted By: TC1 Re: Bell and Carlson Stocks - 08/13/15
I had one years back on a 700 Ti. It does have pillar studs but the internals are just like the "carbolite" models, not very ridged. You'll also need a thin barrel, there isn't a lot of forend to work with near the tip.

I'm rattling on about a different stock.

sorry
Posted By: Bbear Re: Bell and Carlson Stocks - 08/13/15
I have one and like it very well! I have it on a #3 contour Pac-Nor 358 Win barrel and it shoots about .5" groups. Comfortable/good ergonomics but not the lightest stock I've had. Still, not so heavy as to be cumbersome or tiring toting it around.
Good stock for the $$$
Posted By: Bella1 Re: Bell and Carlson Stocks - 08/13/15
All of the Alaskans I have worked with Have had the full bedding block, HS style . I own a bunch of them Lefthanded and have done over 50 for customers, best stock I've found if you want to mount low!
Posted By: Bella1 Re: Bell and Carlson Stocks - 08/13/15
Go to Stockys site , they have a bunch!
Posted By: TC1 Re: Bell and Carlson Stocks - 08/13/15
My bad, the "Alaskan" part didn't register in my mind and I commented on the first generation Ti stocks. Thr first generation Ti stocks had the pillars, the Alaskan Ti was a different stock all together with a bedding block.

Sorry
I have one I like it I have no problem some people say the area around the grip is to big but I guess my hands fit it ok
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: Bell and Carlson Stocks - 08/16/15
My only complaints is that they don't offer a straight comb in sporter Weight barrels for Howa actions. They all have the Weatherby hump
Posted By: southwind Re: Bell and Carlson Stocks - 08/16/15
I like them, great value

[Linked Image]
Posted By: MuskegMan Re: Bell and Carlson Stocks - 08/16/15

I have one on my .264
Posted By: Vmaxed Re: Bell and Carlson Stocks - 08/18/15
I have owned several and think they are pretty good bang for the buck. I actually prefer them over similar HS stocks.
Posted By: 16bore Re: Bell and Carlson Stocks - 08/19/15
I've hated everyone I've ever had including the OG Ti take off on my 260. Cost is halfway to a Mcmillan, look under the cushions if you have to......
Posted By: ab_bentley Re: Bell and Carlson Stocks - 08/20/15
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I have had 5-6 of them. Love them.

Adam
Posted By: JMR40 Re: Bell and Carlson Stocks - 08/20/15
They are every bit as good as HS for less money. I couldn't see swapping HS for B&C. Seems like a lateral move to me. Both are almost identical in feel, balance and weight, B&C just costs less.

I like 'em well enough on a heavy target type rifle. On a hunting rifle, there are much better options that will be 1/2 lb lighter and not nearly as chunky.
Posted By: 16bore Re: Bell and Carlson Stocks - 08/21/15
If BC could get the inlet correct, fastener holes correct, and lose the termite holes, they might be a D+. No way they are equal to a HS.
Posted By: southwind Re: Bell and Carlson Stocks - 08/22/15
Originally Posted by 16bore
If BC could get the inlet correct, fastener holes correct, and lose the termite holes, they might be a D+. No way they are equal to a HS.

We get it, you don't like them.

I have b&c's H&S and McMillan's. Actually had to return one McMillan.

I own four b&c's and have not experienced any of what you have described. Not saying it doesn't happen but it isn't exclusive to b&c.

I have personally had to do more work on h&s than any other.

I like them all and the b&c is a very good value.
Posted By: 406_SBC Re: Bell and Carlson Stocks - 08/23/15
That's my take as well.

Their primary accolade is cost. If you get a dud, you'll be dollars ahead with a McMillan if your time is worth anything. I've had several B&Cs that run the gamut from garbage to not too bad. Never handled or shot one that made me think, "Wow, what a great stock." I think they have better ergonomics than HS, but never seen one rival the quality of an HS in either the inlet or composition. Though B&C service is fair when you need it, I've better customer service experience with HS and McMillan. However in fairness, my CS issues with all three have been pretty rare.

I think that if you have to have a cheap stock then maybe a B&C is a good way to go, but I don't consider them a good value. Obviously others find them perfectly suitable and I think part of that satisfaction is due to the differing expectations of various shooters. Some guys are perfectly satisfied with tupperware on their rifles and I'd have a hard time thinking that a B&C wouldn't be considered a huge step up for them. Others have higher expectations and the B&C stocks I've been acquainted with simply couldn't satisfy those expectations...
Posted By: toad Re: Bell and Carlson Stocks - 08/23/15
i'll take BC over HS by a wide margin.
Posted By: Bearcat74 Re: Bell and Carlson Stocks - 08/23/15

I like the feel of the B&C stocks but my 700 adl Ti stock was very poor. The action holes were not only off front to back they were also canted I guess where the pillars were intalled crooked.
Posted By: jmp300wsm Re: Bell and Carlson Stocks - 08/24/15
I have 6 of the Alaskan Ti and I am in the camp that thinks it is the best stock for the money out there. I do all my own bedding and barrel channel work myself so to me a few small imperfections are no big deal as I just handle it. They are light, stable , have decent ergo's and strong. YMMV

+1

B&C quality control sucks. And their CS is even worse. I picked up a used B&C stock on gunbroker and when I contacted them about the inletting being off center and the hole spacing wrong they told me they could not help me because I was not the original owner. The fact remains that the stock should have never left their facility. H-S is far superior and Mcmillan stocks even better yet. There are few companies that can match Mcmillans CS.
I like the ergos, and it was a good price, and it does look great. But I'm in the chitty QC camp. Mine was in need of some tlc before it was right. If I don't have the $$$ for a McMillan, I'll just tinker with the OEM wood or Tupperware next go round.
© 24hourcampfire