Home
Posted By: Ringman Different rifle node - 08/27/15
What's up with #3 & #6? What would the resident shooters load for?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Backroads Re: Different rifle node - 08/27/15
Looks like you pulled them.

You need to shoot longer than 300 yds with that rifle, far enough that there is vertical dispersion.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Different rifle node - 08/27/15
Don't close your eyes! smile
Posted By: Ringman Re: Different rifle node - 08/27/15
No shots were pulled as far I could tell in the scope.
Posted By: AJ300MAG Re: Different rifle node - 08/27/15
Look at the velocities. Someone needs a new chronograph, scale or both!
Posted By: summitsitter Re: Different rifle node - 08/27/15
Yeah im with backroads. Ya gonna have to step it back alittle farther
Posted By: Ringman Re: Different rifle node - 08/27/15
The range only goes to 300, but I know a place in the woods where I can go to 410. Lord willing I will give it a try Monday. I will not use brass #3 and #6.
Posted By: JeffP40 Re: Different rifle node - 08/28/15
Did you weight the brass? It could be smaller case capacity caused the velocity difference. Definitely not right on those two.
Posted By: Ringman Re: Different rifle node - 08/28/15
I will give that a try.
Posted By: RatherBHuntin Re: Different rifle node - 08/30/15
Originally Posted by JeffP40
Did you weight the brass? It could be smaller case capacity caused the velocity difference. Definitely not right on those two.

+1
Posted By: adam32 Re: Different rifle node - 09/02/15
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG

Yeah, I'd be more concerned with that then where the bullet ended up on the target. Something definitely isn't right...
Posted By: smokepole Re: Different rifle node - 09/02/15
You guys can draw that conclusion without knowing the cartridge and it's capacity?
Posted By: AJ300MAG Re: Different rifle node - 09/02/15
This has been an ongoing soap opera with ringman. Please try to keep up!

grin
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: Different rifle node - 09/02/15
ongoing +P
Posted By: smokepole Re: Different rifle node - 09/02/15
I'll back off and let you guys take the starring roles. grin
How about this one?

[Linked Image]

Oops, nevermind, that was buckshot....
Posted By: Topstock Re: Different rifle node - 09/04/15
Assuming your velocities are correct, the difference vertically in POI @ 300 yards should only be .9" Getting 6" of horizontal is the worrisome part. What was the wind doing? Do you shoot over wind flags?
Posted By: Ringman Re: Different rifle node - 09/04/15
Topstock,

Assuming your velocities are correct, the difference vertically in POI @ 300 yards should only be .9" Getting 6" of horizontal is the worrisome part. What was the wind doing? Do you shoot over wind flags?

There was a 12 O'Clock wind. I agree with your opinion about .9" due to velocity. I don't use wind flags. I'm beginning to think this rifle is not accurate. I'm going to try something different tomorrow.

He was going up by 1/2 grain increments with a 90+ gr case capacity, with a sample of 1 for each load. The Chronograph resluts could easily be valid. I've seen similar results with ladders in large cases.
Posted By: AJ300MAG Re: Different rifle node - 09/05/15
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

He was going up by 1/2 grain increments with a 90+ gr case capacity, with a sample of 1 for each load. The Chronograph resluts could easily be valid. I've seen similar results with ladders in large cases.

Thanks for the head's up!

I've done load work-up with both the. 300 & the .338RUM. I normally don't use a chronograph that early in load development, haven't seen that velocity jump.
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

Thanks for the head's up!

I've done load work-up with both the. 300 & the .338RUM. I normally don't use a chronograph that early in load development, haven't seen that velocity jump.

I helped a buddy of mine work up some loads for the 300RUM. The problem with shooting ladder is each load is just a sample of one. When you are loading 100+ grains of powder, one grain is not a very large gain, so sometimes with the small samples you it will appear your velocity will stall out for a few increment until the overall increase in powder overcomes the margin of error.

If you repeated the test with 4-5 shots per load you would probably see a more normal progression.
© 24hourcampfire