Home
Posted By: tcb22 what caliber? - 11/09/15
Would like some opinions on what caliber to get. In the near future I want to build a med/long range hunting rifle, however I want it to be built on a Rem 700 short action. I just picked up the magpul hunter stock which I'm going to use for the build. I'am wondering if I should go 7mm-08 or .260 rem or???
Posted By: bobnob17 Re: what caliber? - 11/09/15
Very open ended question mate.

If you don't handload I'd suggest 308 Win.

If you're a handloader, other calibres are open, but what do you intend to shoot with it? If just paper or steel maybe the 243 Win or 6.5 Creed?

Whatever, make sure you keep the projectile you intend to use, in mind when ordering your components.

Good luck!
Posted By: tcb22 Re: what caliber? - 11/09/15
I hand load and have a .308, .243 and a 7mm-08. As far as hunting deer and elk mainly. I shoot an A-max in my .308 for target, it is very accurate and I am not opposed to using it in another caliber for game.
Posted By: bea175 Re: what caliber? - 11/09/15
260 Rem
Posted By: jakelly Re: what caliber? - 11/09/15
6.5 SAUM. Nothing compares in a SA 700.
Posted By: ringworm Re: what caliber? - 11/09/15
257 weatherby
Posted By: coldboremiracle Re: what caliber? - 11/09/15
257 Weatherby might be hard to fit in a SA.

OP, nothing wrong with the calibers you already have. But if you need a reason to build a new gun, then 260 gets my vote. Great cartridge for medium and LR hunting, depending of course on your quarry.
Posted By: Hondo64d Re: what caliber? - 11/10/15
Between the two choices you mention, I would prefer the .260. Depending on which mag box you are using, I would add a 6.5x47 and 6.5CM in for consideration.

John
Posted By: Sharpsman Re: what caliber? - 11/10/15
Whether you reload or not....I'd say the .308 Winchester! I'll outperform 98% of the people that opt for it!!
Posted By: tcb22 Re: what caliber? - 11/10/15
It will be set up to use AI mags. Will the creedmore or 6.5x47 fit in the AI mags?
Posted By: Dantheman Re: what caliber? - 11/10/15
270 WSM.

Dan
Posted By: thomasgajan Re: what caliber? - 11/11/15
I have always been partial to the P O ACKERLY improved calibers
Posted By: Esox357 Re: what caliber? - 11/11/15
308 is never a bad choice!
Posted By: one horn Re: what caliber? - 11/11/15
.260, creed, 7-08, or 7wsm. Lots of GOOD bullet options for them.
Posted By: Hondo64d Re: what caliber? - 11/12/15
Originally Posted by tcb22
It will be set up to use AI mags. Will the creedmore or 6.5x47 fit in the AI mags?

The CM and x47 will certainly fit in the .308 AI mags. What you are trying to accomplish is to be able to reach the lands with the VLD type bullets and chase them for a while as the throat wears. You can do that with a .260 and a 2.8" box if it is properly throated but at 2.8" you are seating the bullets really deep in the case and the ogive is getting mighty close to the case mouth. For those reasons, in a 2.8" box, I'd prefer the x47 or CM. If the AI box allows a 2.9" or greater COAL, a .260 would work fine if you prefer it over the other two.

John
Posted By: tcb22 Re: what caliber? - 11/13/15
Thanks for the info, do you guys think the creedmore is superior to the .260 if you are hand loading or is it a draw
Posted By: nathanial Re: what caliber? - 11/13/15
Posted By: Homesteader Re: what caliber? - 11/13/15
coldboremiracle - "257 Weatherby might be hard to fit in a SA."
Nah, it ain't that hard to make it fit. First you oil the chamber real good so the brass can't get stuck. Next you wack the end of the bolt hard with a BMFH while your bud pounds it shut. It's a timing thing, see.

Might take a few brews to get this far BUT the result will be worth it. And that is how you make the .257 Weatherby fit into a SA rifle. Simple, right! LOL

Homesteader
Posted By: tarheelpwr Re: what caliber? - 11/13/15
I'd vote for the 6.5 CM. it's nice having quality factory ammo that's affordable as an option.
Posted By: xphunter Re: what caliber? - 11/14/15
Superior? No Different? yes
Both work fine. Critters won't be able to tell the difference.
Darrel Holland/Hollands Shooting Supply will have my 6.5 Creed done sometime after the first of the year.
Originally Posted by tcb22
Thanks for the info, do you guys think the creedmore is superior to the .260 if you are hand loading or is it a draw
Posted By: slm9s Re: what caliber? - 11/14/15
Will you use it to hunt elk, or just deer sized critters? Long range hunting for our roosevelts in a short action size cartridge would mean 270wsm/7wsm/300wsm to me. If elk aren't on the menu, 243 on up should work well. Your opnion may vary.

Posted By: xphunter Re: what caliber? - 11/14/15
With elk I would lean toward the 7 SAUM or 300 SAUM
Posted By: tcb22 Re: what caliber? - 11/15/15
I would like to include elk, the creedmore sounds nice but I'm wondering if the 7mm-08 would be better. What about the .284 Winchester?
Posted By: xphunter Re: what caliber? - 11/15/15
I have used the 284 Win to kill a number of elk
Posted By: George_De_Vries_3rd Re: what caliber? - 11/15/15
I seem to one of the few here with a custom .284 on a S/A 700 (3.1" box) that has no regrets about it and would do it again. Most here seem to advise against it and it's true there are some good other alternatives out there. However, I'm very happy with mine. It's very light at 6.25 lbs with a Z3 on board. I can load to an OAL of 2.95" and even with the l-o-n-g TTSXs I can fling the 140 to 3050 and the 150 to 2950 with R17 without straining. It is very accurate and I've taken a whitetail at 500 yards with it and other game much closer in.

I originally planned on the 7 SAUM but the gunsmith balked claiming feeding problems with it but he was enthused about the 284; this may have just been his bias; I don't know. And, actually, with as light as it is, I really don't need much more recoil. But the 260, 7mm-08, 7 SAUM, 6.5 SAUM all would deserve a look-see I'd think. A lot of good bullets for this group.

Edited to add: I'd have no reservations about using it on elk with either of those two bullets mentioned or some others. In fact, I built it as fitting my concept of a mountain rifle; the thing is, mountain rifles work well most other places too.
© 24hourcampfire