Home
Posted By: Hutch 28 Nosler - 01/03/16
I'm thinking about having one built for long range.I plan on using the 175 Eld-X or similar.Most of my shooting will be at sea level except for the occasional hunting trip at higher levels.What twist would ya'll recommend? I'm thinking 8.

Thanks Hutch
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 28 Nosler - 01/03/16
Nosler twists the 28 at 9.

My 7RM Brux is 8. The 26 Nos is 8.

You could stick with the company line at 9 or go 8. I'd probably go 8 with a custom build. 9 would work, but to me, 8 gives some margin for future use of heavier, high ogive bullets. 8.5 would be an option.

IMO.

DF
Posted By: NWBlacktail Re: 28 Nosler - 01/03/16
I did my 280 Ackley with a 1:8.

A 1:9 covers almost everything, but why limit yourself? The 168 Barns LRX requires a 1:8. And of course the grand daddy Berger 195 EOL Elite Hunter needs the 1:8.

Posted By: Hutch Re: 28 Nosler - 01/03/16
Kinda what I was thinking.

Thanks Hutch
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: 28 Nosler - 01/03/16
I made my 280AI barrel up at 1:8 as well.

The LRX requires it... So done.
Posted By: Canazes9 Re: 28 Nosler - 01/03/16
I see no downside to the faster twist. I had my 7mm-08AI built w/ an 8" twist. It is extremely accurate with 150grn ScenarL's, a bullet that clearly doesn't need an 8" twist.

David
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 28 Nosler - 01/03/16
My guess, Nosler found that 9 would stabilize their bullets and went with it. Don't think they were too concerned about stabilizing the LRX... laugh

I think the OP has gotten good advice.

DF
Posted By: gzig5 Re: 28 Nosler - 01/04/16
Originally Posted by Canazes9
I see no downside to the faster twist. I had my 7mm-08AI built w/ an 8" twist. It is extremely accurate with 150grn ScenarL's, a bullet that clearly doesn't need an 8" twist.

David

"Theoretically" a slower twist rate will provide better accuracy for lighter bullets in a given caliber. Something to due with gyroscopic imbalance and spin rate. The faster an unbalanced bullet (very rarely are they perfect) is spinning, the more likely it is to go off course. Probably wouldn't make much difference in the hunting fields, but that is the reason why benchrest competitors and LR/Palma shooters use the slowest twist that will comfortably stabilize the bullets they use.
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: 28 Nosler - 01/04/16
The precision impact of this effect is outside of the resolution of anything but BR rifles, in most cases.

Go 8 twist.
Posted By: Canazes9 Re: 28 Nosler - 01/04/16
Originally Posted by gzig5

David

"Theoretically" a slower twist rate will provide better accuracy for lighter bullets in a given caliber. Something to due with gyroscopic imbalance and spin rate. The faster an unbalanced bullet (very rarely are they perfect) is spinning, the more likely it is to go off course. Probably wouldn't make much difference in the hunting fields, but that is the reason why benchrest competitors and LR/Palma shooters use the slowest twist that will comfortably stabilize the bullets they use.

Bullets are dramatically better today than they were in years past. Bryan Litz and others are starting to shoot faster and faster twists with great success. To me the advantages to being able to shoot any bullet offered (by any manufacturer) fully stabilized with full effective BC far outweigh any theoretical concerns over gyroscopic imbalance. There is no downside to increased twist.

David
Posted By: BobinNH Re: 28 Nosler - 01/04/16
You choose a 28 Nosler not as a target or BR round. You don't even choose it with an eye toward lighter bullets. In my mind you choose it to take advantage of the heavier 7mm bullets and the ability of the cartridge to start them at high velocity.Otherwise what's the point?

I say churn them over!
Posted By: Ghostwalker Re: 28 Nosler - 01/04/16
^^^Good advice Bob, a cartridge with a large powder capacity that drives high BC bullets accurately is very enjoyable to shoot long range.
Posted By: Hutch Re: 28 Nosler - 01/04/16
You hit the nail on the head Bob.The reason I asked was because the people I have been talking to currently twist it at 9.I didn't want to be hamstrung with choices.I didn't think an 8 twist would be detrimental,but I wanted to be sure.Thanks for all the replies.

Hutch
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 28 Nosler - 01/05/16
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
The precision impact of this effect is outside of the resolution of anything but BR rifles, in most cases.

Go 8 twist.

Agreed.

Bullet irregularities, it seems, have become less of an issue with the quality of bullets currently available.

And, for sure, a non issue with hunting rifles.

Some say extra velocity can compensate somewhat for twist. In my experience, velocity is a weak substitute for twist.

DF
Posted By: bea175 Re: 28 Nosler - 01/05/16
8 or 9 you probably won't be able to tell the difference in real life shooting. This a hunting round and most won't use target bullets for this purpose .
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 28 Nosler - 01/05/16
Originally Posted by Hutch
You hit the nail on the head Bob.
Hutch

That happens fairly often... grin

DF
Posted By: xphunter Re: 28 Nosler - 01/07/16
Mine will be a 8.5T Brux, 26 inch barrel. Extended Wyatt's box and set up for the 195 Hybrid.
Posted By: HEB330 Re: 28 Nosler - 01/07/16
Ernie,

That's a big tube for a "hand cannon" wink

Should be a heckuva setup. Hope all is well in Gillette.

Originally Posted by xphunter
Mine will be a 8.5T Brux, 26 inch barrel. Extended Wyatt's box and set up for the 195 Hybrid.
Posted By: xphunter Re: 28 Nosler - 01/09/16
This is a RIFLE. smile
A lefty.
Manners stock.
Posted By: HEB330 Re: 28 Nosler - 01/09/16
wink

Posted By: xphunter Re: 28 Nosler - 01/10/16
Going to put my Kahles 624i on it and go play at distance smile
Posted By: propulsionclimbing Re: 28 Nosler - 02/01/16
Anyone know of a gunsmith who has a reamer with the correct freebore for either the 195 grain Hybrid or the 175 ELD-X? I have all of the parts for a 28 Nosler including a Brux 1-8.5 twist barrel. I'm just trying to find someone with a reamer other than the SAAMI spec which stuffs these longer bullets way too deep into the case.
Posted By: gzig5 Re: 28 Nosler - 02/02/16
You could invest in a 7mm Uni-Throater from PTG or find a smith that has one and set the length of the throat to whatever you want, longer than SAAMI. Might be able to rent one from reamer rentals or 4D.
Posted By: tonyb Re: 28 Nosler - 02/15/16
tag
Posted By: Bluemonday Re: 28 Nosler - 02/15/16

David

Some say too much twist causes yaw, indicated by an apparent lowering of B.C. downrange. OTH, Litz and Tubb like twist, and they've burned up more barrels than I ever will. Out to 6-700yd, I doubt it matters as long as the bullet is stable.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 28 Nosler - 02/15/16
I'd sure as heck rather spin them a tad fast than a tad slow...

DF
Posted By: Okbow87 Re: 28 Nosler - 02/15/16
Originally Posted by propulsionclimbing
Anyone know of a gunsmith who has a reamer with the correct freebore for either the 195 grain Hybrid or the 175 ELD-X? I have all of the parts for a 28 Nosler including a Brux 1-8.5 twist barrel. I'm just trying to find someone with a reamer other than the SAAMI spec which stuffs these longer bullets way too deep into the case.

I know Beanland has built several of these. Last time I was in his shop we were talking about them and he had just got done building 3. He told me he used the SAAMI reamer and then lengthened the throat out to what each guy wanted. If I recall correctly, he said about 100 thousandths to get the 195 to the sweet spot.
© 24hourcampfire