Home
Posted By: xphunter Having fun killing wild pigs - 04/09/16
Wasn't sure where to post this, so I put it here, since I post here more than anywhere else;
I had the most fun hunting a couple of weeks ago over a 3-day period than I can remember for at least 3 years.
Met up with a good friend, and the two us took 12 pigs all together. Some are not pictured here.
All were spot and stalk.
Some were from standing positions off of fence post, or off of Bog-Gear, sitting, and prone.
Shots ranged from 50 yards to far away.
There was a lot of synchronized shooting on the same pig (for the fun of it) to synchronized shooting on individual animals (some were moving).
I shot right handed on one pig (I am a lefty).
Farmer was very happy as they have been destroying his crops (corn and wheat).
Look forward to making this a regular trip.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Since this is the Long Range Forum, edit your post and only show pics of the pigs taken at over 600 yds, otherwise how are we to know?

smile
Looks like a good time...congrats!
wow you are definitely my favorite guy here from now on. those things can rip you apart of some had gone wrong like you rifle got jammed up or something like that. where you all alone hunting???and what did you do with them afterwards.
Cool, great fun they are and some are good eats.

mgg... rip you apart? Really? I've hunted them for 30 plus years now, and I've never had a single bad incident. I've had a few you had to watch, one I had to move out of the way of, after a bow shot, and one I had to kick in teh snout. But they are no more dangerous than a deer really. As long as you pay attention. At least ours around here aren't.

In fact I have more injuries from releasing deer caught in a fence than I've had with pigs.

Although one we caught live did manage to bite my thumbnail a bit when he chewed through the light rope we had the snout tied shut with while waiting on bigger rope....gnawer we called him...
What rifle/load?
Remington 700 Action
16.25" Krieger Barrel (threaded)
Timney Trigger
AICS
MARS Rail
Leupold 3-9 TS-30 A2
Hornady TAP / 168 A-Max
We were in Texas.
No spotlights, flashlights or IR's were used in killing the pigs and it was all done at night.
All the toys were taken off for pics.
Just me and my buddy were hunting.
Maybe I should say we did some distance shooting for it being at night.
I never shot this time beyond 600 yards at night.
Looks like an awesome time! 600 or not, I would take this trip anytime. Thanks for the share!
Looks like great time. How were you able to see them without the aid of spotlights or IR? Moonlight?
We had moon some of the time for sure, that is why both of our rifles had MARS rails on them...helpful enhancement of available light.
Everything we did was with the use of technology, whether we were spotting, walking or jogging, or shooting.
My friend was shooting a very similar rig but in 243 Win/105 A-Max
Posted By: Bbear Re: Having fun killing wild pigs - 04/12/16
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmoooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhh Bacon
That's the kind of hogs you find when an area hasn't been hunted much .

Ernie -you should stuff that little pig -make a pillow out of it -real conversation piece you'd have.
Originally Posted by ol_mike
That's the kind of hogs you find when an area hasn't been hunted much .

And/or no trapping.

Looks like LOTS of fun!!!
Looks like a great time. Thanks for posting.
Wish i could kill some pigs. They haven't made to public land in Colorado yet. Not that anyone really wants them on their land.
Looks like a nice time was had.

Congratulations.
Love the pig pics..... but is there a video?
Sorry but there is no video.
There was only two of us, and all of our hunting spot and stalk.
We didn't even take pictures of every pig we killed.

Who ate the pigs?
Family and friends of the friend I hunted with.
Some we did not even open up.
We were in eradication mode as they had cost the farmer thousands of dollars already in crop damage.
What part of texas and what type of crops? I farm/ranch in the high plains and am covered up in pigs too.
Bucket list hunt right there! You shot some big pigs! Let me know if you need a third wheel next time. smile
Originally Posted by Willicd76
What part of texas and what type of crops? I farm/ranch in the high plains and am covered up in pigs too.

Are you in the Amarillo area?
We were on corn and wheat fields.
This lil piggy went to the market.. this lil piggy stayed home.. This lil piggy went ...BANG ! wait what ! ? grin
That one put a smile on my face smile
Originally Posted by xphunter

Ernie, I hope you saved that lil cinnamon colored hog whole for the BBQ... Them little ones are delicious!!!!!!!
Posted By: BH63 Re: Having fun killing wild pigs - 05/10/16
I get satisfaction out of killing big game, but I wouldn't characterize it as "fun". JMO

BH63

I was laff'n as I typed. laugh
Originally Posted by BH63
I get satisfaction out of killing big game, but I wouldn't characterize it as "fun". JMO

BH63

Oh, it's fun all right. If it was not, I'd just go to shopping instead.
Posted By: Grand Re: Having fun killing wild pigs - 05/12/16

BH63

Shooting pigs is like shooting yotes or squirrels......its FUN

BH63

A feral hog is not what I consider "big game".

They are a neusence at best...and in large numbers...they are a ecological hazzard!
Originally Posted by wyoming260

Ernie, I hope you saved that lil cinnamon colored hog whole for the BBQ... Them little ones are delicious!!!!!!!

Sure did!
Let me express "the reasons," why those three days were SO FUN!:
I was with a good friend
I was hunting
I was hunting at night
I was using brand "unobtainable" gear
I was doing types of positional shooting and synchronized shooting that are not typical for me.
We killed a lot of critters in a short amount of time.
Spot-N-Stalk
Did other types of handgun shooting during the day which involved me shooting while walking to the point of almost trotting in every direction and off-hand.
Was able to shoot a new custom revolver at 100 yards.
Plus, a number of other reasons... smile
Posted By: hanco Re: Having fun killing wild pigs - 07/11/16
Check out all the pig pics under Ask the gun writers, favorite hog gun
Posted By: hanco Re: Having fun killing wild pigs - 07/27/16
We hunt in Burnet Texas, tons of pigs. Look in Ask the Gun Writers, best hog gun. Lots of pig pics
Burnet, TX.

Drop in to Storm's and have a burger for me.
I know right where that is at. We hunt on the Fry ranch, northwest of town., county road 108
It's a whole lot of fun. Pigs aren't big game. They rate just lower than cockroaches. The first time I walked outside and the yard had been root plowed and my dog killed they ceased to big game. I used to be able to have a deer feeder, but cannot because it brings hogs too. They still come around when we have acorns. I kill all i can.
Anybody that says it isn't fun, doesn't know what fun is.

From left to right.
Me, Roof, 7mmMato

[Linked Image]
A few more dead corn eaters. You get extra points for spotted piggies.
I didn't draw any antelope or elk tags this year (thanks to the over abundance of wolves).
I plan on a pig hunt in TX this Dec-Feb - I can't handle TX any other time of year. A buddy has a place between Menard and Junction, guessing a couple hundred miles from Austin.
Gotta due something to fill my freezer - man can not live on rabbit and deer alone!
Posted By: hanco Re: Having fun killing wild pigs - 08/08/16
Dont touch any wild pigs without gloves. They carry brucellosis, supposedly up to 30% of them. After I saw an article about how messed up a man became after he became infected, I am not going to clean one. Be careful !!!
Posted By: JPro Re: Having fun killing wild pigs - 08/08/16
Several of the Wildlife and Fisheries personnel here have told me that our herds have tested positive as well.

My dad has killed 10 in the last three weeks from the front porch of his house. Never know when or where the things are going to turn up, but a little corn from a feeder every evening will generally have them out in the daylight at some point.
Posted By: hanco Re: Having fun killing wild pigs - 08/09/16
Kill them all.
I think there are some elk around here with brucellosis. I'm guessing it can be killed by thorough cooking. I usually wear gloves while field dressing, but it never fails that by the end the gloves are in shreds. Thanks for the heads up.
Posted By: hanco Re: Having fun killing wild pigs - 08/18/16
Trapping pigs is a bunch of fun,
Remington 700 Action
Timney Trigger
AICS
MARS Rail
Leupold 3-9 TS-30 A2
Hornady TAP / 168 A-Max

Are we to assume you're shooting a 308 Winchester?
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Remington 700 Action
Timney Trigger
AICS
MARS Rail
Leupold 3-9 TS-30 A2
Hornady TAP / 168 A-Max

Are we to assume you're shooting a 308 Winchester?

You are correct.
Some serious self-sharpeners there.
Posted By: efw Re: Having fun killing wild pigs - 09/15/16
Dewd that looks like an absolute BLAST!!! Awesome pics thanks for sharing 600 yds or not!
you show be a national hero. nice kill, great photos, much appreciated.
© 24hourcampfire