Home
Posted By: trailrider121 Atlas Bipod - 06/11/16
Planning on purchasing an Atlas bipod for my hunting rifle. I'll be upgrading from a Harris swivel 7-13". I'm looking at the BT47-LW17 PSR Atlas Bipod: Tall with ADM 170-S Lever. Any advice would be great from those who are using Atlas bipods.
Posted By: greentimber Re: Atlas Bipod - 06/11/16
Can't imagine any reason I'd ever go back to a Harris. Love the Atlas. It's also 4oz lighter than a similar Harris. Win/win. They do have leg extensions you can get for the Atlas, btw. I prefer the short/regular/base model (whatever you want to call it) then can add extensions if needed, though I typically just jump to shooting sticks if the standard length won't work.
Posted By: fredIII Re: Atlas Bipod - 06/11/16
I really enjoy my atlas. most of my rifles are set up with a 1913 rail
Posted By: trailrider121 Re: Atlas Bipod - 06/12/16
Good info to know. From what I've read lots of fake Atlas floating around, and plan to buy new.
Posted By: fredIII Re: Atlas Bipod - 06/12/16
They are awesome you will love using it
Posted By: coleridge Re: Atlas Bipod - 06/13/16
I'm in the opposite boat. I won an Atlas certificate & got the bi-pods and AFAR kit for my rail straight from AS & off I went...

The pan feature was nice, but in all other aspects, I hated the atlas. In two outings I was feed up & went back to Harris. Too each his own, but that was my liking...
Posted By: trailrider121 Re: Atlas Bipod - 06/13/16
Coleridge,

Thanks for your input. I've read some guys don't care for them. Myself have never use one, and would like to try it out for hunting season on my 28 Nosler. Where's a good place to buy them? Any father day specials going on?
Posted By: coleridge Re: Atlas Bipod - 06/14/16
Yep, everyone is different. You won't know till you try it.

Think they are about the same price everywhere. Although midway has one of their "deals" going on right now. Think they have $25 off $250 code. Add a box of bullets & doubt you can find one cheaper.

For what it's worth- I have or have had about every bi-pod including most all of the big f-class style bi-pods with the exception of SEB Joy-pod (although I hope to get one soon). There are many better than the Harris for shooting, but as a field bi-pod (compact & fold-able) with versatility of being "quick". The Harris is hard to beat. However, with a little practice & proper technique, one can still be VERY accurate off either. Comes down to personal preference.

Posted By: Blackbrush Re: Atlas Bipod - 06/14/16
Sorry to hijack... I have a new SEB that I will sell. Thought I would get into competition but haven't found the time to do so.
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Atlas Bipod - 06/20/16
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I have killed 18 deer and 2 antelope with Harris.
I have killed 4 deer with Atlas.

I like the Harris swivel better.
I try to build (3) custom rifles a year for myself. That is a lot of bipods.

Posted By: deflave Re: Atlas Bipod - 06/21/16
That thing in the first pic doesn't look like a rifle.

It looks like an abortion.

Dave
Posted By: Kaleb Re: Atlas Bipod - 06/21/16
Cutting corners to pay for all those bipods
Posted By: ryanjay11 Re: Atlas Bipod - 06/21/16
I like the one Atlas I have...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Atlas Bipod - 06/21/16
Originally Posted by deflave
That thing in the first pic doesn't look like a rifle.

It looks like an abortion.

Dave

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I designed and built a lot of the parts myself. That was my 257 Roberts Ackley rimmed wildcat project.
I wanted a bi pod mount that did not flex the barrel on a falling block.

If I did it again, I would go co-ax tube around the barrel [like some AR15s] instead of a 1" Aluminum tube below the barrel.
The stock and forend are breathtaking.

Dave
The forstock was a piece of scrap wood with nail holes.
I was building a number of rifles very fast just before hunting season.

That one got to the long range targets looking half done, but shot the lights out at 400 yards with 115 gr Nos bal tips.

It aced out the good looking rifles I built and shot 4 deer that year.
Where is the balance point on that particular rig?

Dave
Right under the nail holes.
The wood is to isolate the lower Aluminum tube from the hand.
The high specific heat and low thermal impedance of Aluminum feels cold to the touch at 3000 feet where I hunt.
Makes sense.

Clark
Posted By: Tanner Re: Atlas Bipod - 06/21/16
I usually aim for my balance point to be right around the nail holes too.

Tanner
Posted By: smokepole Re: Atlas Bipod - 06/21/16
Originally Posted by Clarkm
I was building a number of rifles very fast just before hunting season.

Thats how I do it too. No sense planning ahead or taking your time on something like that. My neighbor's fixing to tear down his fence, so I'll have plenty of raw materials for this year's run.
Posted By: 65X54 Re: Atlas Bipod - 06/24/16
Ruger has already paid your neighbor for this years run of No.1 wood..... smile

Have a couple of Atlas bipods that I find to work very well. Harris's work just fine also though.
© 24hourcampfire