Home
So here's the deal. My cousin has a Browning .300 Win Mag Long Range Hunter and he wants to be able to shoot an elk at 600 yards with it. The kicker is he does not reload and I doubt he shoots through a box of ammo in a year.

Also, he has been running a Burris Black Diamond on it and using factory Winchester 180gr Ballistic Tips with some success already, an elk and a mule deer. But now he wants to move up to a custom Nightforce and wants to switch to a more suitable elk load to match with the new scope's drop compensation.

Now, I don't agree with his line of thinking but that's what he wants. I know he'd be better off getting in some more trigger time than just throwing money at the problem.

What is an easily found, dependable, premium factory loading that would be suitable for elk at long range? I was thinking maybe the new Hornady ELD-X or some flavor of Accbond, provided they shoot MOA in his gun.

These may help his situation:

http://www.buyabmammo.com/300-win-mag.html
Check out either ABM or Hsm ammo Have some good options.My 300wsm shoots the 168 hsm Bergers really well so that's what we went with.Is it the best elk medicine maybe not but it worked really well.
In a factory load the heavy for caliber ABM'S would be my choice if held to factory settings and my barrel would stabilize them.
You should take the rifle away from him and buy him some golf clubs, soccer ball, or perhaps a butterfly net.

He shoots one box of factory loads a year and wants to go out and start blasting away at 600 yard elk!!!

Slob hunter el supremo

Lefty C
Originally Posted by leftycarbon
You should take the rifle away from him and buy him some golf clubs, soccer ball, or perhaps a butterfly net.

He shoots one box of factory loads a year and wants to go out and start blasting away at 600 yard elk!!!

Slob hunter el supremo

Lefty C

Amen!!
I don't disagree.

The 180 ballistic tips that he is already shooting will work just fine at 600 yards if the shooter is up to the task
© 24hourcampfire