Home
Posted By: Carl_Ross Cheating - 09/25/16
[Linked Image]

I swapped out tripods and heads recently so that along with holding my spotting scope it can do this. Just got the plate bolted up to a rifle tonight. Live fire will confirm, but this seems like it is going to be some high level cheating. I'm holding half moa from sitting and moa from standing without rear support. Looking forward to setting up on a steep rockslide somewhere!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Cheating - 09/25/16
Nice rifle Carl. I see you are selling your .223 rem Tikka you used in your positional match, or maybe that was formid. You probably won't be able to use this rifle for something like that, but I bet it shoots lights out. Damn nice buddy!!
Posted By: Carl_Ross Re: Cheating - 09/25/16
My chunky rifles actually balance pretty well, and I've shot that positional drill with them a bunch. 18/20 and up is what I expect shooting them!

My lighter hunting rifle will be getting an Arca-Swiss plate too, but I bolted this one up first. The tripod will get used as a rest in competition as well as hunting. The Snipers Hide Cup this year required a tripod or similar for a TON of stages. After shooting it using borrowed stuff from squadmates, I decided to get a setup for myself.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Cheating - 09/25/16
Pretty cool set-up..
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: Cheating - 09/25/16
Nice.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Cheating - 09/26/16
so, what's the new tripod and head?
Posted By: smokepole Re: Cheating - 09/26/16
Scissor jack is the head, but that's been done before.....

PS, Carl, that's just an inside joke with Huntsman, don't want to detract from your thread.
Posted By: Carl_Ross Re: Cheating - 09/29/16
No worries Smoke. Don, the legs are Feisol 3342's and the head is a Sirui K40x.

Did some live fire testing yesterday.

[Linked Image]

Stuff NEVER feels quite as stable at the range as it does dryfiring at home, but I'm used to that.

[Linked Image]

The bottom 5 shot group was a prone/bipod zero confirmation. It isn't always quite that pretty, got to enjoy those!

The group on the left is my first five shots from sitting, otherwise unsupported. I didn't put myself on the clock, but tried to get them off in a reasonable amount of time, I'd guess it took just over a minute.

The group on the right is my first five shots from standing. The rightmost one was my first. Perhaps I was getting the feel for things, but I bet if I shot a bunch of 5 shot groups like that standing I'd have one out as often as not.

I was pretty sure I could do better than my first try sitting, so I setup again, this time supporting the rear of the rifle with sticks. It went well.

[Linked Image]

I then shot some 1.5 moa steel at longer ranges from sitting unsupported. It felt like no handicap at all, except it was tougher to spot shots at the closer distances. I'll have to work on that. Overall, I'm quite pleased and think that this will give me just the capability I was hoping for.
Posted By: starsky Re: Cheating - 09/29/16
Good stuff. I'll have to look into one of these setups...
Posted By: Brad Re: Cheating - 09/29/16
Carl, what glass on your rig?
Posted By: Tanner Re: Cheating - 09/29/16
Originally Posted by starsky
Good stuff. I'll have to look into one of these setups...

Great... My pack is getting even heavier...

Tanner
Posted By: Carl_Ross Re: Cheating - 09/29/16
Brad, it's a Bushnell DMR that's been around the block and shows it. I'll upgrade it someday but it just keeps working.

Tanner, I had a heavy and a light tripod, this splits the difference weight wise. It'll probably be a 1 lb weight increase for me, but will be a nicer tripod for glassing from as well.
Posted By: deflave Re: Cheating - 09/29/16
Looks good.

Travis
Posted By: vacrt2002 Re: Cheating - 09/29/16
Like that a whole lot! Amazing country too.
Posted By: Sharpsman Re: Cheating - 10/11/16
Damn! If we'd had those at the Alamo Santa Anna would have carried his brown azz back to Mexico post haste!

As it was we just shot off the shoulder and made 'em pay dearly!
© 24hourcampfire