Home
May allow for trigger swap but consideration for egg shoot and Ftr. Stock needs to be ambidextrous.

Cheers

W
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/592608062
308 Win all day for LR FTR.
What kind of rear bag and what bi-pod will you use?
Tikka CTR

Remington "LTR" or "Police" A 5R Milspec will be closer to 1200.00

I'm partial to the 308 Win.
Stock needs to be ambidextrous? About the only thing that comes close to fitting that bill would be an AR of some sort. Most fixed stocks are set up with proper cast off for the side you're shooting from, so you probably won't end up with a decent sight picture and cheek weld if you go ambidextrous on most stocks. I think most AR's are pretty much ambidextrous, but are a lousy compromise in that department, IMHO.

Bob
The FN PBR is pretty ambidextrous user friendly. They shoot pretty damn good too and can be found for less than a grand. I'd look for one of the older ones with CRF...

FN PBR 308 win
Originally Posted by Fotis

Only issue with that one it's the 1:9 twist, not 1:7. LR and .223 needs the long heavies IMO.
Looking like Tikka Varminter 8t 223...

smile

W
Originally Posted by tarheelpwr

Only issue with that one it's the 1:9 twist, not 1:7. LR and .223 needs the long heavies IMO.

Actually..................... go here and check out BOTH 223 offerings

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/12LRPVLEFTPORT

223 REM Savage 12
Sku:18145
Caliber:223 REM

Rate of Twist:7
Weight:11 lbs
Overall Length:46.25"
Barrel Length:26"
Ammo Capacity:1

I have one in 9 twist 22-250
Woofer sent you a PM
Originally Posted by tarheelpwr

Actually..................... go here and check out BOTH 223 offerings

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/12LRPVLEFTPORT

223 REM Savage 12
Sku:18145
Caliber:223 REM

Rate of Twist:7
Weight:11 lbs
Overall Length:46.25"
Barrel Length:26"
Ammo Capacity:1

I have one in 9 twist 22-250

I was just quoting what the SELLER listed for the gun you suggested. I know they offer both, but the link was not for the appropriate LR .223

Savage model 12 Long Range Precision Varminter bolt-action rifle .223 Remington caliber, 26" extra heavy barrel with brake, 1:9" twist. Single-shot 3-position safety. Adjustable AccuTrigger from 6 oz. to 2-1/2 lbs. Short-action Oversized bolt handle, synthetic stock. Left-port target action. 47.75" overall length. Ships direct to your FFL.
I was not "snapping" at you BTW. Just informing the OP.
No worries.
It's all good. Just wanted to make sure OP knew there are 2 models
Originally Posted by woofer

smile

W

My thoughts exactly. SWFA on top
Remington 700 SPS varmint, replace stock if desired (I got a Richards microfit and bedded, finished myself), .308 of course.
Originally Posted by 16bore
smile
W

Agreed. If you decide 308, Tikka CTR would be my choice, with the SWFA.
I wish I'd gone varmint instead of SL. Looks like the new models have a 1:8 20" threaded model. That'd work like a mofo
Yes it will 😆
I don't know how you could possibly regret going with a .308 Tikka t3x CTR, or how, with that budget, you could do any better.
If you are going to shoot 1k FTR, then the 223 with 1-7 twist to shoot the 90s is the choice. The savage is the way to go for the money. Nothing else will work in 223.

the savage 308 FTR rifle or the BR rifle is a possibility too. They will handle the 183-185 grain bullets that you will need for 1k
Originally Posted by 16bore

smile

W

Yup.
Creed CTR wouldn't hurt either. Depending on volume.
Guy on here selling a 700 xcr compact tactical ( a ss version of the LTR) for $800. Stupid good deal
You will not be happy with anything mentioned on here. Save your money, get your budget up another 500$ and get a tikka rebarreled and a different stock. Don't need a different trigger, just a yodave trigger spring for 10$.
Originally Posted by jsthntn247
You will not be happy with anything mentioned on here. Save your money, get your budget up another 500$ and get a tikka rebarreled and a different stock. Don't need a different trigger, just a yodave trigger spring for 10$.

I'd love to hear your experience with factory Tikkas being a disappointment....
Who said a tikka were a disappointment? I have one for hunting and it's the best factory hunting rifle for the money period. However, he mentioned Ftr which I happen to currently hold two state titles in. There is no straight factory rifle that is competitive in these matches. Pick a action, have a cut rifled barrel mounted on it, put it in a long stiff stock or get used to losing. Tikka's are good donors to start with because they usually don't need truing and with a 10$ spring have a really good trigger.
I posted this elsewhere but it speaks to your issue.

[Linked Image]

Stock .223 I bought used here in September. I finally got around to load development. 70 gr Nosler RDF, 24.5 gr TAC.

P
Originally Posted by jsthntn247
However, he mentioned Ftr which I happen to currently hold two state titles in. There is no straight factory rifle that is competitive in these matches.

I've won three F-TR State Championships, and a second place the 4th year, with a factory stock Tikka Super Varmint in .223 cal.

So, I'd say that there IS a factory rifle here that would fit the bill. whistle
Always wanted one of those Tikka Super Varmints. Looks like they will make them in two barrel lengths and many calibers in the T3x.

http://www.tikka.fi/rifles/tikka-t3x/t3x-super-varmint#technical_specifications
The "0" moa pic rail, and adjustable cheekpiece are nice.
© 24hourcampfire