Home
Posted By: Supertrucker MOA, Gunwerks or Build? - 11/24/16
Looking to get a long range rig. Thinking something in a big 7mm caliber. Of course I want the best bang for my money as it doesn't grow on trees for me like it used to.

I do have a .300 Win Mag built on a Borden Timberline action, 25" Rock fluted #4 Douglas barrel with a 11.25" twist. McMillan Classic Edge stock. Shoots really good.

Which way to go?
Posted By: utah708 Re: MOA, Gunwerks or Build? - 11/24/16
Since you have a .300, why not jump all the way down to .264? Building a big 7 is not all that different from what you have.
Posted By: fredIII Re: MOA, Gunwerks or Build? - 11/24/16
Build. Build. Build. Get the parts you want to a very reliable and accomplished smith. The big name guns are over priced.
Posted By: ol_mike Re: MOA, Gunwerks or Build? - 11/24/16
+1 -twice
I don't know what a big 7mm will do that your .300 will not. I would go with a much lighter caliber, either .243 or another 6mm flavor that will doing the high BC slugs at 3000+fps.
Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: MOA, Gunwerks or Build? - 11/24/16
Originally Posted by fredIII
Build. Build. Build. Get the parts you want to a very reliable and accomplished smith. The big name guns are over priced.

This cannot be overstated........get some good parts and have a good smith put it together put the the money you save towards some good NF glass, a 26 nosler or a big 7 would be perfect!
Posted By: atse Re: MOA, Gunwerks or Build? - 11/24/16
If your rifle shoots good already,save time, money, and effort, and just shot the heck out of it. Don't try and replace what you already have.
From another board, not mine.

Well here goes complete craziness. I am selling my full custom 7 LRM built by Gunwerks. The gun has been shot around 159 times. The gun shoots awesome. I have shot 180 grain bergers, 175 grain Accubonds and the 195 new grain bergers. All loads have shot under MOA very consistently. Gun like H1000 and Retumbo both. The gun specs are as follows:

ACTION: Defiance Extra-long action

TRIGGER: Jewell

BARREL: fluted Broughton cut at 28.5” with a Gunwerks brake and end cap also included. Twist is 8.75" 3G contour

STOCK: McMillan Hunter with palm swell and front rail for atlas style bipod.

BOTTOM METAL: PTG standard long action hinged floor.

SCOPE / RINGS: Nightforce G7 – current edition with nightforce flip caps. Leupold rings.

EXTRAS: 150 pieces of 7 LRM headstamped brass. Honaday 7 LRM die set.

WEIGHT: 10 pounds 5 ounces with nightforce scope.

Asking
$3600 for gun, brass and dies.
$5300 for the complete package.

The only trade that I would consider is a 338 Norma Mag and a custom action (don’t want a super heavy one.)

Both prices will include shipping in a case to your FFL. I have receipts for all the work that has been done. PM, Email, text or call. Henningbr30@g amil.com or 503 – three 47-8533

P
Posted By: Northman Re: MOA, Gunwerks or Build? - 11/25/16
Pretty easy.

7 RM, 300 WM
Tikka T3x SuperVarmint SS
McMillan A3-5 stock
3-12x44 Bushnell LRHS
Suppressor
Posted By: Hondo64d Re: MOA, Gunwerks or Build? - 11/25/16
Originally Posted by Supertrucker
Looking to get a long range rig. Thinking something in a big 7mm caliber. Of course I want the best bang for my money as it doesn't grow on trees for me like it used to.

I do have a .300 Win Mag built on a Borden Timberline action, 25" Rock fluted #4 Douglas barrel with a 11.25" twist. McMillan Classic Edge stock. Shoots really good.

Which way to go?

The best shooting rifle I have ever had, is the one I put together myself. It is far easier than you think and VERY cost effective.

John

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/11452361#Post11452361

Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: MOA, Gunwerks or Build? - 11/25/16
More bang for the buck to build, especially if you can do some of the work, like glass bedding, etc. yourself. I've built several.

Here's a 26 Nosler I built from a smoke damaged 700 BDL 7RM that I got for $400. The stock was OK and I used it. I had a Shilen SS barrel fitted (I don't do that type work), fitted a Timney 510 I got on EBay, pillared, glassed and free floated the barreled action. It's a half MOA shooter with 120 gr. E-Tips/TTSX at 400 yds. Around a grand spent, not counting the scope which I already had.

A lotta gun for the buck. And, it'll hold its own with some big name guns and for a third of the cost. It may out shoot some of those; I wouldn't bet against it... wink

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: GregW Re: MOA, Gunwerks or Build? - 11/25/16
I'd get a Tikka T3 Lite and drop it in an Edge. Under a grand before scope.

I'm just about done with customs.
Originally Posted by GregW

Where can you get an Edge for $350?

P
Posted By: joelbiltz Re: MOA, Gunwerks or Build? - 11/28/16
Stay away from Gunwerks. Their CS service has become a complete joke. I specifically ordered a net rifle for a BC goat hunt and after getting nothing but the run around and then absolutely dropping the ball on my once in a lifetime hunt ten months later I got my money back. This would have been my fourth rifle I had purchased from them. They acted like they didn't even care that they lost me as a customer.

On the other hand when Gunwerks failed to deliver on a promise I contacted Bob Beck or MOA rifles. Bob wanted to earn and appreciated the opportunity to sell me a rifle. He had a rifle to me in under a month and gave me his personal cell number. His CS is top notch. MOA rifles shoot as well or even better that the GW rifle at way less cost. With GW they do not include load development where as MOA does not charge extra.

If you would like to discuss further please feel free to PM me.
Posted By: GregW Re: MOA, Gunwerks or Build? - 11/28/16
Originally Posted by Pharmseller

P

Who'd pay 650$ for a Lite? They are NIB now for $499...
Posted By: Ringman Re: MOA, Gunwerks or Build? - 11/28/16
Originally Posted by Pharmseller

P

Who'd pay 650$ for a Lite? They are NIB now for $499...

Where?!
Posted By: WRO Re: MOA, Gunwerks or Build? - 11/29/16
I've seen enough issues with smith's that I just bought an MOA rifle, it's a .2-3 on average grouping rifle. It came sighted in with my personal scope, load development complete, and excellent customer service.

It's a no bull experience.
Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: MOA, Gunwerks or Build? - 11/30/16
It's not that difficult to put a rifle and scope combo together that will shoot as good or better than GW or Moa rifles and is a lot less expensive as has been said there is a lot of snake oil in proprietary !
Posted By: WRO Re: MOA, Gunwerks or Build? - 11/30/16
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
It's not that difficult to put a rifle and scope combo together that will shoot as good or better than GW or Moa rifles and is a lot less expensive as has been said there is a lot of snake oil in proprietary !

What do you mean by a lot of snake oil in proprietary?
Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: MOA, Gunwerks or Build? - 11/30/16
What I'm saying is you don't need to speed all the extra $$ on these turn key systems from these company's to have a rifle that will shoot as good or better, if your willing to put a little effort in the process !
Posted By: fredIII Re: MOA, Gunwerks or Build? - 11/30/16
Amazing how hard guys try to get out of actually shooting.
Posted By: WRO Re: MOA, Gunwerks or Build? - 12/01/16
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
What I'm saying is you don't need to speed all the extra $$ on these turn key systems from these company's to have a rifle that will shoot as good or better, if your willing to put a little effort in the process !

I don't have the time, 4 kids full time job, and unfortunately I live in a major metropolitan area. So I'd rather shoot the 2-300 rounds and year I get to shoot at long range than spend that time screwing around with load development, fine tuning a rifle, and dealing with a Smith and suppliers who don't typically meet schedules. The retail on the parts list on my build is close to 3500, I would have been in it close to 6 months waiting on a Smith. I had mine in a month.
Posted By: joelbiltz Re: MOA, Gunwerks or Build? - 12/02/16
I'm with WRO. I don't have time to get components together work on loads and spend critical time trying to get a rifle to shoot. I have a full time job owning my own business, six year old twins. Between making time to spend with my family, coaching baseball and soccer running kids to gymnastics and ice skating lessons and all the extra curricular activities I feel I'm money ahead buying a complete system That I know will shoot well and perform. I would rather spend my limited time practicing on a system I know shoots well verses spending time trying to figure one out.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: MOA, Gunwerks or Build? - 12/02/16
Well, I guess I can understand that. If someone has the cash, not the time or inclination to do Loony stuff, that seems to work.

Kenny Jarrett, D'Arcy Echols and others have made careers delivering great products, all the work done, including high end custom ammo, for guys like that.

Some of us would cringe, spending all that when we can do almost as good for a fraction of the cost. And, we enjoy building something ourselves.

I'm not saying my guns will outshoot a Jarrett or an Echols, but they will surely be in the running.

Different strokes...

DF
Originally Posted by joelbiltz
I'm with WRO. I don't have time to get components together work on loads and spend critical time trying to get a rifle to shoot. I have a full time job owning my own business, six year old twins. Between making time to spend with my family, coaching baseball and soccer running kids to gymnastics and ice skating lessons and all the extra curricular activities I feel I'm money ahead buying a complete system That I know will shoot well and perform. I would rather spend my limited time practicing on a system I know shoots well verses spending time trying to figure one out.

Totally understand your point, I put my Family first. I really don't have time to screw around with different things and it is a 1 hour drive to my target range . I will have time for that stuff when I retire smile
Posted By: joelbiltz Re: MOA, Gunwerks or Build? - 12/02/16
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Totally understand your point, I put my Family first. I really don't have time to screw around with different things and it is a 1 hour drive to my target range . I will have time for that stuff when I retire smile

And like you I also did not mention the one hour one way trip to a range where I can safely shoot past 150 yards.
Posted By: WRO Re: MOA, Gunwerks or Build? - 12/02/16
I reload my own ammo, when they did break in and load development, I mentioned the bullet I wanted to shoot. I ended up with a recipe that shoots under .3 every time.

One of the smiths I was talking to prior to buying a MOA rifle was nearly the same cost with components, but no guaranteed delivery, and no load development.
Posted By: sidepass Re: MOA, Gunwerks or Build? - 12/03/16
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Understanding this even more. Two new rifles to do load development on and 2 ranges closed in the last year. Found a smaller range 30 minutes away but closed on " my" day off. So drive an hr and 20 to shoot as far as I want. An all day affair that used to take 2-3 hrs. Kids are all grown but moma wants me to ride the ponies on days off also.
Posted By: fredIII Re: MOA, Gunwerks or Build? - 12/04/16
I am lucky and have 100 yards in my yard and it's 15 min to as far as I can see. So for me I build from parts and do my own development ect. If a guy is hours from a range I can see turn key but talk about take the fun out of stuff.
Posted By: joelbiltz Re: MOA, Gunwerks or Build? - 12/23/16
I would like to updat a little on my earlier post regarding Gunwerks. Gunwerks actually contacted me regarding the issues I had. Come to find out there were some issues beyond their control is why the could not get my rifle built. I had ordered a TItanium action and they were having a problem with their TItanium supplier. Long story short they went above and beyond to make me happy again and were very apologetic in not being able to deliver on my original rifle build. Although it took some time for them to contact me I am very please with the end result and I would recommend them again.
© 24hourcampfire