Home
Posted By: slammer ELD-X 162 grain in Rem 7 mag - 12/15/16
I plan to try the Hornady ELD-X in my Remington 700 7 mag. It is an unmodified factory gun. I called Hornady and was told the twist may not stabilize the 162's that I should shoot the 150's. Just wondering if anyone has tried the 162's in a factory Remington 700 in Rem 7 mag and if so, how did they shoot?
That makes no sense unless factory remingtons are 10 twist.
Posted By: Kaleb Re: ELD-X 162 grain in Rem 7 mag - 12/15/16
I had a factory saum that shot the 162 amax great. I believe they're not much different as far as stability goes.

So I've not shot the bullet you're asking about or the gun you asked about. Hope this helps...grin
Posted By: 28lx Re: ELD-X 162 grain in Rem 7 mag - 12/24/16

The 162 A-Max shoot excellent out of a factory Remington barrel no reason the ELD's wont.
Your factory 9 twist will stabilize them if you get enough speed on it. It will not be good at slower speeds IME with the 162 Amax.
I'm shooting them out of a factory tubed M70 1:9 twist and they stabilize fine. Chrono says they average 2910fps so I'm not all THAT fast and they work great. A word of caution if you handload, these things are CRAZY long. Lots of bearing surface. I worked up to Hornady's book max and will stay there. No pressure signs but they're plenty fast for how slippery they are. I've shot almost a full box (100) and it's promising so far. Averaging .75" at 100 for 5 shots. Reports of on game performance are starting to trickle in and it seems mixed, but I've noticed a lot of the bad reports are from shots at closer ranges, so a bullet as soft as these isn't going to perform well. At extended ranges it seems to be performing well.
I just purchased some 162 grain for my 7mm-08. The gun is a Ruger with a 9.5:1 twist. My understanding is the Remington has a 9.25 twist in their 700s. If they will not stabilize in a 9.25 to 9.5 twist guns they are not going to be much use to a lot of guys. I think Browning also uses a 9.25 twist rate.
Rems come with 9.25 twist and will stabilize 180gr VLDs.

You should get fine results with the 162 ELD-X.

Good Luck.
162 ELD-X's do better then good in my 7 mags. I have a. 26" 9 twist (Benchmark) and a factory 28" 10 twist (pro encore). They are well under sub now with my handloads and not much effort.
They shoot fine in mine.
They shoot good in my 700 SPS SS just touching lands.
© 24hourcampfire