Home
Posted By: ctsmith Sharpie Dope Chart - 01/11/17
Anybody ever handwritten the dope chart on the stock with a sharpie? It can be scrubbed off with rubbing alcohol. I wonder if it will hold up to face grease and wear and tear. Touching it up every now and then isn't an issue, but wouldn't want to do it more than occasionally.

The fading eyes really appreciate it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: CrowRifle Re: Sharpie Dope Chart - 01/11/17
Why not print it out and affix with clear tape?
Posted By: ctsmith Re: Sharpie Dope Chart - 01/11/17
Clear tape doesnt stick well for me. When the edges peel up I can't stand the feel on my cheek. Tired of screwing with it. Also, to get it large enough to easily see (for me) requires a big piece of paper that doesnt fit well on the stock. Plus, this just looks more professional. grin
Posted By: Dogshooter Re: Sharpie Dope Chart - 01/11/17
Been there with a sharpie too....

[Linked Image]
Posted By: JimD. Re: Sharpie Dope Chart - 01/11/17
I would write it on the other side of the stock. Do it backwards, so when you roll the rifle towards you, you are looking at the dope in the correct orientation.
Posted By: Boxer Re: Sharpie Dope Chart - 01/11/17
Intellesting...I'd of thought,that I'd of thunk of it long ago. Always nice to learn sumptin' new. Thanks!

I wonder if you could do it in a scope cap too,now thatchja' bring it up?

[Linked Image]

You'd think gettin' 1150yds in an ocular,would be a touch more than handy,if only because it would seem to stare you in the face.

[Linked Image]

Beaver Dope upon same,might also serve a purpose on a Krunchenticker,due sight height and a 6.2 Mil correction bein' requisite at the 10yd line,or so it would seem.

[Linked Image]

Beaver Dope and 2000yd comeups would seem to cover a little ground.

[Linked Image]

It would seem that if'n ya' denoted total available erector travel,zero locale and corroborated same with a 'stop,that thangs would get purty easy for Newb's even.

[Linked Image]

I wonder if anyone has ever used the approach to mark an ammo box or two,in case they had more than one 30-'06?

[Linked Image]

Trend setters...I'll say.

Laffin'!

Posted By: ctsmith Re: Sharpie Dope Chart - 01/11/17
Went the Butler Creek dope chart route for years. Two problems. Can't see the fine print anymore and don't run Butler Creeks anymore. The sock is more better.

Got to admit, the thought crossed my mind, Stick will be proud. LOL

BTW, like the parallax reference point mark. I'll have to do that. Trend setter.
Posted By: Higginez Re: Sharpie Dope Chart - 01/11/17
I always end up breaking the ocular Butler Creek off. Damn things are such crap anymore, I wouldn't want dope on em. Surprised they give even a hint of warm and fuzzy Stick.
Posted By: high_country_ Re: Sharpie Dope Chart - 01/12/17
That might be handy for you who live in constant climate areas. I plopped a bullet right under a coyote who was staring at me from 18 moa out.....it was -8* and I had not validated below 30ish*. I was a full 1.25 moa slower at that temp.

And yes, it was hodgy extreme.
Posted By: Shooter71 Re: Sharpie Dope Chart - 01/12/17
Dry-erase..
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: Sharpie Dope Chart - 01/12/17
Gorilla-brand clear packing tape. Put the paper underneath and enjoy.
Posted By: Higginez Re: Sharpie Dope Chart - 01/13/17
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer

Does the packing tape stick good?
Posted By: Dogshooter Re: Sharpie Dope Chart - 01/13/17
Originally Posted by Higbean

Not as good as a permanent marker on the stock.

All my "drop charts" are on the elevation turret anymore... I find that most convenient.
Posted By: Yondering Re: Sharpie Dope Chart - 01/13/17
Originally Posted by Higbean

Yes.

Another option is to use adhesive backed paper in your home printer, and print the drop chart that applies to the elevation & conditions you're shooting in. It's easy enough to just stick it on the stock, and peel off later or just stick the next one on top like license tabs. Peel off the whole stack when it gets too tall.
© 24hourcampfire