Home
Posted By: MallardAddict LR Hunting Scope Help - 03/01/17
As many of you probably know I recently bought a custom rifle in 7 Sherman Short Magnum. My only loose scope currently is a Burris XTR II 5-25 with a 34mm tube. The rifle itself weighs just over 7#'s so adding a 2# scope and ring combo makes it very top heavy.

So I'm looking for suggestions for new glass. My desired use is steel too 1k and hunting deer and elk to 800yds.
My desired things are:
- 30mm tube
- reticle with hold overs for elevation and wind
- turrets
- milrad adjustments as all my other rifles use mils
- ffp those this may be arbitrary.
- budget $1500

Posted By: Tanner Re: LR Hunting Scope Help - 03/01/17
With that budget I'd be looking at a 2.5-10x42 Nightforce or 3-12 LRHS. However, I've been plenty happy with my SWFA 10x's at that range and further.

Tanner
Posted By: CGPAUL Re: LR Hunting Scope Help - 03/01/17
I`ve two stright SWFA 10x on two 7 Mags for purpose hunting, LR, and love them. Mine are MOA, but know they come in Mils. I built range scales for my loads so I don`t have to memorize come-ups. Both are excellent, hunted from dawn to dusk no problem. What i really like tho has been their dependability,,,I`ve run the turrets to Ik, also like to shoot steel, and back to 200 zero. dead on.
May be a bit heavy for you, but man, can`t say enough good about em.
Posted By: Hondo64d Re: LR Hunting Scope Help - 03/01/17
Originally Posted by Tanner
With that budget I'd be looking at a 2.5-10x42 Nightforce or 3-12 LRHS. However, I've been plenty happy with my SWFA 10x's at that range and further.

Tanner

This... exactly...

John
Posted By: STS45 Re: LR Hunting Scope Help - 03/01/17
My SWFA 10X's have been very good to me, makes it hard to justify spending any more cash on a higher end scope.
Posted By: jbuck Re: LR Hunting Scope Help - 03/01/17
I picked up a leupold VX6 (non-HD) and have been impressed with it so far. My only complaint and is that the ZL will only give you one revolution. Or send it back to Leupold and they will change it out to the ZL2 for $90.

YMMV but its worth a look if you want a little more power then the 2.5-10x42mm Nightforce for the same weight (~20oz).

Edit: not sure if you can get them in Mil. just seen that was a requirement.

Posted By: atse Re: LR Hunting Scope Help - 03/01/17
You can't go wrong with any swfa scope. I haven't used a straight 10x, but I do have the 3x9 and it is a sweet scope. It would serve you well. The3x15 is really good too. Both are well within your budget,and meet all of your criteria.
Posted By: ribka Re: LR Hunting Scope Help - 03/01/17
The swfa 3x15 is a great scope for the money as is all their fixed powered scopes if you don't want to drop the money for a NF or S&B

T
I have a 3-15 SS Milquad on my AR10 that I have been perfectly happy with. May strip it off for the new gun and replace it later
Posted By: fredIII Re: LR Hunting Scope Help - 03/01/17
I'm with tanman the Nightforce is nails and then some.
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: LR Hunting Scope Help - 03/01/17
3-12x LRHS
SWFA 3-9x
SWFA 10x
Since I have LR play guns and this is pretty much a meat gun, I'm on the fence about whether or not I really even want ffp. Going SFP would open up several more decent options.
Posted By: longbarrel Re: LR Hunting Scope Help - 03/02/17
Take a look at Leupold VX6, 2-12 and 3-18 with Boone & Crockett or custom shop reticles.
Posted By: atse Re: LR Hunting Scope Help - 03/02/17
If you truly want to shoot past 300yds, and hold for wind,as your original post says, a sfp scope is not a serious option.It will only work at one set power. A ffp scope is the same regardless of power. I won't ever buy another sfp scope.
After more thought, I am too used to ffp to give that up. Lots of nice optics out there and I could spend more if I thought I was gaining something tangible. I just don't want a portly scope on a trim rifle.
Posted By: Hondo64d Re: LR Hunting Scope Help - 03/02/17
NF NXS compact 2.5-10x42 is 2nd focal plane.

John
Originally Posted by MallardAddict
I have a 3-15 SS Milquad on my AR10 that I have been perfectly happy with. May strip it off for the new gun and replace it later

So you have the almost perfect scope right there, or is it? What is your opinion on the SWFA SS 3-15??? I've been eyeballing them..
BSA I love my 3-15 SS milquad. The only knocks for hunting I can see are the height of the turrets and lack of zero stop. Neither is a deal breaker and
I am leaning towards another for this role.

I have taken a deer my AR10 at 539yds and shot steel and rocks to 1200yds with it and never felt handicapped: I just have some money burning a hole in The pocket so seeing what else is out there before I decide.
Posted By: TDN Re: LR Hunting Scope Help - 03/03/17
Sounds like the 3-12 LRHS is right up your alley!

Lower turrets, zero stop, FFP but with a great low mag reticle, good glass etc. I have loved mine this past 1-2 years.
Vortex 2-10x32 comes with FFP and either mil or moa reticles.

The more I think in this the more my budget grows. I'm having a hard time convincing myself that the Leupold MK6 3-18 wouldn't be about perfect in this role. The only downside I can see if the chunky 34mm tube might look a little odd on this rifle but it is short, it's light and has usable reticles.

I wouldn't buy at msrp, but I do have access to them at a sizable discount. The one on my AR15 has been superb.

I am also seriously considering the March 3-24x42.
You can make a zero stop for the swfa. I have the 3-12 and 4-18 lrhs scopes and the 3-15 swfa. For hunting the g2/3 reticle is MUCH easier to see in low light. The 3-12 is much more compact and lighter. All of them are good optically.
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: LR Hunting Scope Help - 03/05/17
Since I have LR play guns and this is pretty much a meat gun, I'm on the fence about whether or not I really even want ffp. Going SFP would open up several more decent options.

At the risk of getting flames cast my way that might wound my precious feelers......... I agree! grin
Posted By: Jeremy783 Re: LR Hunting Scope Help - 03/06/17
For the money an glass the Burris MTAC 4.5-14 is a great scope 30mm tube you can pick one up on eBay for around 325$ I had one an wish I had it back
Posted By: srwshooter Re: LR Hunting Scope Help - 03/06/17
i shoot a bushnell elite 4200 6x24x40ao. its as clear as anything else i've owned.i also have the same scope in a 4x16x40a0.they are hard to beat for brightness.
Posted By: fredIII Re: LR Hunting Scope Help - 03/07/17
Mallardaddict you still thinking march or has the direction changed.
March 3-24 is enroute currently. Mine is new production based on the 6283 mil spec versus their old 6400 spec. 6400 was the old artillery spec as being close enough for that use as it equates to .97 mil per 10 clicks.

Unfortunately it wasn't publicized well and guys were puzzled why their scope didn't track properly. All has been fixed now and from the 2 sample I have handled they are awesome in a light rifle dialing role.
Posted By: Montivagant Re: LR Hunting Scope Help - 03/07/17
BSA I love my 3-15 SS milquad. The only knocks for hunting I can see are the height of the turrets and lack of zero stop.

The former is an easy fix....

I have had the snipershide shim kit in my 3-15 since before the hose gasket trick was revealed.
March 3-24 is enroute currently. Mine is new production based on the 6283 mil spec versus their old 6400 spec. 6400 was the old artillery spec as being close enough for that use as it equates to .97 mil per 10 clicks.

Unfortunately it wasn't publicized well and guys were puzzled why their scope didn't track properly. All has been fixed now and from the 2 sample I have handled they are awesome in a light rifle dialing role.

When it shows up post a couple pics of it on the shermanator.

You weren't joking the old man showed up smiling like a kid at a candy factory. Pretty cool and thanks again.
Fred,

I'm glad it worked out for both of us. I really liked the glass and reticle in that scope but I have too many milrad scopes to swap to MOA. Your dad is a good man.
Ya he is. He's all jazzed up. He told me last night " you got get him down to shoot and drink some beer".
That is a guarantee
The new March 3-24 is on my 7 Sherman Short and I couldn't be happier. All I had sitting loose was some Burris Tactical 6 screw rings so they will be replaced soon.

So far I'm getting 3/8" 5rd groups from the 162 eld-m at 3100 fps and still need to play with seating depth a bit to see if it will tighten any.

All up the gun weighs right at 8.3lbs so it should be a good mountain rifle with the ability to reach when needed.

[Linked Image]

I need to find out more about March scopes I guess -- they are an investment aren't they.

The 7 mm Sherman Short is also interesting!

Also, very good looking rifle.
Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: LR Hunting Scope Help - 03/15/17
Looks good and sounds like it is performing exceptionally well!
© 24hourcampfire