Home
Posted By: Phoenixagri need some advice... - 03/22/18
I shoot a Christensen arms Classic 7mm rem mag. I was hunting with 140 grn with 65 gns of 4350. My issue was that 500 yards, it pretty much ripped the deer in half. So it was advised to switch to 120-grain using RL-22 powder. loading both and trying both, at 400 yards I'm shooting .5 MOA with the 140 grain 1" lower. The 120 grain fires a bit faster and is about 1/2" high but.25 MOA. So both shoot very well

My question is what would you use for hunting out to 800-1000 yards? I know I have to work up to that distance. BTW my last deer was 938 yards any suggestions?
Posted By: smokepole Re: need some advice... - 03/22/18
I'd slow down a little. If you're going to be shooting that distance you've got some homework to do. The fact that you're considering a 120 grain 7 mm bullet for 1000 yards and asking which bullet to use indicates that you have little grasp of what it takes to make a shot at that distance.

In fact, a lot of guys who are really good shots wouldn't shoot big game at that distance.
Posted By: irfubar Re: need some advice... - 03/22/18
WOW, just wow.

Nothing more to add
Posted By: MallardAddict Re: need some advice... - 03/22/18
If I was planning to hunt long range with my 7RM the bullets would start at 162gr vld types and likely be a 180 class assuming the barrel will shoot it. Shot distance is rarely ever the issue as elevation adjustments are easy, wind and how it translates from shooter to target is the issue. I am probably comfortable and capable of shooting game further then many here but it has come at a cost of many thousand of rounds and several barrels shot out and there are still many here that would whip my ass at it.

Not claiming you fall in this group but with the increased popularity of long range hunting too many folks think they can buy a rifle and go kill at long range. The problem is the best rifles and loads don’t mean shït of the shooter isn’t up to the task. There are countless 1k capable rifles on the market but 95% of shooters or more can’t or won’t put in the practice to really be able to utilize that precision
Posted By: Judman Re: need some advice... - 03/22/18
Almost ripped a deer in half??? Any pics?
Posted By: kingston Re: need some advice... - 03/22/18
Ok, who got a new handle?
Posted By: kingston Re: need some advice... - 03/22/18
PM user Boxer, he's our resident expert on low BC bullets at extended ranges.
Posted By: fredIII Re: need some advice... - 03/22/18
Originally Posted by kingston
Ok, who got a new handle?

Not I. I think 7mm mags are guy as unicorn poop.
Posted By: Hiaring8 Re: need some advice... - 03/22/18
You killed a deer at 938 yards - yet are comparing/using a 120 and or 140 .284 caliber bullet......????
Originally Posted by Judman

That's gross.
I want rock solid proof, I’ve killed and seen more deer killed than most, never seen one almost ripped in half
Posted By: Elkmen Re: need some advice... - 03/22/18
There is so much necessary information missing here there is really no way to start
I want rock solid proof, I’ve killed and seen more deer killed than most, never seen one almost ripped in half

So you've never hunted a Federica +P?
Reamers are still 5 weeks out....
Posted By: Dogshooter Re: need some advice... - 03/22/18
Nothing rips deer in half like the B-29.....
Posted By: Owl Re: need some advice... - 03/22/18
Originally Posted by Phoenixagri
I shoot a Christensen arms Classic 7mm rem mag. I was hunting with 140 grn with 65 gns of 4350. My issue was that 500 yards, it pretty much ripped the deer in half. So it was advised to switch to 120-grain using RL-22 powder. loading both and trying both, at 400 yards I'm shooting .5 MOA with the 140 grain 1" lower. The 120 grain fires a bit faster and is about 1/2" high but.25 MOA. So both shoot very well

My question is what would you use for hunting out to 800-1000 yards? I know I have to work up to that distance. BTW my last deer was 938 yards any suggestions?

Welcome to the fire. As you can tell, if you ask the question, you'll get more that you asked for. 1000 yards is an EXTREME shot as best. Yes, I see them showing it on television...

I hunt a 7mm Rem Mag with 140gr Combined Technology BT's. Yes, the rifle shoots them MOA. NO, I would never try a 1000 yard shot. IIRC, most of those Hollywood guys
on the TV shows are using 175 grn boolits.

While it can be done, my opinion is that you owe the animal a clean and ethical 1 shot kill, and not a Hollywood stunt that cripples the animal.

Originally Posted by Dogshooter
Nothing rips deer in half like the B-29.....

Are you speaking of the Boeing B-29 or the Barsness B-29?
Originally Posted by Owl

Welcome to the fire. As you can tell, if you ask the question, you'll get more that you asked for. 1000 yards is an EXTREME shot as best. Yes, I see them showing it on television...

I hunt a 7mm Rem Mag with 140gr Combined Technology BT's. Yes, the rifle shoots them MOA. NO, I would never try a 1000 yard shot. IIRC, most of those Hollywood guys
on the TV shows are using 175 grn boolits.

While it can be done, my opinion is that you owe the animal a clean and ethical 1 shot kill, and not a Hollywood stunt that cripples the animal.

I think ripped in half qualifys as quick!!! Dunno bout the clean part!! Grin
Posted By: Phoenixagri Re: need some advice... - 03/22/18
I used to shoot long distance (1500 +) a lot. regardless I think you need to have the initial skill then practice, practice practice. I have never taken a shot I am not 100% confident of a kill shot. I have passed shots up many times.

one shot one kill.

There is a lot that goes into that shot, bullet weight is only one aspect. there is wind direction and speed, temperature, humidity, constant breathing etc etc etc. I stopped using the Hornady SST for the same reason. A major waste of meat!!

Barnes has a bullet that I'm going to try in the 270, the LRX.They are supposed to open up at 1400 fps. when I talked to the guys at Barnes they were hunting Elk last year out to 1400yards with a 7mm Rem Mag. using the new 139 LRX with RL 22

I'm not about to call them liars.
Posted By: Phoenixagri Re: need some advice... - 03/22/18
My rifle shoots horrible with anything over 150 grain, so 168 and heavier are definitely out of the question.
Oh my,

You need a 220 swift, fastest cartridge eva!

4000 fps killin SOB
Oh and where is Big Stick when we need him?
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: need some advice... - 03/23/18
My rifle shoots horrible with anything over 150 grain, so 168 and heavier are definitely out of the question.

Get a new barrel with a 7.5-8" twist and shoot 180 ELD's or 195 Bergers.
Posted By: irfubar Re: need some advice... - 03/23/18
I think if I had a Christensen arms rifle in 7mm mag and it wouldn't shoot anything over 150 grains I would be having a talk with them!
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: need some advice... - 03/23/18
Just stick to head shots with the 120s and you oughta be good to MBSR.
Posted By: Phoenixagri Re: need some advice... - 03/23/18
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

Get a new barrel with a 7.5-8" twist and shoot 180 ELDs or 195 Bergers.

I have no room for either Hornady ELDs or Berger bullets.. when I bought my rifle which by the way is my 2nd 7mmRM, I was told that the 1:9.5 is best suited for 120-150 grain bullets. My barrel is a titanium barrel wrapped carbon fibre. so I'm not going to buy another barrel.

When I bought my Weatherby 7mm RM, I bought Berger 168 factory ammo. They shot a 6" group at 100 yards. So I complained and was introduced to 175grain which made things worse. Then looking for powder,I was introduced to The Marksman in Lethbridge. He gave me Barnes 140 grain TTSX and IMR 4350. My shots at 200yards grouped to bullet in the bullet with no changes to the rifle.

Then my issue with the deer being mutilated at 500 yards. I was introduced to RL-22 and the TTSX 120 grain. I have not shot past 400 yards with them. but as I'm setting up for hunting in the fall, would like to get past this selection stage and concentrate on practising to hone my skill.
Posted By: smokepole Re: need some advice... - 03/23/18
You've been introduced to a lot of stuff.
Sounds like you bought a turd of a rifle?

Lets see mag box too short for long range bullets?

Barrel twist to slow for long range bullets?

Why did you buy a medium range rifle? expecting it to do long range work?

But you do have a titanium carbon wrapped barrel, so there is that. wink
Posted By: kingston Re: need some advice... - 03/23/18
I’m off to flush more glitter down the toilet.
Went right over you boys heads. laugh
Posted By: GonHuntin Re: need some advice... - 03/23/18
My barrel is a titanium barrel wrapped carbon fibre. so I'm not going to buy another barrel.

Wow, never heard of a titanium carbon wrapped barrel.......who made it???
Originally Posted by websterparish47

Maybe so. Because I still can't wrap my head around the reason why anyone would make up fictitious stupid schit to post on a hunting website for sh*ts and giggles.

The only thing that makes sense is a thoroughly pathetic existence.

Originally Posted by smokepole

Maybe so. Because I still can't wrap my head around the reason why anyone would make up fictitious stupid schit to post on a hunting website for sh*ts and giggles.

You haven't read John Barsness for very long have you?

It was a legitimate question.
Posted By: Dogshooter Re: need some advice... - 03/23/18
Everyone knows the Barsness B-29 has the same energy at 1000 yards as the Boeing B-29 upon take-off.....

Pretty sure ‘smoke is hip to that data..... but tired of turd-trolling dipshitts with newly minted nom de plumes....
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
Everyone knows the Barsness B-29 has the same energy at 1000 yards as the Boeing B-29 upon take-off.....

Pretty sure ‘smoke is hip to that data..... but tired of turd-trolling dipshitts with newly minted nom de plumes....

It was an honest question as to what you where referring to. Smokes response lead me to believe he had never read one of John's most entertaining articles.

My mistake, I thought you were referring to the OP going over everyone's head. As someone else suggested, as a first post it has all the characteristics of a troll.
......when I talked to the guys at Barnes they were hunting Elk last year out to 1400yards with a 7mm Rem Mag. using the new 139 LRX with RL 22

They were using RL22? Why didnt you say so, that changes everything.
Posted By: Partagas Re: need some advice... - 03/23/18
Who is doing all the introductions for you? I would look for a new introducer.

My mistake, I thought you were referring to the OP going over everyone's head. As someone else suggested, as a first post it has all the characteristics of a troll.

My fault Smoke, for not being clear . I don't know if I'd ever read any John's articles before, but after B-29, I check out any that have his byline.
This thread has potential, we just need the OP to come back and provide more info. Pic's would be awesome also.

My fault Smoke, for not being clear . I don't know if I'd ever read any John's articles before, but after B-29, I check out any that have his byline.

No worries Web. This long range stuff is very complicated.
Posted By: Nrut Re: need some advice... - 03/24/18

I have no room for either Hornady ELDs or Berger bullets.. when I bought my rifle which by the way is my 2nd 7mmRM, I was told that the 1:9.5 is best suited for 120-150 grain bullets. My barrel is a titanium barrel wrapped carbon fibre. so I'm not going to buy another barrel.

When I bought my Weatherby 7mm RM, I bought Berger 168 factory ammo. They shot a 6" group at 100 yards. So I complained and was introduced to 175grain which made things worse. Then looking for powder,I was introduced to The Marksman in Lethbridge. He gave me Barnes 140 grain TTSX and IMR 4350. My shots at 200yards grouped to bullet in the bullet with no changes to the rifle.

Then my issue with the deer being mutilated at 500 yards. I was introduced to RL-22 and the TTSX 120 grain. I have not shot past 400 yards with them. but as I'm setting up for hunting in the fall, would like to get past this selection stage and concentrate on practising to hone my skill.

Are you a hoser?
Do you wear a bra?
flave?
Posted By: Ptarmigan Re: need some advice... - 03/24/18
I'd stick with whatever ripped your deer in half. Makes packing out much easier.
Posted By: smokepole Re: need some advice... - 03/24/18
Makes gutting obsolete!
Posted By: Phoenixagri Re: need some advice... - 03/24/18
Well, thank you for all the right fine answers. I was hoping for a discussion about the non-constant B.C. or how the rate of twist will change the ballistics. That maybe someone has already debated this issue and would post their conclusions. that maybe someone would post the merits of Nosler over Barnes and vice-versa. That someone might talk about Hornady or some other fine companies.

The world of Long distance hunting and shooting is changing.
If we can't openly discuss this without being classified as a "Troll" or a Liar, then what is the point????

If we can't openly discuss this without being classified as a "Troll" or a Liar, then what is the point????

We can and do discuss it openly here. It's just that when someone posts a first post and talks about killing a deer at 938 yards and then proceeds to ask which bullet he should be using out of two that aren't really good for those distances, it tends to create some skepticism.
Posted By: 378Canuck Re: need some advice... - 03/24/18

That's gross.

I don,t believe this fella.
Meant for Phoenixagri. dont believe the guy shooting a deer at 983 yds and it ripped in two, what you shoot it with a 50 cal?

We can and do discuss it openly here. It's just that when someone posts the first post and talks about killing a deer at 938 yards and then proceeds to ask which bullet he should be using out of two that aren't really good for those distances, it tends to create some scepticism.

different rifle different types of bullets. The bullet that mutilated the deer, was a 140 TTSX, 65 grains of IMR 4350 the rifle that shot the 938, was a Weatherby (stolen) using the same bullet recipe. My Christensen's arms did not like the IMR 4350 as I could not group anything under 2". When I changed powders, I used RL-22 68 grains for 140, and 72 grains for the 120. I chrono'd them at 3486 and 3985. Both are shooting sub MOA but the 120's are a little tighter at 400 yards.

you say that neither bullet is good for that distance, why? When you consider the bullet loss of lead-based bullets, a 168 grain will lose 50-60% of its weight at 500 yards, where a TTSX maintains 98% of its mass. And Ballistic Coefficient is not a constant but changes with velocity and distance and temporal conditions
i find that hard to believe a ttsx would have to blow up like a grenade or an accubomb to do that much damage and at 983 yds with that pea shooter I say BS. Please don't insult us with these claims. I see by your post count that your a new poster. Your starting off on the wrong foot with the guys on the campfire. If you want to be respected -respect others with a lifetime of shooting. You can get a wealth of good experienced info here but that door will be closed for you if you pursue this path.

you say that neither bullet is good for that distance, why? When you consider the bullet loss of lead-based bullets, a 168 grain will lose 50-60% of its weight at 500 yards, where a TTSX maintains 98% of its mass. And Ballistic Coefficient is not a constant but changes with velocity and distance and temporal conditions

Dang, I forgot all about bullet loss. Especially when you factor in RL-22. My bad.
Originally Posted by 378Canuck
i find that hard to believe a ttsx would have to blow up like a grenade or an accubomb to do that much damage and at 983 yds with that pea shooter I say BS..

It would be nice if you could read or at least comprehend what you were reading.....
Posted By: peeshooter Re: need some advice... - 03/24/18

Dang, I forgot all about bullet loss. Especially when you factor in RL-22. My bad.

I have so much more to learn!
Originally Posted by 378Canuck
i find that hard to believe a ttsx would have to blow up like a grenade or an accubomb to do that much damage and at 983 yds with that pea shooter I say BS..

It would be nice if you could read or at least comprehend what you were reading.....

Son l'm sure i have shorts older than you.
Posted By: mathman Re: need some advice... - 03/25/18
The evidence stacking up is pointing to one of two things:

1. You're really green when it comes to handloading, ballistics and the like, don't know that you're in over your head, but you still hold forth and don't realize the enormity of the boners you've dropped.

2. You do know what you're doing, and you're trolling by projecting the persona outlined in item number one.
Posted By: jimy Re: need some advice... - 03/25/18

Give him a break, it took me quite a little while to catch on to that "bullet loss" too, that's why I hardly ever use reloader 22, except for anything with barrels with a high twist like 2 in 8 or even 3 in 8 inch twist .
Posted By: SheriffJoe Re: need some advice... - 04/01/18
I'd slow down a little. If you're going to be shooting that distance you've got some homework to do. The fact that you're considering a 120 grain 7 mm bullet for 1000 yards and asking which bullet to use indicates that you have little grasp of what it takes to make a shot at that distance.

In fact, a lot of guys who are really good shots wouldn't shoot big game at that distance.

Good advice.

If disregarded, probably a 175gr ELD-X or a 180gr VLD.

Better yet...get closer to your game.
© 24hourcampfire