Home
Posted By: m77 Namibia hunt. - 08/15/18
I am posting in the LR forum as there has not been many LR hunting posts lately and on our trip to Namibia we had a 'long range kill' if you can put it that way and through I would share it as part of the 'story'.

We have good friends in Namibia that we regularly visit which always involve plenty of shooting and hunting. The drive is a little more than 1000 miles and involves crossing the border near the town Upington at the Ariamsvlei border post. This does take a fair bit of time as we need permits to temporarily export our rifles which does take some admin at the border at both sides. The first day we cover about 650 miles and stay in the town Grunau, which basically consists of a gas station and a hotel.

The photos below was taken near Grunau.

Not quite the pick-ups you guys in the States drive but it was loaded pretty full.
[Linked Image]

Not a lot of traffic
[Linked Image]

The gravel road going west from Grunau.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Posted By: m77 Re: Namibia hunt. - 08/15/18
The next morning we left Grunau early to allow us to put up camp and zero rifles before the 'hunting' part started. There is fair amount of gravel road that we cover before we get to our destination and then it is sand for 100s of kms.

We camp on the same spot every year on top of a massive dune under this old Camelthorn tree. Not a great photo but it tells the story, more or less.
[Linked Image]

The shower and toilet is pretty basic but with very nice views.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This year I only took my 6 Dasher loaded with 90gr Berger BTs at 3250 fps, which averages about 1/4" at 100m. These two groups were fired with the load we used for hunting using H4895.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: m77 Re: Namibia hunt. - 08/15/18
We were 4 hunters/shooters and got a few Springbuck the next day. The Dasher performed really well with the BTs. Even though the majority of shots were head shots the bullets made some impressive wound channels on body shots, leaving softball sized exit wounds on broadside shots. Most shots was between 250y and 350y.
[Linked Image]

Late one afternoon we sat on top of a dune and we spotted Springbuck on the next dune about 800y away. Dave had his 6 SLR with him loaded with 107 SMKs and eager to get another Springbuck. We ranged her at 785y and Dave took the shot before they could disappear into the brush. It was a perfect hit and she stumbled straight away and fell over after a few seconds. The shot was taken from the white spot in the background on the right side of the photograph (not very clear). The SLR is built on a Sauer 90 action with a 8 twist True Flite barrel. Dave uses a Moose suppressor manufactured in Namibia.
[Linked Image]

The Springbuck we hunted in the cold room.
[Linked Image]

The final day we had a 'friendly' shooting competition which involved grouping and score at 100, 200 and 300m and then gongs at longer range. The Dasher came out on top with some very disappointed locals grin
[Linked Image]

Apart from springbuck and Oryx they do have a few sheep as well grin
[Linked Image]

Think it is a trip for just about any hunter's bucket list.
Posted By: Canazes9 Re: Namibia hunt. - 08/15/18
Great posts, cool pictures, good story! Really enjoyed. Thanks for posting.

David
Posted By: n8dawg6 Re: Namibia hunt. - 08/15/18
nice. i assume springbuck are decent eating?
Posted By: OutdoorAg Re: Namibia hunt. - 08/15/18
Beautiful pictures and nice shooting.

That solitude...thats awesome. Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: Higginez Re: Namibia hunt. - 08/16/18
Awesome stuff!

Love the 6 Dasher.

Specs?
Posted By: m77 Re: Namibia hunt. - 08/16/18
Originally Posted by n8dawg6
nice. i assume springbuck are decent eating?

They have very good meat. The grain of Springbuck meat is pretty fine. They make some good roasts but we mainly make dried sausage and biltong (jerky).
Posted By: m77 Re: Namibia hunt. - 08/16/18
I appreciate the kind words everyone!

Higbean, the rifle is pretty boring apart from the fact that it really shoots. Tikka T3 Super Varmint that was trued and re-chambered to 6 Dasher with a 268 neck topped with a 18x LRHS. Shoots 95 SMKs and the Berger 90 BTs really well. H4895 stock is finished in South-Africa and am planning on using VV N135 next. Our local powders are not so good!
Posted By: buffybr Re: Namibia hunt. - 08/16/18
Great story and pics.
Posted By: hillbillybear Re: Namibia hunt. - 08/16/18
Neat Stuff!
Posted By: hanco Re: Namibia hunt. - 08/20/18
Great picks!
Posted By: deerslayerok Re: Namibia hunt. - 08/21/18
Nice Namibia is definitely on my bucket list for sure! I have a chance to go next year just have to decide....
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: Namibia hunt. - 08/22/18
Nice story and great trip. I spent a couple of weeks in Namibia last month and had a great time; camel thorn trees everywhere! Wasn't quite as sandy as your spot. Longest shot I made was 420 yards but didn't know for sure until after I shot. Didn't take a track driver as I wasn't expecting to shoot long range! If I go back it will be with more accurate rifles and not so much the nostalgic ones!

We saw springbok but nobody in our party shot any- probably weren't any nice rams. Eland was the preferred meat.
Posted By: 4winds Re: Namibia hunt. - 08/23/18
Thanks for the pics and story!

WTF is up with the skinny jeans???
Posted By: petr Re: Namibia hunt. - 08/23/18
great pics and story.
© 24hourcampfire