Home
Posted By: Hookset Rebarrel a Weatherby MK V - 12/27/20
I'm thinking about having a Weatherby MK V re-barrelled and re-bedded. Any recommendations for a smith?
Don't know but Weatherby will do it for only 1100 + the turds. Mb
Posted By: keith Re: Rebarrel a Weatherby MK V - 12/27/20
Douglas barrels

talk to stan taylor
Posted By: JRS3 Re: Rebarrel a Weatherby MK V - 12/27/20
I have had two rebuilt from the ground up by Weatherby and have been very pleased. One is an Accumark with Desert Camo Stock in .257 Wby and the other is a sister setup in .300 Wby but with a fluted #2 contour and in Desert camo as well. Both were cerakoated black. I really like how the .300 handles. Not too light like the UL with #1 and more portable than the Accumark. I think the Smith's name at the custom shop was Dean. He was great to work with.
Posted By: pete53 Re: Rebarrel a Weatherby MK V - 12/27/20
Straight Line Machining ,Greg Wahlstrom 320-272-4897 will cost you half of what Weatherby will do, plus he is a much better Machinist and barrel man. Greg has built National bench rifles that win including 1,000 yard 1st place . Greg has rebarreled 3 - 257 Weatherby and a 338 Lapua that Weatherby sold me and that rifle shot terrible so i had Greg rebarrel the rifle with the same cartridge 338 Lapua now this rifle shoots great. Jerry Siminson who is no longer alive and Greg were great friends in the Machinist barrel world.
Posted By: dale06 Re: Rebarrel a Weatherby MK V - 12/28/20
Jim Kobe in Bloomington Mn rebarrel a MK 5 weatherby a couple months ago for a friend.
Mickey Coleman rebarreled my MK V a few weeks before he passed.
Posted By: Bighorn Re: Rebarrel a Weatherby MK V - 12/28/20
I recently emailed Weatherby about rebarreling my .300 Wby. mag. to 6.5-300. They quoted me $450 for blued steel, $550 for stainless.
Posted By: Hookset Re: Rebarrel a Weatherby MK V - 12/30/20
Originally Posted by Reloder28

Well that's helpful. Is it safe for me to assume that since he's passed, he isn't doing as much gunsmithing as before?
Originally Posted by Hookset

Well that's helpful. Is it safe for me to assume that since he's passed, he isn't doing as much gunsmithing as before?

Yes.

If you don’t know, Mickey was a fixture here for many years. He built rifles for many members of 24HCF

Yes.

If you don’t know, Mickey was a fixture here for many years. He built rifles for many members of 24HCF

I do know. But unless he's going to fly down from gunsmith heaven and lay hands on my rifle, it doesn't answer the original question, does it?
hookset where are you located ?
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
hookset where are you located ?

Northeast Florida
Gordy Gritters is in Edgewater... google Gordy’s gunshop.

If you were near KS I’d do it... smile
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
Gordy Gritters is in Edgewater... google Gordy’s gunshop.

If you were near KS I’d do it... smile

Thank you

I do know. But unless he's going to fly down from gunsmith heaven and lay hands on my rifle, it doesn't answer the original question, does it?

No sir.
Originally Posted by Bighorn
I recently emailed Weatherby about rebarreling my .300 Wby. mag. to 6.5-300. They quoted me $450 for blued steel, $550 for stainless.

Sounds about right .
Hart will do both. I inquired about a full rifle build last year and was surprised how reasonable it was
Posted By: 406_SBC Re: Rebarrel a Weatherby MK V - 01/02/21
Shaen rebarreled a MK V from .270 Weatherby to 7mm Remington (1:8 Brux) and did the commensurate work to make it handle and feed 3.65 ammo. That was about 18 months ago, but his turnaround was quick and his work, outstanding.
Posted By: Hookset Re: Rebarrel a Weatherby MK V - 01/02/21

No sir.

Sorry for the smart-a$$ response. It was uncalled for.

But he can still vote!

LC
Originally Posted by 406_SBC
Shaen rebarreled a MK V from .270 Weatherby to 7mm Remington (1:8 Brux) and did the commensurate work to make it handle and feed 3.65 ammo. That was about 18 months ago, but his turnaround was quick and his work, outstanding.

Shaen does great work. Quick turn around too

LC
Would a MkV be considered a challenging action to work with, or is it something any competent gunsmith should be able to handle?
Posted By: beretzs Re: Rebarrel a Weatherby MK V - 10/23/23
Originally Posted by Ramsdude47
Would a MkV be considered a challenging action to work with, or is it something any competent gunsmith should be able to handle?

Nope. Shouldn’t be for a good one.
Posted By: greydog Re: Rebarrel a Weatherby MK V - 10/24/23
The MKV is as basic as they come. It does have a counterbore (like Remington). No extractor cut. Some gunsmiths will seat against the receiver face and inner shoulder, while others will seat against the face only. Neither way is wrong. GD
What trying to get away from wthby freebore?
Originally Posted by leftycarbon

But he can still vote!

LC
I bet he changed parties after his death.

OP, you have been given several good options. I have been happy with work done by PacNor. I recently had a PF Model 70XTR rebarreled by Shaw. Their prices are outstanding. My son shot it for the first time a couple weeks ago with a Bushnell 4200 3-9x40 in Talley LW rings. After he sighted it in, he was ecstatic. I have not had a chance to shoot it yet. I was busy with a couple other rifles that day and two grandsons, I did not even see his target. But he was happy, and has been carrying it deer hunting.

Shaw blued the CM barrel, and reblued the entire action. It looks good.

My next bolt rifles, I will probably spend the extra and send them to PacNor for SS barrels.
© 24hourcampfire