Home
I’ve got a Tikka action that is going to become a switch barrel gun.

I’ve got the 6 and 6.5 chamberings covered with pretty vanilla choices.

For the 7mm, I’d like to dabble.

Which 7mm wildcat would you choose? Not sure you can call the SAUM a wildcat, but yeah. You get it.

Will have the Tikka action length and mag lengths to play with. Want to shoot heavier than the 162s. So likely 180s.

Suggestions?
Brass may be easier to come up with for a 280/280AI. If you’re set on dabbling the Sherman is the only wild cat you listed so I’m not sure if it’s a trick question or what? Mashburn then if we’re casting votes. I do not have one I would choose the 280AI or 7 Remington magnum but I’m not wanting to dabble either. A good friend of mine who build very accurate rifles loves the 7 dakota. Not saying it’s a wildcat just mentioning.
No trick questions. Just wanting some options on what .284 to build off a Tikka.

Thanks for the input.
I’d do a 7 WSM/SAUM myself on a Tikka. Not sure if they count though. The 284 Win ain’t a bad choice.
I'd think SAUM or Sherman would fit your goals. The Tikka action would work great for those I'd think.
Is this a hunting rifle? Tactical?

Shehane is something you don't see every day, if you're into accurate cartridges.
Hunting rifle. Round count won’t have to worry about barrel life.
Originally Posted by beretzs
I’d do a 7 WSM myself on a Tikka.

This.
Explain?

What’s the WSM and Tikka have that make them a good match.
Originally Posted by OutdoorAg
Explain?

If you use a 300/7/338 rifle to start with the bolt stop and length is already set for loading the 7 WSM Out to 3.+” without much dicking around. The magazines will let you load to 3.4” which is much more than needed for a 7 WSM. Basically add a 1-7 or whatever barrel of your choosing and it’s a done deal. Put a stock you like on it and it’s really a nice set up, if you like Tikkas.
Originally Posted by beretzs
Explain?

If you use a 300/7/338 rifle to start with the bolt stop and length is already set for loading the 7 WSM Out to 3.+” without much dicking around. The magazines will let you load to 3.4” which is much more than needed for a 7 WSM. Basically add a 1-7 or whatever barrel of your choosing and it’s a dome deal. Put a stock you like on it and it’s really a nice set up, if you like Tikkas.

Yup. Seating the bullet so the bearing surface is at the bottom of the case neck gives ~3.170” OAL with the 195 EOL, and ~3.140” with the 180 ELD. The Tikka action/mag accommodates this and you just have to throat the barrel accordingly.

What is the bolt face, .532 or .473?

Originally Posted by RinB

What is the bolt face, .532 or .473?

I'll give you a hint: the OP is considering a 7mm SAUM and 7 STW.
Yep. Going to need a mag bolt face.

Thankfully, LRI is coming out with Tikka bolts....
I’ve got a Tikka action that is going to become a switch barrel gun.

I’ve got the 6 and 6.5 chamberings covered with pretty vanilla choices.

For the 7mm, I’d like to dabble.

Which 7mm wildcat would you choose? Not sure you can call the SAUM a wildcat, but yeah. You get it.

Will have the Tikka action length and mag lengths to play with. Want to shoot heavier than the 162s. So likely 180s.

Suggestions?

7LRM or 28 Nosler - throating options may be slightly limited with the Tikka mag length
Yep. Going to need a mag bolt face.

Thankfully, LRI is coming out with Tikka bolts....

they already got them out

m16 extractor doesn't suck
© 24hourcampfire