Home
Posted By: ldg397 PT&G Bottom Metal Finishing - 01/16/22
Has anyone had any luck making their aluminum bottom metal match their Winchester 70 stainless bead blast.

My old gunsmith made it match on another rifle perfectly and has since retired. I thought I heard him say rubbed with oil and some type of “steel” wool probably should not be steel but you get the point. Anyone had luck blasting or another method?
Posted By: Vmaxed Re: PT&G Bottom Metal Finishing - 01/21/22
I have had them Cerakoted to "match" before. IIRC it was a Savage Stainless color that was used and they turned out ok.
Find something lighter in color than the Cerakote standard SS color as it's much darker than both Win and Rem SS receivers.
I had Karl Feldcamp cerakote some PT&G aluminum bottom metal to match my stainless bead blasted M70 and if I remember correctly he used cerakote color satin mag H-147. It matched perfectly to my eyes.
Tag
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
I had Karl Feldcamp cerakote some PT&G aluminum bottom metal to match my stainless bead blasted M70 and if I remember correctly he used cerakote color satin mag H-147. It matched perfectly to my eyes.

Yup, satin mag usually is a good match for a bead blasted stainless. Karl did this one for me a number of years ago, it actually matched better than what you see in the picture.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
That color looks pretty damn good to me. I'll have to get some of that.
Posted By: TX35W Re: PT&G Bottom Metal Finishing - 03/03/22
Useful, thanks.
Got a rifle now I want cerakoted. Actually like the look of the satin mag. May have to run with that.
© 24hourcampfire