Home
Posted By: CAS Now what do I build? - 11/05/02
I just got this fine looking stock back from Mr. Bin (Outstanding work by the way) and now I am ready for the new barrel. I was just going to rebarrel to 30-06 again, but after seeing that stock I think it needs something a little more hot rod.
<br>
<br>Any suggestions guys?
<br>
<br>[Linked Image]
<br>
<br>[Linked Image]
<br>
<br>This is the donor rifle in the new stock. It started life as an ADL 30-06. I converted it to a BDL with the kit from Brownells, applied gunkote to the bottom metal, replaced the spring and pin with a Tubb Speedlock and installed a Shilen trigger.
<br>
<br>[Linked Image]
<br>
<br>This last picture is my 257STW in the new stock just to have an idea of what the finished project will look like.
Posted By: RickBin Re: Now what do I build? - 11/05/02
You guys don't know how fun it is to have someone receive a stock and post a picture stating how much they like it. It makes my day. Glad you like it CAS!! I painted my .257 Weatherby the same color, at the same time. You got a "custom" mix there, pal. I think it should stay .257.
<br>
<br>Rick
Posted By: Don_Martin Re: Now what do I build? - 11/06/02
Oh my!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: MtnHtr Re: Now what do I build? - 11/06/02
Rick does good!(again)(&again)[Linked Image]
<br>
<br>CAS,
<br> What does the rest of your rifle battery consist of? I know you got a hot rod 257STW. On the 30/06 case why not stay 30/06? This could be your main rifle or your back-up rifle for out of state hunts. The 06 is versatile, handles one of the largest assortment of bullets and so on. Need speed? Try 150XLCs with RL19 or H4350. With a 24" tube I bet you could make em fly at close to 3100fps. Consider a 11 or 12 twist. Not fast enough? 280AI? Ah' heck its getting late, later. MtnHtr
Posted By: CAS Re: Now what do I build? - 11/06/02
Mtn Hunter,
<br>
<br>My original plan was to keep it a 30-06, but after seeing how sweet that stock looks I thought it deserved a hot rod, and I was considering a 270 WBY. After some thought last night I think I have come back to my original idea of the 06, or at least another round on the 06 case.
<br>
<br>I haven't decided who is going to do the rebarrel for me yet, but with all the respect Pac-Nor gets around here I may go that way.
<br>
<br>The rest of my battery (besides the 257) consists of a 223, 270, 7-08, and 300 WBY, so I think either round will fit in nicely.
<br>
Posted By: Westman Re: Now what do I build? - 11/06/02
CAS,
<br>
<br>Can you tell me more about Gunkote?
<br>
<br>What is it? A finish?
<br>
<br>Who makes it? Where can it be bought?
<br>
<br>Thanks!
Posted By: C_ROY Re: Now what do I build? - 11/06/02
CAS,
<br>It sound like you got everything covered from .30 cal. on down except a 6.5mm (.264). If you want to stay on a '06 case why not a 338-06AI for something different.
<br>
<br>C-ROY
Posted By: CAS Re: Now what do I build? - 11/06/02
Westman,
<br>
<br>Actually this is my first time using Gunkote, so I can't yet comment on it's quality other than to say that is is very easy to apply and it seems fairly tough so far. I bought mine from Brownells, but you can also buy it direct from the manufacturer. I believe their website is
<br>
<br>http://www.kgcoatings.com/
<br>
<br>The 338-06 definitely interests me, but I am not sure I would ever need anything that big. I have never hunted elk, and have no interest in hunting bears so I am not sure I would ever be tempted to take it in the field.
<br>
<br>Has anyone tried the 6.5-06?
Posted By: MtnHtr Re: Now what do I build? - 11/07/02
CAS,
<br> Flinch did an article on the 6.5- 06 for Varmint Hunter Magazine awhile back. You might want to start a new post so he responds. Att: Paging Flinch?[Linked Image] MtnHtr
Posted By: rembo Re: Now what do I build? - 11/07/02
One of the guys who sometimes frequents this board just had a Kimber rebarrelled to 6.5-06.He loves it.Kinda like a 25-06 that will shoot heavier bullets.Maybe he'll chime in if he's back from his deer chasing endeavors.
<br>
Posted By: Westman Re: Now what do I build? - 11/07/02
CAS,
<br>
<br>Thanks for the info. Ordered some to use on some scratched up bottom metal.
<br>
<br>We'll see how it works!
<br>
<br>
Posted By: Flinch Re: Now what do I build? - 11/07/02
Cas, I just sent you a pm requesting your e-mail address so I can forward you the article. I also have a SS #5 6.5-06 Douglas barrel with 900 rounds through it that is a PROVEN shooter if you are interested. I would sell it for cheap. It is 26" long. You could cut it back 1/2" and rechamber it with new threads and a new throat. It would be a cheap way to experiment with a 6.5-06. Flinch
Posted By: CAS Re: Now what do I build? - 11/08/02
Thanks gentlemen. I seem to have muddied the waters for myself just enough to make it interesting.
Posted By: CharlieSisk Re: Now what do I build? - 11/09/02
CAS
<br>Nice piece ! Rick is getting good with that paint "bidness".[Linked Image]
<br>For another rifle consider a 6.5-06, 9.3 x 62, 458 Lott or do it right and make a 338 Win mag. [Linked Image]Or a 300 Win mag. Hell just build one of everything and you'll be covered.[Linked Image]
<br>Charlie
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Now what do I build? - 11/10/02
The 280Ackley is a nice cartridge and you are only a barrel swap away.....................
Posted By: CAS Re: Now what do I build? - 11/11/02
Hey Stick, what kinds of velocities could I expect with the 280AI and 140gr bullets?
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Now what do I build? - 11/11/02
Oh I think 3200fps is a sane expectation,with even a moderate length tube.
<br>
<br>I'm pretty hung up on the 25-06AI as well,but with your existing 257STW it is sorta redundant.
<br>
<br>Nice to work with a case based upon something as readily available and inexpensive as '06 brass. Some are afeared of the typical Improved case designs,but I'm a fan. The 280AI remains mild mannered,while really delivering the goods.
<br>
<br>Hard not to like that...................
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Now what do I build? - 11/11/02
The crummy is here,I'm headed back at Camp for a week.
<br>
<br>Adieu..................
Posted By: SU35 Re: Now what do I build? - 11/11/02
A favorite of mine is the 6.5x280 IMP. Some of the
<br>fella's at Leupold and Nosler turned me onto it.
<br>Shoots 100s at 3,700 and 140s at 3,100.
Well, after much thought and input I have decided to go with the 6.5-06.
<br>
<br>I really don't plan on hunting anything larger than deer, and want a light recoiling carry around gun to shoot coyotes, squirrels, pigs, and obviously hunt deer with so I think this fills my needs nicely. Besides that I am just goofy enough that I like having a round noone else has (thus the 257STW as opposed to the Weatherby).
<br>
<br>Tomorrow my action is leaving for Brookings, OR. I talked to Penny and she said they are running about 10 weeks turnaround right now, which works for me.
<br>
<br>Wish me luck. I'll be sure to post pictures when it's done.
<br>
<br>Thanks everyone for the input.
Posted By: Flinch Re: Now what do I build? - 11/11/02
CAS, give us the details on barrel and length. I think you will like it TONS. Flinch
I am going to get a 24" #3 contour Stainless Super Match barrel and have them Gunkote the whole thing.
<br>
<br>Flinch, thanks for the offer on the barrel, but I've already had Rick paint the stock and it won't take a #5 barrel without buggering up that fine paint job.
<br>
<br>What powder would you recommend to use with 120gr XLC's? I checked the Nosler manual and they get the best velocity with RL19, which seems a little on the fast side for such a big case and small bore.
Posted By: HogWild Re: Now what do I build? - 11/12/02
CAS,
<br>
<br> What twist are you going with? Believe 1:9 will cover you up to 140g bullets.
<br>
<br>HogWild
Posted By: MtnHtr Re: Now what do I build? - 11/12/02
CAS,
<br> Be sure to measure your barrel channel for shank length and give that spec to Pac-Nor. Your new barrel will fit the channel alot better which will save you some work. MtnHtr
Posted By: CAS Re: Now what do I build? - 11/12/02
Thanks for the heads up MtnHtr. I will be sure to do that before it goes out this morning.
<br>
<br>I am not sure what twist I want, I just asked that they use the appropriate twist for 120 to 140 grain bullets. If 1in9 is the ticket I will revise my order for that as well.
<br>
<br>Thanks guys.
© 24hourcampfire