Home
Posted By: lubbockdave Nula action break in - 04/22/23
been messing around with a new NULA. Love the rifle but the tolerances/action is so tight it's difficult to feed the rounds. How long does it take to smooth out?
Posted By: gene270 Re: Nula action break in - 04/22/23
it will come around pretty quick from my experience...
Posted By: lotech Re: Nula action break in - 04/22/23
I've had two for years; no break-in needed for either, but if yours doesn't smooth out in a couple of hundred rounds, I'd call them. They'll certainly fix it.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Nula action break in - 04/22/23
Originally Posted by gene270
it will come around pretty quick from my experience...

Mine too--and my wife and I have owned around at least a dozen over the years.

But you can usually speed up the process by applying a little light oil, and working the action a few dozen times.
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: Nula action break in - 04/22/23
Easiest thing to do is send it my way.
Posted By: lubbockdave Re: Nula action break in - 04/22/23
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Easiest thing to do is send it my way.

maybe one day...I will have 2 daughters in college next year so may have to liquidate some things wink
Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: Nula action break in - 04/23/23
I have three; 2 NULA and one ULA centerfire guns. The 300WSM and 243 are smooth, the 7-08 is tight and a bit choppy but zero issues in the field.

Attached picture 99C0CE95-BF8F-4CE9-8C4E-F704A464D0B6.jpeg
Posted By: gene270 Re: Nula action break in - 04/23/23
you better hang on to the nula and just suck it up with the college payments
Posted By: EdM Re: Nula action break in - 04/23/23
My NULA rimfire is dead tight as well. A lot of dry cycling the action did help.
Posted By: dye7barrel Re: Nula action break in - 04/23/23

Sound advice
Posted By: jeeper Re: Nula action break in - 04/23/23
I have a Forbes that when new felt like it had sand in the action. It smoothed up after working it a bit.
Posted By: Fastback65 Re: Nula action break in - 04/23/23
Congradulations on Nula purchase I absolutley love mine.
Posted By: WayneShaw Re: Nula action break in - 04/24/23
Not unusual with custom actions. Strip the bolt and remove the trigger, then get some Flitz and smear it on the bolt surfaces, the raceways, then sit back and stroke the action back and forth, close and open the bolt. Replace the Flitz as needed and watch where the heaviest wear is. After a while clean it all, give it some light oil, and give it a try.
Posted By: HShunter36 Re: Nula action break in - 04/24/23
Doesn’t seem to take much for them to smooth out. We have seven of Melvin’s rifles in the family. My boys NULA 24 270Win was tight in the beginning. When I brought it up to Melvin he stated “it just needs used more.” Like usual he was correct.
Posted By: Al_Nyhus Re: Nula action break in - 04/24/23
Originally Posted by WayneShaw
Not unusual with custom actions. Strip the bolt and remove the trigger, then get some Flitz and smear it on the bolt surfaces, the raceways, then sit back and stroke the action back and forth, close and open the bolt. Replace the Flitz as needed and watch where the heaviest wear is. After a while clean it all, give it some light oil, and give it a try.

As usual, Wayne is dead on. Polishing the follower can help a bunch, as well. smile -Al
Posted By: BigGrz Re: Nula action break in - 04/29/23

Nailed it
Posted By: jackmountain Re: Nula action break in - 04/30/23
Not a NULA action, but my Colt light rifle that melvin worked on I used toothpaste instead of Flitz. Watched TV and ran the action for awhile. Cleaned it up, little oil and she was a lot slicker. It’s never had a cavity either.
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: Nula action break in - 05/01/23
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Not a NULA action, but my Colt light rifle that melvin worked on I used toothpaste instead of Flitz. Watched TV and ran the action for awhile. Cleaned it up, little oil and she was a lot slicker. It’s never had a cavity either.
😂
Posted By: HalH Re: Nula action break in - 05/01/23
Anyone ever nitride a NULA action ?
How did it turn out ?
Hal
© 24hourcampfire