Home
Posted By: bufaf Can anybody identify this stock? - 08/29/23
Brown Precision? MPI?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
I don’t believe it is a Brown. The comb/grip geometry doesn’t look like the Browns I have seen. FWIW.
Does it have a cheek piece?
No cheekpiece.
Garrett Accur-Lt would be my guess. They offered a Ruger pattern with a very similar shape.
MPI gets my vote.
Could be, they have a pretty open grip, the shadows may be fooling me though.
possibly a hi-tech specialty, looks alot like the stock on my Bansner UR-1
Originally Posted by Ridge_Runner

Agree. It looks a lot like my Hi-Tech on my M77 RS 35 Whelen.
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by Ridge_Runner

Agree. It looks a lot like my Hi-Tech on my M77 RS 35 Whelen.

Here is the Hi Tech on my Whelen.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
Mine. Fairly light pieces with their light barrel contour coupled with the stock.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

In BC.

Agreed. Mines on the edge of too light for a Whelen but it shoots softer than the weight shows.

Not a Bansner/HiTech…look at the toe to grip line and the nose comb flutes.
It looks very much like the McMillan Winchester classic. I think at one time they have may have done a similar version for the Ruger.
Pretty sure the McMillan 77 stocks I've handled had checkering and maybe a cheek piece. Similar to their Mauser pattern. Been a while though.
My Hi-Tech story on the rifle pictured. It was an ADL M77 stock rough as hell with some cutting into the "fiber" by the previous owner. It was in a junk box in a Houston shop for $30. I bought it and called Mark asking if he could cut it for the factory bottom metal. He replied in the affirmative so I sent it to him. It came back properly cut at no charge including shipping. The exterior need some body and fender work and because I added the banded sling attachment (Ruger #1 part) I shortened the forend to what I thought was appropriate. I cut a section and reattached the tip. I was pretty pleased with how it came out. A few years ago I met Mark at the Dallas Safari Club show and mentioned the story. His reply, "yeah that's what I do". A pure gentleman to speak with.
Originally Posted by MikeS
Pretty sure the McMillan 77 stocks I've handled had checkering and maybe a cheek piece. Similar to their Mauser pattern. Been a while though.
I knew I’d seen one somewhere; took a while to find it.

https://www.gunauction.com/buy/12138370
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Originally Posted by MikeS
I knew I’d seen one somewhere; took a while to find it.

https://www.gunauction.com/buy/12138370

Looks like a match. They apparently inletted them for multiple patterns.

M77 McMillan
This the same one?

Never mind. I see the difference now.
Looks like an MPI to me
OP,
Post some pics if you won it.

My curiosity remains.
Just picked up the rifle. Still have no idea on the stock? But I'm guessing MPI. Bare stock weighs 1 lb 8 Oz. And the entire rifle, Ruger Mark II in .308 weighs 7 lbs 8 Oz set up with a Leupold 2.5-8 and a Mountain sling. Very pleased with the rifle.

© 24hourcampfire