Home
Posted By: pacecars Vanguard .250 Savage - 04/22/24
So I placed a bid on Gunbroker and ended up winning it with my max bid. If the other guy would have bid once more he would have had it. It is a Weatherby Vanguard (Howa) with a Hart Precision 22 inch fluted barrel in .250 Savage with a matte grey Cerakote finish in an HS Precision stock with a Bushnell LRHS Elite 3-12x44 scope with a G2H reticle. Hart did the barrel fitting and bedding the stock. It will go great with my TC Contender .250 Savage! I do think the huge 30mm scope might have to head down the road. A fixed 6x42 would be right at home on it though

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Posted By: BooBear Re: Vanguard .250 Savage - 04/22/24
Nice rig, great caliber
Posted By: Brad Re: Vanguard .250 Savage - 04/22/24
Very nice - one of my all-time favorite cartridges.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Vanguard .250 Savage - 04/22/24
Were it a 1-7" Speedmire throated for 88/90's and wearing better bases/rings,with the G3 Lit version(LRTSI '12x),she'd be a PEACH. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Just sayin'................
That’s a great cartridge, I hope you enjoy it.
Posted By: 10at6 Re: Vanguard .250 Savage - 04/22/24
Nice gun. Let us know how it shoots.
Posted By: Sbrown Re: Vanguard .250 Savage - 04/22/24
Nice rig! Great cartridge!
Posted By: Judman Re: Vanguard .250 Savage - 04/22/24
That’ll be a dandy killin rifle.👍
Posted By: pacecars Re: Vanguard .250 Savage - 04/24/24
I wish Weatherby would have put the .250 Savage they made on the Varmint Master action into production. I remember reading an article in one of the gun rags about it but it never came to fruition
Posted By: Igloo Re: Vanguard .250 Savage - 04/24/24
Wow nice! Cool rifle/chambering!
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Vanguard .250 Savage - 04/24/24
The only thing worse than a Weatherby 6-lugger,is a Weatherby 9-lugger and the Howie Tandem Lugger trumps both. Hint.

Just sayin'...............
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Vanguard .250 Savage - 04/24/24
Pretty slick. Congrats.

Someone else’s notion is often a bargain for the next guy.
I think the Howa is still one of the most underrated actions out there
Posted By: kk alaska Re: Vanguard .250 Savage - 04/24/24
Think I have a xtra 6 x 42 Leupold PM me.
Thanks. I am working on a deal for a Zeiss scope
Its an easy caliber to love. I have thought more than once of converting a shot out Ruger M77 .22-250 to the .250-3000!

My Dad has killed a pile of deer and coyotes with his aged Savage 99 RS. His has a 2-7x scope on top and is quite handy. I personally have shot some jack rabbits and coyotes with it, but never anything bigger.

His favorite load (largely in deference to the 1-14” twist) is the Sierra 87 grain Varminter on top of H380 going right at 3k fps!
Posted By: 7mmMato Re: Vanguard .250 Savage - 04/25/24
Don't sell that scope short. Those are outstanding scopes. 3-12's are much sought after so don't give that thing away if you dont like it. But give it a fair shake they are tough to beat. Great little rifle by the way.
Posted By: viking Re: Vanguard .250 Savage - 04/25/24
Sweet.

What is the twist rate.
Posted By: Lorne Re: Vanguard .250 Savage - 04/27/24
Originally Posted by pacecars
I wish Weatherby would have put the .250 Savage they made on the Varmint Master action into production. I remember reading an article in one of the gun rags about it but it never came to fruition

I remember reading an article about that in Peterson’s Hunting in March/April 1993

Awesome firearm
Posted By: Kodiakisland Re: Vanguard .250 Savage - 04/27/24
Originally Posted by Lorne

I remember reading an article about that in Peterson’s Hunting in March/April 1993

Awesome firearm

I remember that one too. I love my Ruger 77 and Cooper M54 in .250. It's about the only thing I whitetail hunt with these days. Always gets the job done.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Vanguard .250 Savage - 04/27/24
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Were it a 1-7" Speedmire throated for 88/90's and wearing better bases/rings,with the G3 Lit version(LRTSI '12x),she'd be a PEACH. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Just sayin'................

Yeah, BUT its NOT YOUR rifle is it?

Does everyone on the campfire need YOUR approval for what rifle they get because THEY liked it and it was their money in the first place... NOT yours.

Are your insecurities so great, that it drives you nuts, if everyone doesn't do exactly like YOU do?

Just sayin..... HINT...

Have a good day Stumpy.... smile
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Vanguard .250 Savage - 04/27/24

Awesome firearm

IIRC, Weatherby made a prototype and Layne Simpson did an article on it.
Posted By: shootinurse Re: Vanguard .250 Savage - 04/27/24
Great score on that rifle. Had a chance at a Vanguard years ago, that I would have rebarrelled to .250, but I hemmed and hawed too much. Enjoy.
Posted By: Jason280 Re: Vanguard .250 Savage - 04/28/24
I've been really tempted to rebarrel a Kimber 84M into a 20" .250 Savage....this thread isn't helping.
Posted By: Jericho Re: Vanguard .250 Savage - 04/28/24
I would love to have a Winchester M54 carbine in 250-3000 in my grubby little paws.......
Posted By: Lorne Re: Vanguard .250 Savage - 04/28/24
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

Awesome firearm

IIRC, Weatherby made a prototype and Layne Simpson did an article on it.

Sounds right but my memory……😉

IF I remember correctly the rifle he received to test was #1 of 2 prototype/examples. Weight was , I think, 6 1/2 pounds. Again the memory question 🤷‍♂️
Posted By: Seafire Re: Vanguard .250 Savage - 04/28/24
Originally Posted by Jericho
I would love to have a Winchester M54 carbine in 250-3000 in my grubby little paws.......

I'd enjoy EVEN SEEING one of those in great shape, in your hands, or anyone else's for that matter.

you have SUPERB taste my friend. MY unicorn is a Model 54 in the 30/30 Winchester or a Model 30S in 30 Rem, or 25 Remington.
Posted By: pacecars Re: Vanguard .250 Savage - 05/02/24
Originally Posted by viking
Sweet.

What is the twist rate.

It is a 1:7 twist
Posted By: pacecars Re: Vanguard .250 Savage - 05/02/24
Just got the gun today. I like the scope but it weighs a ton so going to go with something lighter on top. Rifle feels good with the scope off. Rifling looks sharp and not shot much. The stock is bedded nicely. Need to see how accurate it is now. I like it
Posted By: 257Bob Re: Vanguard .250 Savage - 05/02/24
Just got the gun today. I like the scope but it weighs a ton so going to go with something lighter on top. Rifle feels good with the scope off. Rifling looks sharp and not shot much. The stock is bedded nicely. Need to see how accurate it is now. I like it

I'm in Tallahassee as well, probably bumped into each other at Kevin's!
© 24hourcampfire