Home
I picked up a swirly HTG/Tex for a Remington 700 yesterday off McMillan's internet specials, and now I have to decide what to build on it. I'm leaning toward a heavy barreled 30-06 but am open to suggestions. I've got Talley lightweight rings coming, and am thinking about Williams bottom metal as I'll be converting an ADL 700. I need ideas, so please post your pics and experiences. Thanks!
Started with Badger base/rings. It put the glass too high for my liking.
[Linked Image]

Dropped it down with Burris DD Signature with eccentric inserts buying 20 moa slope. Better, but still wasn't feeling the love.
[Linked Image]

Cut the barrel to 22", put a small scope in Talley LW lows, and found happiness.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
htg, fluted 6, seekins rings and bases, williams bottom metal. i am very happy with the combo.

goes about 13 or so lbs as she sits.

what are you planning on using this rifle for?
I'm planning on it rounding out my quartet of 30-06's; I've got a pre-64 set up in a McMillan with cerakote and iron sights; another pre-64 Featherweight '06 with a 2.5 ultralight Leupold for hiking, and an FN Mauser with a Pac Nor barrel for loaning out. This gun will be for longer range shooting from prone and with a bipod, I'd like to learn to shoot at longer ranges (I usually practice at either 100 or 200 yards) and figure I might as well build a rig grin
I've built a few on HTGs, and this is by far my favorite:

[Linked Image]

It sports a fluted #6 barrel, which is the lightest I would go in that handle. It balances great for a heavy rifle.
I'm looking at a plain (unfluted) 5.5 contour Shilen, my stock is inletted for a #19 Krieger, and the 5.5 Shilen is the closest I can find to that contour. Beings as I could get this stock in five days rather than five months, I figured a little bit of fudging on the contour would be no sweat. grin
An unfluted 5.5 will probably weigh about the same as a fluted #6. You'll be in dandy shape!

If you ever want to go bigger, opening up the barrel channel is a piece of cake.
CAS, is that a standard fill?

J
I honestly don't remember how it was spec'd. It goes about 40oz.
CAS: What's the overall weight? .308? How many rounds before the recoil becomes noticeable?
Shootone, who built your stick? Barrel length? I am wanting to put an LTR in one.
Patriot Arms, 22in barrel

I would guess Cas's rifle probably goes 11lbs, ours are almost identical builds mine just sports a much heavier scope. Brad Arnett also has a PAI built 223ai, on broughton unfluted #6. he had it in a htg but switched to a mansners.

my thoughts on the htg stock: i like it very much and dont notice to low comb many complain of, i have since added an eagle stock pack to mine.

[Linked Image]

Remmy factory .243 VS bbl'd action in an M40A1 stock ... Leupy MK4 3.5-10x40 M1 on top in Badger hardware ... EI stock pack.

bbl is the remmy varmint contour, which is a hair too light for the overall package, as the bbl channel is inletted for a #7 (the stock is one of the returns from the USMC)... but since the bbl is currently 26" long, it balances rather well ...
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Rem 700, 300 Whisper, dipped, Leupold 6x.

Pmc
WGM,

What does your .243 rig weigh in about? How do you like the 26" barrel--must get some nice velocity outta of her? BTW, nice looking set-up/rig

Leo
weight is right at 15lbs as pictured, with a fully loaded belly... the 26" bbl is nice for velocity and because I'm obviously not carrying it around in places where the long tube is cumbersome ... I get nearly 3400fps with 85g Sierra Gamekings (moly'd) over 46.0g H4350, W-W brass and WLR primers ...

should also mention that it's wicked accurate to boot ...
Im my day they called them General Purpose or GP stocks.Both of these rifles have the barreled actions skidded forward .5 of a inch in the stock.Makes for a much better feel on the grip than standard.More room for my big hands.
[Linked Image]
270 WCF on the top.280 AI on the bottom.Schmidt&Bender all the way.
dave
Dave ... I always loved that picture ... damn fine twins ...
Dave,

What is the color ratio on the two? Very, very nice...
SS110,
Its supposed to be 75% black and 25% gray.Supposed to be anyway.
The twins were smithed by Dwight Scott.And stocked by Tommy at TM Stockworks.They kinda grow on ya.Afer awhile..
[Linked Image]
dave
What barrel contour do you got in that one Dave7mm?
Here's one of the original M40A1 stocks on my setup.

[Linked Image]

Wes in AZ
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
70 tan 30 brown [Linked Image]
what is the difference in the classic vs the HTG other than the comb/cheek piece? kinda' wafflin between the two..... bang around paper killin', frog blastin' thing..... weight is not an issue..

also, how does the marksman compare to the htg? cant find a pic of the marksman...

nice rigs. you guys are very bad..........

woofer
Classic:

[Linked Image]

HTG:

[Linked Image]

I know you didn't mention it, but if weight is not an issue, I'd go A5. I love that stock.

The HTG is sort of a 'tweener. It's not quite a dedicated hunting stock and not quite a dedicated bench/prone stock.

The Classic is a really nice stock. Sort of a beefier Mountain Rifle stock.

I think the best way to decide which stock to use is by first deciding your final rifle weight. If you want heavy (i.e. 15lbs or so), that means a big ol' barrel and thus a big stock like the A-series stocks and the HTG. I'd think anything under a Remington Varmint/Sendero contour would be too small for this stock.

If you want something smaller, say #3-#5 contour, you're looking at something like the Classic or maybe even the HTG. Finished weight should be 8-10lbs here.

If you want to go smaller than that, the Mountain Rifle pattern is your ticket. I've got a Douglas No. 3 in a Mountain Rifle pattern Mickey and that's as large as I'd go. One quick note...keep in mind that PacNor's contours run on the large side. I've got a No. 1 PacNor that's almost as big as my No. 3 Douglas.

-Dan
[Linked Image]
thanks a bunch.. have an a5. thinking more along the lines of the htg.

remmy varmint contour will be the tube i would consider. i plan to walk some with the gun so the a5 doesn't really carry as well as i would like. i am not sure why i would want the htg though if everyone puts packs on the butt so they get a sight line when the classic would offer me good sight line without.

using the remmy varmint contour is there any reason the classic is not the one to pick?

no trying to hijack the thread, just convenient that all you guys have the htg smile

thanks

woofer
I would think the Varmint contour might be a little big for the Classic, but I can't speak from experience and will defer to someone that has actually tried it.

As for the stock pack, I actually like them for a number of reasons other than raising the comb.
looks like your right! htg it is then....

thanks

woofer
If you want something more Classic-like, the Marksman you mentioned looks like it might fit the bill and should accommodate the Varmint contour. Maybe somebody here has experience with that stock and can comment.

-Dan

using the remmy varmint contour is there any reason the classic is not the one to pick?

IIRC McMillan says something approximating a Douglas #5 is the upper limit for a Classic. I have a Classic on a 700 LVSF whose barrel contour is pretty much a Remington magnum, and based on how that looks/fits I'd agree a #5 would definitely be on the large side. And that would need to be set up with a short shank to boot.

Even if it fit, a Rem varmint contour in the Classic would handle like a pig.
where did you find specs for the marksman? could not find anything..

woofer
[Linked Image]
Marksman? I mentioned the Classic.
clark mentioned the marksman... glad i asked. you guys saved me some more headaches smile

thanks

woofer
Straight from McMillan's website...

[Linked Image]

WINCHESTER MARKSMAN

The Winchester Marksman is a large stock primarily designed for bigbore competition. The Winchester Marksman makes a very good varmint stock. This classic stock doesn't have a cheekpiece, which allows it to be shot either right or left-handed. It will accept all Model 70 actions, as well as Remington 700, 721, 722, 788, or 40X. It is available as a blind magazine, a hinged floorplate, or as a single shot using an ADL trigger guard. Available with or without texture on the pistol grip and forend. Will accept up to a #8 contour.
Do you guys think a #4 barrel would be to light in a HTG or Marksman stock?
I'd have to say yes. I'd think the Classic or something similar would be better.
I can say from experience that a #5 fits in the sporter well.

John
700 VS LH 308, with a few mods.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Schlum
Do you guys think a #4 barrel would be to light in a HTG or Marksman stock?

If you look at my twins up top.They both have number 4 Harts.
I thought it looked fine.
dave
Any new HTG stock pics out there????
Originally Posted by dave7mm
Im my day they called them General Purpose or GP stocks.Both of these rifles have the barreled actions skidded forward .5 of a inch in the stock.Makes for a much better feel on the grip than standard.More room for my big hands.
[Linked Image]
270 WCF on the top.280 AI on the bottom.Schmidt&Bender all the way.
dave

You still shooting these Dave?
Not a new pic, but this is a 400 Whelen w/Sunny Hill metal....

[Linked Image]

© 24hourcampfire