Home
Posted By: Buckster Hart Rifle Barrels - 12/22/07
Have a .308 1/12 twist Hart Rifle barrel that I may put on a 700 Sucks action in 30-06.

Hart will turn down the heavy barrel to a standard Remington contour and flute the barrel (six flutes) along with squaring the action and lapping the lugs for a very reasonable price. I plan on putting it in a Mickey mountain rifle stock, which I already have.

Looking to see if anyone has used Hart Rifle Barrels Inc. for this work before I commit. Any feedback would be helpful. Thanks
Posted By: MtnHtr Re: Hart Rifle Barrels - 12/22/07
FWIW

There was a rep at Redding die company that used Hart exclusively for all his rifles. I don't remember his name but he might still be there. Hart had built him a 6.5RM IIRC.

Met an outfitter in WY, who had a McMillan camo, Rem 700 in 7STW built by Jeff Hart in his scabbard. Obviously Jeff had been a client of his.

MtnHtr
Buckster-I've been around a handful of Harts, personally haven't seen or heard a bad thing about them to date.

They shoot well and clean up well and last well.

My first retube job was on my old M77 and I had a fella put on a Hart 25/06 tube and man did it ever rock. My best friend just loved the rifle so I gave it to him. He lives in Wyo and uses it for all that moves down there from pd's to elk.

I'd be for getting after it.

Dober
Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: Hart Rifle Barrels - 12/22/07
I've had them rebarrel a 700 action, they do excellent work I have 4 of their barrels and they all shoot great and clean up easy,have them do the work you'll be happy
Posted By: pullit Re: Hart Rifle Barrels - 12/22/07
I have several Hart barrels and had them turn down a #7 contour to a #4. I have a 22 cal Hart on order right now....
I would use them again any time without thinking twice....
Posted By: Buckster Re: Hart Rifle Barrels - 12/22/07
Thanks to all for the input.

I just needed a nudge as this barrel has been gathering dust for some time.
Posted By: DMB Re: Hart Rifle Barrels - 12/23/07
I only use Hart barrels for rifles that I want a stainless barrel on. I bought my first Hart custom rifle in 1968 from Clyde Hart, and have never used another stainless barrel for my rifles. Have had 8 rifles with Hart barrels since and all are as accurate as any rifle made.
They have treated me right over the years, so I will always use their barrels when I want a stainless barreled rifle. They don't make CM barrels, or all my rifles would have Hart Barrels.
The Harts are a good family. The Suttons too, who work there.

Don
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Hart Rifle Barrels - 12/23/07
This Hart ????

http://www.rwhart.com/

Or this Hart ???

http://www.hartbarrels.com/

Posted By: 300MAG Re: Hart Rifle Barrels - 12/24/07
both
Posted By: Partagas Re: Hart Rifle Barrels - 12/24/07
Are they the same or related?
Posted By: Cajun Blake Re: Hart Rifle Barrels - 12/24/07
2 different companies, yet they are family related.....cousins I believe. Both companies have been in operation for over 50 years.

cb <*)))>{
Posted By: Labman95 Re: Hart Rifle Barrels - 12/24/07
284LUVR - I was in their shop in Nescopek awhile back to have some minor work done and I asked the same question re: the two Harts. I was told is that they are cousins and the one in NY makes the barrels and the one in PA does the gunsmithing. Hope this clears things up.
Posted By: DMB Re: Hart Rifle Barrels - 12/24/07
Clyde Hart in LaFayette, New York, made rifle barrels, as well as doing all of the gunsmithing to build a rifle too. His brother Robert W. Hart, in Nescopeck, PA, built rifles, did the deep hole boring of rifle barrels for Clyde, and built the excellent front rest they still make and sell. RW also built 2 ounce triggers for Rem 700 actions.
Both Clyde and Robert are gone from the shooting range, and their children now run the businesses. Wally Hart, RW's son, runs the business in Nescopeck, and Paul, Clyde's son, does the barrel making. Paul's son, Jim Hart, does the gunsmithing there in LaFayette, so they are a complete gunsmith house.
I've been to both shops. For me, the Hart's in LaFayette are like family.

Don
© 24hourcampfire