Home
Here are a few pics of a mini Mauser Shane Thompson is building for me. Talk about making a silk purse out of a sows ear. This is the perfect example. When Shane is finished it's going to James Anderson for the stock work.

When this rifle is finished this will without a doubt be the nicest rifle in my safe. I know it seems a little strange to put so much effort into a walking varmint rifle, but my thinking was this will be the most used gun in the safe as I walk for song dogs much more than I hunt any other game. Besides I can use it on occasion during deer season too.

Shane is no doubt the most meticulous gunsmith I've ever dealt with. He ranks up there with the all time greats IMO. He's done things to the action functionally and cosmetically that I would have never even thought of. I feel very lucky to have him building this for me.

Here are the specs on the barreled action:
1. Charles Daly Mini Mauser action
2. Timney featherweight trigger
3. James Anderson custom bottom metal. Looks like Blackburn but scaled down to mini Mauser size.
4. Dakota 3 position safety.
5. Custom contoured Shilen select barrel Chambered in .223 20" long with a 1 in 9" twist.
6. Lot's of custom amenities. Custom bases, quarter rib, front sights and barrel swivel.
7. New bolt handle.

Here are a few pictures of the action being built. It;'s not finished and this is a work in progress. I thought some of you might enjoy them as it's something you don't see everyday. For a look at all the pictures I have an album set up. You're more than welcome to take a look at the entire set. They can be seen at:

http://imageevent.com/lucky/shanethompsonminimauserpartii

I will be adding more as the project progresses.

Here are a few

Surface grinding the billboard off the action. This will straighten up all the surfaces.
[Linked Image]
After the srface grind is complete the left side is milled. A thumb cut is added and the side is milled to get that funky 45 degree bevel off and give it that G33/40 look. This is all cosmetic.
[Linked Image]

After affects. No more writting on the action and it looks great!
[Linked Image]
Next the tang is welded up ground off where the factory safety was. A 3-position safety will be added so this feature is no longer needed.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Next, the barrel is contoured. This is going to be a VERY petite rifle. The finished contoured barrel is sitting next a Shilen featherweight! Remember the quater rib part? It'll need the custom contour to look right.

[Linked Image]
[img]http://photos.imageevent.com/lucky/shanethompsonminimauserpartii/websize/100_0064.jpg[/img]

Now, the bottom of the action is milled level. This is one of those things that makes the man a 1%er wink
[img]http://photos.imageevent.com/lucky/shanethompsonminimauserpartii/websize/100_0146.jpg[/img]

And finally we have the bases and rings. You can get a good idea of how scaled down this action is by looking at the rings on top. He takes care of that in the next set of pics.
[img]http://photos.imageevent.com/lucky/shanethompsonminimauserpartii/websize/IMG_0246.JPG[/img]
[img]http://photos.imageevent.com/lucky/shanethompsonminimauserpartii/websize/IMG_0248.JPG[/img]
The shaping of the bases and rings. What I can I add? It's just amazing! He didn't include many photo's of this happening. It may be a proprietary operation. "I could show you, but I'd have to kill you afterwards" grin. I wish I could have been there looking over his shoulder when he did these.
[img]http://photos.imageevent.com/lucky/shanethompsonminimauserpartii/websize/100_0135.jpg[/img]
[img]http://photos.imageevent.com/lucky/shanethompsonminimauserpartii/websize/100_0136.jpg[/img]

Notice how the rings have been recontoured. He even took some of the height off of them. He told in an email he had about 5 hours in the rings. He said the front ring is 0.030 wider and made that way on purpose. These are the old Kimber rings that tighten in opposite directions.

[img]http://photos.imageevent.com/lucky/shanethompsonminimauserpartii/websize/100_0142.jpg[/img]
[img]http://photos.imageevent.com/lucky/shanethompsonminimauserpartii/websize/100_0149.jpg[/img]
[img]http://photos.imageevent.com/lucky/shanethompsonminimauserpartii/websize/100_0151.jpg[/img]

That's all I have for now. The bolt handle, safety and bolt release are next. Then the barrel and all of it's amenities. I'll post more as I get them.

Terry

Nice Terry--amazing amount of work...

I love hunting with a rifle that brings a guy as much enjoyment to look at it as shoot it.

Imagine that has some application to women as well...
Missed the clipslot first time thru--great! I love them.
Mamacita, that is going to be a looker. Betcha it's a shooter, too.
Wow! All I can say is: "To each his own!" said the ol' lady when she kissed the cow....

Going to be purdy for sure, but if it were me, I sure to God wouldn't have put a thumb slot in it. frown I can understand the omission of the writing, but ? ? ?

I am getting rid of all my Mausers with the thumb-slot and going with only commercial actions. blush Different strokes..... I guess!

Grasshopper
Yep, different strokes. That's one of the beautiful things about a custom rifle. You can have it any way you want it.

Terry
Terry, I've been looking at building a project using the same action. Do you know off hand the longest cartridge the action/magazine can take? I need 2.500 for my wildcat.
Very nice!! What about the serial number? Is it ok to restamp the same number?
Hi Tod. Shane has had this action for a LONG time and he's on the other side of the country. I wish I could measure it for you but can't. They use this same action for the 22-250 and 7.62X39. It's gotta be real close to 2.50"

Justsaymoe, the # can be ground off with no problem as long as the SAME # is re applied. In this case the # went on the bottom of the action when the rifle is at the engraver the # will be put back on the side.

Terry
Thanks Terry,

IIRC, this is the same action used in the Remington 700, built by Zastava. unfortunately, I haven't been able to lay my hands on one to measure. I am hopung it is longer than the CZ-527 action, which is only about 2.280.

Looks like you are going to have a nice little rifle. Your military mods (clip loading slot) made me think about building a small scale K98 in 223. I'm not sure why someone would do it, but it would be cute.

Looking forward to seeing the final product.

Tod
i actually like the thumb cut, depending on the style of stock used it will give it sort of a mickey mouse guild rifle look
Originally Posted by dj1
i actually like the thumb cut, depending on the style of stock used it will give it sort of a mickey mouse guild rifle look

This man knows what I'm after! Although I do resent the Micky Mouse comment. I was thinking more like Mini Me from the Austin Powers movie grin

The barreled action will have a lot of English accents to it. We've got an scaled down old Rigby pattern in mind for the stock. James Anderson builds a beautiful stock. It's going to look nice.

Here is the blank that'll be used. It's a nice piece of Turkish. Very conservitive on the front end and just explodes with detail just past the grip.

[Linked Image]

Terry
I love double bridge mausers. The rings are a very nice and worthwhile touch. Keep the pics coming
Yep, keep 'em coming.
TC1, i thought that was the look you were going after & mickey mouse just means smaller than normal its not meant as an insult. i've considered doing something similar with one of the french mas 45 .22lr mauser copies but i haven't found one in the right condition yet.
I know, I just thought it was funny.

No harm done.

Terry
Terry: Sweet! From photo's ( I have never held a rifle built by him)Thompson exhibits an ability to pare metal in the right spots to eliminate the "clunky look",and he proportions everything just right. Great sense of contour and line to everything he does.

Any particular reason he is not doing the stock for you?

Very creative project, by the way....anyone picking it up will think you have one of a very few rare and exotic pre war-something Mausers out of Oberndorf or somesuch... smile
Any particular reason he is not doing the stock for you?

I can't afford him. Shane charges about twice what most builders do. With a stock like Shane builds most of the work is below the wood line anyway. We talked about him doing the whole gun but I just couldn't swing it. It was just too much. Shane understood, He's a blue collor worker too. wink

Funny thing is, his prices for dupication are very reasonable and he'll do copies of his own patterns.

IMO, it all worked out for the best. There is a new guy on the scene that is building some rifles I drool over. The stocks he builds have the lines that I seem to be drawn to in a custom rifle. His name is James Anderson and I feel VERY fortunate to have secured a place in line for him to stock it. I couldn't afford a rifle by both builders but I'll have a little of both in this rifle.

Terry
Terry--
Did I miss you mentioning the chambering?

If you need to to go up to Shane's and kick the project loose at some point, let me know. He only lives about 90 minutes north of me (next door in this region) and he has done some stock duplicating and a basic barrel job. I have never had the jingle to pull the trigger on a full custom. His machine work is top flight. I saw the barreled action that was the examination/test piece that he submitted for adjuciation for entry into the Guild. It was had complex integrated rib and sights, all milled from a single round blank. He made some chips on floor with that project.
Hi Utah, it's going to be chambered in .223 with a 1 in 9" twist barrel.

Mine will have a quarter rib too but it won't be integral. It will have the double transition front to back with a sight island and go from round on top at the front ring to flat where the sights sit. He's also making the front sight ramp and the barrel swivel stud. All three items will have the same transition were they end. A very nice custom touch!

This whole project is going to be some serious coin. I know most people when they get ready to have their "dream rifle" built go with a big bore. I've seen some beautiful ones. My thinking was why not build that once in a lifetime rifle in something I could use 12 months out of the year and not just a trip to Africa. This is not going to be a safe queen.

Terry
beautiful little action and rings....
TC1 your little rifles got me considering a 22hornet build on one of the rem 799's, something like a mini-rigby 303. of course i'd have to build my own bottom metal similar to the slanted mag on a siamese mauser to get rid of that ugly clip the hornets use & hope like hell it would feed when i was done with it.
if i do it will be a open sight rifle & probably even get a stripper clip hump built up on it to keep with the look
Does the 22 hornet 799 uses a detachable magazine? None of the other caliber 799s do.
Wow.... that little build has me thinking about something done up similar in 6-204 or .25-204..... crazy light tube cut to about 18" ...... Bansner stock.....

Hmmmmmm......
tod,
the 22 hornet versions use a butt-ugly detachable single stack mag that sticks out the bottom about 1 1/4".
i've been wanting a 22 hornet anyway & it would be a good use for my big fat economy stimulating check.
Originally Posted by dj1
TC1 your little rifles got me considering a 22hornet build on one of the rem 799's, something like a mini-rigby 303. of course i'd have to build my own bottom metal similar to the slanted mag on a siamese mauser to get rid of that ugly clip the hornets use & hope like hell it would feed when i was done with it.
if i do it will be a open sight rifle & probably even get a stripper clip hump built up on it to keep with the look

That would be neat! Maybe one of those over size charger humps like on the Peruvian (SP?) Mausers. A scaled down 3 leaf express sight and banded front. I personally would forgo the Hornet because of the clip. I wish I had taken a picture of the James Anderson bottom metal that's going on this action. If you would have seen it I'm sure you would agree. Maybe a 6X45, that would be a nice choice for an open sight rifle too.

Terry
terry, i was thinking of building my own bottom metal similar to a rigby 303 to get rid of the clip. i have a siamese slanted bottom metal for a rigby style 303 project similar to this rigby 303 & i was thinking of using it as a pattern & scaling it down for the 22hornet. i've been pricing the 799's & will probably get one within the next few weeks & gradually start working on it.
i have too many other projects going on right now to go all out on it as soon as i get it
Originally Posted by dj1
terry, i was thinking of building my own bottom metal similar to a rigby 303 to get rid of the clip. i have a siamese slanted bottom metal for a rigby style 303 project similar to this rigby 303 & i was thinking of using it as a pattern & scaling it down for the 22hornet. i've been pricing the 799's & will probably get one within the next few weeks & gradually start working on it.
i have too many other projects going on right now to go all out on it as soon as i get it

Sounds like a really neat idea! Notice how I tried to talk you out of the 22 Hornet? That's just my own prejudices coming though. crazy HA! I need to watch myself. Yea, I could see what you're talking about in a nice little stalking rifle.

I certainly understand about too many irons in fire also. If I ever get all projects that I've started finished I'll have more than I'll ever need.

Terry
Originally Posted by TC1
My thinking was why not build that once in a lifetime rifle in something I could use 12 months out of the year and not just a trip to Africa. This is not going to be a safe queen.

Terry
I like the way you think.
And it looks like you have a very nice little rifle in the works.

dj1;
That 22 Hornet project sounds interesting.
Originally Posted by dj1
tod,
the 22 hornet versions use a butt-ugly detachable single stack mag that sticks out the bottom about 1 1/4".
i've been wanting a 22 hornet anyway & it would be a good use for my big fat economy stimulating check.

Interesting and good to know. I opted for a CZ-527 in Hornet and had it rechambered to K.All it needed was a RifleBasix trigger. It does have a detachable mag, but I learned to get use to the bottom metal.

At least with the CZ you get a true Mauser CRF.

[Linked Image]
At least with the CZ you get a true Mauser CRF.

Yea, CRF is pretty important with rifles this size. Did I ever tell you the story of the charging rock chuck and suffering a double feed jam on my varmint stopping rifle? I know, it's stupid but I couldn't resist. HAR! laugh

Those CZ's are some fine rifles. If I was going to leave the rifle bone stock I think the CZ is a no brainer. I was talking to James Anderson about these rifles not long ago. At one time he was planning on doing custom bottom metal and M70 style safeties for them. I think he eventually passed on the idea though.

Terry
Terry, What's the lastest on this project. I just put an mini-mauser on hold at my local shop a few minutes ago. I remembered seeing this post a while back. Give us an update and some new pics if you got 'em.

David Walker
Originally Posted by x2mosg
Terry, What's the lastest on this project. I just put an mini-mauser on hold at my local shop a few minutes ago. I remembered seeing this post a while back. Give us an update and some new pics if you got 'em.

David Walker

I know he has the barrel barrel on and the quarter rib roughed in. He took a little time off to do some Spring bear hunting. We talked about 2 weeks ago and he hadn't started back on it yet. If he doesn't finish it soon he's off my Christmas card list for at least next year!

I'll call later next week and find out what's going on.

Terry
Thanks for the update. I found one of these little rifles, an Interarms though, in a local pawn shop today that a friend owns. I think I must have it. First one I've seen and it's a pretty cool little rifle. Small as or smaller than some rimfires and shooting 223. I like the idea.

David
Yea, I'm seriously thinking about a 7.62X39 to go with the .223 just for plinking with. Of coarse I would keep it a little closer to stock.

Terry
Terry,
That is going to be a FINE rifle! Thanks for sharing the pic's!
Much the same, James Anderson is building mine in 223 AI but with the handle to the south.

All the usual changes with AAA furniture. A silk purse out of a sow's ear is quite accurate.
Gdv
Goodnews, James is one heck of a craftsman. He'll be stocking this one as soon as Shane finishes it. It'll be interesting to see how our two stocks turn out. I think mine will have a little more drop than most people like these day's. It just seems to fit me better and looks very classic.

Terry

Should be done in a bit. Looking forward to getting it.
Do you have any photos of the bottom metal?
Originally Posted by ctviking

I don't have any pictures of the bottom metal right now but Shane say's the barreled action is finished with exception of the bolt handle and 3-position safety. James Anderson has turned some scaled down Oberndorf style handles and will be doing the safety. The way I understand it you need to make a special collor that goes inside the safety as the root isn't long enough on the mini mauser. James has done a few of these so we all decided he would be the man for the job.

The bottom metal looks a lot like a Blackburn style bottom metal with a teardrop shaped triggerguard and straddle floorplate but scaled down to fit the Mini Mauser. When I get it back I'll shot some more pics and post them.

Here is the latest set of pics. He wouldn't send any of the barreled action finished. He said he wanted it be a surprise smile. Of coarse when I get it back I'll post some.

Terry

Now keep in mind these are all custom made parts fresh off the mill. They are all made to scale with the little action. No NECG parts here, they would all be too big. None of the parts have been polished in these pictures.

Quarter rib roughed in on the custom contoured barrel.
[Linked Image]

Front sight base
[Linked Image]

Rear sight freash off the mill
[Linked Image]
In the process of having a 20 tac built from this same action, the mag box measures 2.290"
A pic of the closest thing I got to bottom metal for the mini action
[Linked Image]
RR

As promised, and a few more to go with it. The metal work is almost finished! It's really hard to get a handle on how petite this thing actually is because Shane did such a good job scaling everything down to size. It's amazingly small. The last few pictures might help.

Terry
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://photos.imageevent.com/lucky/...websize/newest%20mini%20mauser%20055.JPG[/img]
[img]http://photos.imageevent.com/lucky/...websize/newest%20mini%20mauser%20052.JPG[/img]
[img]http://photos.imageevent.com/lucky/shanethompsonminimauserpartii/websize/MINI%20FINISHED%20044.JPG[/img]
[img]http://photos.imageevent.com/lucky/shanethompsonminimauserpartii/websize/MINI%20FINISHED%20026.JPG[/img]

Talk about small!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[img]http://photos.imageevent.com/lucky/shanethompsonminimauserpartii/websize/length%20004.JPG[/img]
[img]http://photos.imageevent.com/lucky/shanethompsonminimauserpartii/websize/MINI%20FINISHED%20033.JPG[/img]
Wow grin

VERY nice looking. Can't wait to see the end result.
Dang TC, you build some wicked cool stuff. I'd trust myself more handling a newborn baby than some of the art you build. grin
Gorgeous. I'd love to have one in 35 Remington.

Okie John
Originally Posted by SKane
Dang TC, you build some wicked cool stuff. I'd trust myself more handling a newborn baby than some of the art you build. grin

Everything I have has dents and dings in it. Every time it happens I lick the tip of my finger and rub the spot to see if it'll rub out, then I say "damn" and move on. It's just part of it. I personally think they look better with use. wink

Terry
Outstanding project!! I love the old world craftsmenship.You have a buyer!!Warms my heart to NOT see any plastic...
Dig the thumb cut. Very good looking project. Seriously.
Terry

Are you going to have any engraving done on that thing?
Yes, it'll have a little engraving. Nothing major. Just a little scroll trim and some Rigby style lettering.

Terry
Oberndorf style stock? One of those pancake cheek pieces? Stock styled like those 20s-30s sporters? Where the apprentice trying to get out of the Austrian guild would take some POS mauser and carve it up into something nice- a stalking rifle?? euro style hogsback comb? That would be a much later style, but still look cool.
Case color anything??

[Linked Image]
Hey Claude, the stock will be a classic English stalking rifle style. It'll have a very narrow and short forearm with a ebony tip. It'll have an open grip with a trapdoor grip cap and buttplate. It'll have about 1.5" of drop in the heal and about 14" LOP. I have a beautiful stick of Turkish walnut That I'm planning on using.

Terry
very nice metal work. quarter rib & front sight look real nice. q/d levers follow the lines of the rings instead of sticking out like a sore thumb. i need to start working on my mini mauser project
too bad you couldn't scrounge up a set of double triggers to adapt.
very cool project
That little jewel is just stinkin' cool.

Thank you so much for pics and updates.

Industrial art, it is.
Originally Posted by Claude_Gatewood
too bad you couldn't scrounge up a set of double triggers to adapt.
very cool project

you would probably need some mighty skinny fingers with that triggergaurd & double sets. i have two rifle with dst's on normal gaurds & they are a tight fit, i also have a dst on a springfield 1903 that is almost to tight.
what would probably look good & still fit in the gaurd would be to weld the lower section of a sxs or o/u shotgun trigger to the timneys trigger arm. you would have the look of a single set trigger & still be able keep the adjustable timney
Are we making offers yet?
This is bad..this is the first posting I look at now.....

Show the wood!!!
Here is the wood

[Linked Image]

and this is the stock style but It'll have a nice little pancake cheek piece. It's an old Jeffery style stock.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Outstanding!!!The Jeff is a great style to copy.Perfect wood for the project!Where did the pictures of the Jeff come from? I have a TD carbine in .333,I bought it from Cabelas years ago...
Whats the story with the take down knob on the right side? Got pics of it broke down? The case?

oh man...you making this a take down??1!!??WTF??!!1!!!?1?!1!!1
Rifle, the pictures came off the Cabelas web site. That rifle is sitting at the FT Worth TX store. It's 100% and swings and points like it's a part of your body. I've had the pleasure of handling the rifle and it's simply amazing. So is the price, it's set at $10,000.00! After seeing the rifle I spent all weekend trying figure out how I could buy it and remain married. After two day's of thinking about it and considering if my children really needed to go college crazy I finally had to let the idea go and stick with the "pay as you go" route for a custom rifle that's worked for me so far.

Claude, no take down, but wouldn't that be cool! The picture was just to show the style stock I'm leaning towards.

Terry
I've heard about that rifle at Ft.Worth.My carbine is not that nice after spending 50 years in Africa,I paid over 5K in 1999.So 10K is the market today.
I must say your project is one of the best I've seen in years.You seem to have picked the best craftsman for the job.I was thinking on a Ruger #1 build up after seeing one of Lon Pauls guns,but that mini-Mauser is the cat's ass....
Keep up posted!!
I would love to buy this one back from him and finish it out for one of my four boys but Terry won't even consider it. Good thing I'm not a fulltime maker because I don't want to let any of them go!!

Shane
....Very pretty piece! I'd like one in 6.5 Grendel, good for deer to 300 or a bit more yards, but still super for a varmit gun as well!
Originally Posted by Shane_Thompson
I would love to buy this one back from him and finish it out for one of my four boys but Terry won't even consider it. Good thing I'm not a fulltime maker because I don't want to let any of them go!!

Shane

Hey Shane, glad to see you here! Welcome to the campfire.

Terry
This is going to cost alot of people alot of money....Damn,I gota go to work...no more pictures until tonight.....
I left work early to go look for actions...This is bad.This is like seeing a Hot Rod being built or a woman getting dressed..
Originally Posted by rifle
I left work early to go look for actions...This is bad.This is like seeing a Hot Rod being built or a woman getting dressed..

No joke! Now I keep looking for a lefty Charles Daly Mauser!!! Anyone know where I can find one??? Oh, long action .473 boltface???
I've got a lefty mini mauser setting in a box, and I have had Shane do work for me before. Maybe I know what I should be doing with it now.
Originally Posted by rifle

Rifle, you've got it bad eek I know the feeling. I'm seriously thinking about buying another one of these in a 7.62X39. When I started this project I had a mini mauser stock turned. I was going to use it for this project but before I knew it the metal work had out-classed the stock. I decided to have a real custom stock built for the above barreled action but what to do with this other stock? I'll never be able to sell it for what I have in it. I'm thinking maybe a cheaper version of this rifle. I dunno maybe a 7.62X39 with a factory barrel and just add some iron sights and a new bolt handle.

Terry

Terry,
Thanks for the welcome, I lurk sometimes but thought I'd better get on and say Hi and thanks to the compliments.

Shane
Well damn.... no more photo's??? Could have least sent a picture of Mr.Thompson's shop or toolbox or something....
this has really caused a problem in my life as I was just planning to hunt to Africa with a friend for his first hunt there....
Thanks for the wonderful photo's. That mini is going to be a beautiful rifle when you're finished. I am curious about the thumb cut, however. Other than personal peference or aesthetics, why did you bother putting that feature in the action ?
Rolly, some of the most beautiful rifles in the world have been built with Mauser actions with thumb cuts. To me it just goes along with the rest of the additions on that barreled action. It's just one of many, many things Shane did to it. Some are noticeable and some aren't. A lot were functional enhancements and some are purely aesthetic. For me the idea is to have the two combine and become functional art. everybody has there own idea about what a custom rifle should be, this is mine. Shane came up with the idea and ran it past me. I couldn't say yes fast enough smile

Terry
Rolly,
The G33/40 cut and the thumbcut did serve a purpose however small it may be. When I started to surface grind the action I could see that the lettering on the 45 degree beveling obviously wasn't going to clean up. I could have just run an endmill across it to recut the 45 but I didn't like the looks of it anyway. I mulled over ideas to make the side of the action look better and this is what I came up with. The original action is supposed to be a mini mauser but to me it didn't look anything like any mauser, FN, Mex, 1909, or any of them. I believe that now it looks like mini mauser.

Shane
Originally Posted by olhippie
....Very pretty piece! I'd like one in 6.5 Grendel, good for deer to 300 or a bit more yards, but still super for a varmit gun as well!

You know I was thinking the same thing, but I have another mex mauser in the works, so it will have to wait
I converted a CZ-527 to 6.5 Grendel. Nowhere near as nice as this project, but it looks to be a decent little whitetail rifle at a little over 7 pounds all up.
Terry did you turn the Mini Mauser into a CRF action too with a claw extractor?

Exquisite project by the way.

Regards
JohnT
Originally Posted by JohnT
Terry did you turn the Mini Mauser into a CRF action too with a claw extractor?

Exquisite project by the way.

Regards
JohnT

No, CRF just isn't necessary. The Mini Mauser has a hell for stout extractor already.

I had thought about some sort of 6mm wildcat but in the end I decided I didn't need it. The barrel is a 1-8" twist which will handle the Barnes TSX 62gr bullets. This alone will turn this little rifle into a fine deer killer. It will also shoot the lighter bullets very well making it great for song dogs and bobcats. The .223 is an amazing round that's a lot more versatile than most give it credit for. With today's heavier, better constructed bullets it'll take down and penetrate surprisingly well. Plus with the ease and price of obtainining .223 ammo it seemed like a no brainer.

Terry
Terry

Have you considered having either Shane or James have this on their table at the ACGG gathering? I would surely like to see it in the flesh. It will be one of the best looking 223s ever built I am sure. A real treasure to use and pass on some day.
Funny story, Shane was supposed to finish the thing last year for the show! He decided he would rather go hunting and hang out with his four boy's than work on my rifle, can you imagine that? I don't know if it'll be in a finished enough state to display at the show this year. James said he couldn't get started for a while. Shane might want to borrow it to show off his skills. If he does he's more than welcome to it. I would be honored.

Terry
Originally Posted by TC1
Funny story, Shane was supposed to finish the thing last year for the show! He decided he would rather go hunting and hang out with his four boy's than work on my rifle, can you imagine that?
Terry

Those guys from Idaho can be a bit narrow minded about things like that. Something about having their priorities right I reckon. laugh

Hopefully one of the two craftsmen will have it on display some day. I would really like to see it.

Many thanks for all the pictures.
I have a table at my house....it's welcome!
Do you have contact information for Shane? I am looking at a project in .250 savage using either a Savage 1920 action or one of these Mini-Mauser actions (Remington sells a 22-250 so I assume it is OK for 250 Savage) Looking at your outstanding rifle come together I am sold on the Mini-Mauser action. I particularly like the bottom metal.
Outstanding project!

Will the stock have a classic red finish like the Jeffery? And will it be cut out to match the thumb cut?

And the metal? Rust-blued?

You are creating an heirloom. Well done!

Cypress
Shane's contact info: [email protected]

I've talked to Jim about adding some color to the stock. Nothing is set in stone yet.

Terry
I can probably reach him a little quicker, I'm his dad. I've watched him work on this project several times. Saddly I can't take credit for his talent, it came from his mother.

Here's a picture of Shane's record book bear he/we got this spring, seven foot nine inches. Rifle is his custom 280, he's taken many head of big game with it.
[Linked Image]

Dick

Hey Dick, welcome to the campfire! I spent a lot of time with Shane on the phone the last two years during this project. I not only got a barreled action but made a good friend in the process. Shane sent me that picture of his hunt this spring. Man what an animal! From the story that went along with it, sounded like you guy's had a great time.

Terry
Any update pictures?
Any update pictures?

Yeah, what he said.
Well, not really. It's at James Andersons now. He's going to put a new bolt handle on it, a 3-position safety and stock it. Shane Thompsn wants to borrow it to show it off at the American Custom Gunmakers Guild show this February. If any of you are going this year you can see it on Shanes table. After that it should be full speed ahead.

Terry
Wanting to see it, whenever you get it or pics back.
that will be one fine looking gun. put's me at war with myself tho. build another gun or buy a tag... oh, the desisions one must make!
given the topic of "Mini-Mausers" take a look at this "Lefty" that the Canadians put together, mighty nice little gun.

"Charles Daly Mini Mauser, Totally overworked and stocked in house "Jeffrey Style" if you will.... Caliber .223 " from their website
Martini and Hagn Gun Makers

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Obviously not the first time this has been done. I corresponded with these fine gun makers as to cost and turn-around time on a similar piece, $8000.00 CAD and 6 months. Beautiful work indeed. Mine will be ready, RH version in .223 sometime in May.

Enjoy

Jerry

TC1 is that a Tessier blank?
No, Turkish.

Terry
Originally Posted by Tractorshaft
given the topic of "Mini-Mausers" take a look at this "Lefty" that the Canadians put together, mighty nice little gun.

"Charles Daly Mini Mauser, Totally overworked and stocked in house "Jeffrey Style" if you will.... Caliber .223 " from their website
Martini and Hagn Gun Makers

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Obviously not the first time this has been done. I corresponded with these fine gun makers as to cost and turn-around time on a similar piece, $8000.00 CAD and 6 months. Beautiful work indeed. Mine will be ready, RH version in .223 sometime in May.

Enjoy

Jerry

I've been looking at that rifle for about a month now. It's about perfect!

Terry

The Mini-Mauser above is beautiful in it's lines. Below is mine in .223 AI as built by James Anderson of Newell, SD. It shoots like it looks. The furniture is AAA American walnut.

[Linked Image]
I got to put some fingerprints on this project in Reno and it is going to be a sweet little rifle. The only fault I had was the original bolt handle's size and Shane assured me that will be replaced. I believe you have a winner here Terry and I am looking forward to it when completed.
Thanks Larry, James Anderson is ready to start the stock just as soon as he gets the barraled action back Shane. He'll be doing the bolt handle and safety too.

Goodnews, I never tire of seeing that rifle! James told me the story of how came to be. Lot's my projects grow once they get to
The gunsmiths too.

Terry

Yes, a rifle project is a lot like government. It only grows. grin
Quick question for you mini-mauser guys. A bit off-topic but not completely. Someone brought up the idea of buying one of the 799's a couple weeks ago when BP had them marked way down and switching barrels to make a 250-3000 Savage. Do ya'll know if the mag box is long enough for a 250 Savage? I haven't had a chance to measure my dad's mini to check. If it is that seems like it would be a great little compact whitetail rifle.

Thanks guys,

David

Now, back to the purty stuff.

I'm out of state and a long ways from my rifle. But the .223 cartridge doesn't fit in the mag with all that much room to spare, so, not knowing the OAL of the .250 I hesitate to say but I'm leaning toward "no."
I've read a thread on a gunsmithing forum about that very subject. The answer was no. But, if you're into wildcats there are a few choices.

Terry
Wildcat wouldn't be a problem. I handload everything anyway and this wouldn't be a rifle to go across the pond. Mostly just a compact lightweight whitetail rifle. Of course a .223 with 60gr. Partitions or 53gr. TSX's would do the job just as well. All shots would be inside 150 yards.

Thanks for the information guys. I didn't think it'd be long enough, from memory, but wasn't sure.

Now back to Terry's rifle. More pics please. This thing kills me. It's a beautiful little rifle.
Terry,

If Remington offers the rifle in 22-250, would not the parent round, 250-3000 fit as well? Is the 22-250 significantly shorter?
Terry,

If Remington offers the rifle in 22-250, would not the parent round, 250-3000 fit as well? Is the 22-250 significantly shorter?

I just looked at some cartridge drawings this morning and I'm in total agreement. They look indentical. I wish I had a link to the thread I mentioned. I would like to go back reference it again also.

Terry
The problem isn't the case. The problem is the bullet

Zastava says the 22-250 mag box is 2 19/64 (2.297) long.
http://www.zastava-arms.co.yu/english/civilni.htm

Cartridges of the World says the 250 Savage cartridge is 2.515 long and the case is 1.912.

That leaves about 0.385 for a bullet.

Check the overall length of the 250 Savage with the bullet you want to use to see if it will fit in the magazine.

Maybe someone with a rifle or action can see how hard it would be to lengthen the magazine.

Bruce
While I'd like to have one of these in 250, realistically a 22-250 with a 1-8" barrel and shooting 70 or 75gr. pills would be just as effective inside 200 yards, IMHO. The velocity gain of the 22-250 would offset the, probably, 100gr. bullet weight. Some would disagree, but I'd use that combo in a heartbeat. In fact I plan to this fall.
I felt the same way when I picked the .223 Too many good bullets out there these day's. With a 1-in-8" twist barrel a shooter has a lot of versatility.

Terry
That's what I did on my 22-250. Looks like I'll be picking it up, hopefully, next Saturday. Ordered a box of 70gr. TSX's and 2 boxes of 75gr. A-max's this morning. Course the A-max's aren't for deer. Roger is shooting it in with 75gr. Amax's so that's what it is built around. #3 Krieger 1-8 twist at 24" should do all I'll need. I bought a mini mauser early fall in .223, I think for $300. My dad loved it and paid me for it before I could get out his front door. So now I want one to keep. Thinking a .223.
Yea, I had to go with a second one too. Just too much fun grin In my case I already had a nice aftermarket stock I needed to use so the choice was easy. I found a guy that had one that happened to want a .44 Mag blackhawk I never used so we traded. I've never been one to leave well enough alone so off to James Andersons it went.

This one is a 7.62X39

It's a work in progress.
[Linked Image]

Terry
Nice.
this summer I hope to make a 22LR safari rifle on a CZ action- time permitting.
I stole a nice french blank its too narrow/small for anything but an Obendorf squirrel stalking rifle- 2 leaf rear hooded front etc.
Originally Posted by CWG
Nice.
this summer I hope to make a 22LR safari rifle on a CZ action- time permitting.
I stole a nice french blank its too narrow/small for anything but an Obendorf squirrel stalking rifle- 2 leaf rear hooded front etc.

Sounds neato. Those CZ's have a lot going for them right out the box.

Nothing more scary than a squirrel charge! A good stopping rifle will come in handy! grin I love projects like that. When you do it please share.

Terry
........................updates?....................

wth....some of us dont have lives and we be wait'n laugh
I haven't talked to James in a couple of weeks. I need to call and see if anything has happened.

Terry
I just got some pictures from James Anderson. These are of some changes to the magazine box and trigger fitment. These are a real treat. The bolt handle and 3-position are the the last things to be done and the metal is finished I believe. We're going over the final stock dimensions tomorrow and then the pattern goes into production.

James has been very kind to share the progress of this rifle with us. If you ever have a desire for that once in a lifetime gun please keep him in mind.

Below are a series of pictures were the magazine is depth is reduced to scale the rifle down. Since changing one thing always' effects another, a new trigger shoe is cut for the Timney trigger. This is a nice upgrade because it give a custom fit inside the the bow.

James Anderson:

"Heres a few pics to pass the time.
After milling the 1/8" off the height of the grip came down to what my Mex Mauser pattern is. The stock MiniX is a little too thick. My unmilled miniX holds 7 down. It looks like it too. I'll be able to trim your stock to a much more pleasing line with this modification."

"Setting the mag box to mill off 1/8" "
[Linked Image]

"Finished mlling"
[Linked Image]

"Here's some more pics. The Timney trigger was way too long for the little miniX bow especially with the shorter mag box.

zeroing the stock"
[Linked Image]

"Cad verifying the program"
[Linked Image]

"rough milling"
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://photos.imageevent.com/lucky/shanethompsonminimauserpartii/websize/DSC00362.jpg[/img]

Finished part
[img]http://photos.imageevent.com/lucky/shanethompsonminimauserpartii/websize/DSC00361.jpg[/img]

Basicly the before and after photo's

Notice how much better the trigger fits now and whille the depth doesn't look to be much, when you cover it with wood it'll be significant.

[img]http://photos.imageevent.com/lucky/shanethompsonminimauserpartii/websize/DSC00366.jpg[/img]

[img]http://photos.imageevent.com/lucky/shanethompsonminimauserpartii/websize/DSC00363.jpg[/img]

Thanks again James,

Terry

Final stock design agreed on and CAD drawing rendered.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The wood chips are about to start flying smile

Terry
That is a mighty impressive project you have! Wow!
cant wait to se the finished results, this guy seems to really know what he is doing.
Originally Posted by ironeagle_84
cant wait to se the finished results, this guy seems to really know what he is doing.

Oh yes, James Anderson and Shane Thompson are both at the thier game.

Terry
yer killin me

I have a CZ 452 that has a gorgeous stock on it...but...oh crap..
hope I can get caught up enough, and ahead enough to have something along the lines of a stalking sqirrel rifle done, quarter shorties, 3 leaf- but something modernish? i can see with my eyes wedding band on the barrel, case colored skel grip cap and butt plate, case the swivels before sweating the barrel band on (tough job) light engraving, hood front, like a beech combo, but again, more modern, and ditch that God awful floor metal etc...sigh, so many ideas and so little money and time, LOL
Terry,

After seeing that CAD rendering, well let's just say it got me sweating a bit. As if it wasn't bad enough watching this thing slowly progress, you had to go n post that pic. God this rifle is gonna be beautiful. And I'd bet it'll shoot too. I've got a Mexican 1910 in the safe, which is a lot different, but I've got very similar plans for it. I really like the lines of your rifle.

I assume James makes those scope rings? I really like how stream-lined they are.

David
Shane Thompson did the rings and most of the barreled action. He used a set of those old Warne QD rings and went to work on them. Shane has an eye for detail that's remarkable. The only problem is Shane has a full time carrier and a very young family that's got bigger since this job was commissioned. He's a world class gunsmith with absolutely no time to do anything extra.

James Anderson will be doing the 3-postion safety, bolt handle, the stock and anything he see's that will make this an over all better rifle. He reworked the trigger last week and he never even spoke to me about it. He just saw it needed attention and did it. I have complete trust in James and know he will do what it takes to make this a first class rifle worthy of the cover of any magazine. The cool thing about dealing with James is he has a CNC and CAD. You can discuss something and he can show you what it's going to look like. Too cool. As you can see from what he's done so far, I'm in good hands.

BTW, James isn't backed up the next three years like most of the guild gunsmiths are. If you've got a rifle that needs built he would be an excellent choice.

Terry
I'm calling 'dibs' on this if something happens.....

Like you change your mind and take up hockey or cars or....

Now Terry, I've been telling everybody that James is 3 years behind. I need him available for my projects. If he would get done with your old doggie mini maybe he could get on my stock.
Your Buddy
Butch
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
Now Terry, I've been telling everybody that James is 3 years behind. I need him available for my projects. If he would get done with your old doggie mini maybe he could get on my stock.
Your Buddy
Butch

grin
I think you should case color all the metal now. (grin) My meaning is that you've got a mighty "swanky" project going there, can't wait to see the finished product.
From the CAD
[Linked Image]

To the 3D version
[Linked Image]

A few small details and it'll on it's way to me. It's inletted for a factory barreled action at the moment. Mainly because I have one just like it. I can put my factory barreled action in this "try" stock and fingure print it for a few day's while the other barreled action doesn't have to make the trip across the country. Then if anything needs changed James can do that before nice blank goes under the knife.

This is going to be a VERY nice Mini Mauser!

Terry
Just a few pics of the pattern coming together. This is what keeps me hooked smile

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Terry
this is such a cool thread. some day, maybe i will be able to make one like it.
Terry, wow what a classy slab there. Love the lines of that stock.
I have two questions I just have to ask:

In picture #2, why is he using a end-mill in a drill chuck??

In picture #5, why is he using what appears to be a burr or rotary file and not an end-mill for that operation??
I was at Shane's today, one of the boys was crying, one was taking a nap, one was shooting hoops (in the house) & one was getting in the way of him working on 2 of my handguns! All 4 boys cling to him like lizards & he just keeps working away, I'd be a wild man, instead I'm just his dad keeping him away from more important projects. He just scowls when I show up with a pistol rug in my hands..... but in 3 weeks we will be gunning for bears again, that always puts a smile on his mug!

Dick
Anchorage99,
Are you talking about this page[14]? I can't see either of what you are talking about.
Butch
Originally Posted by Anchorage99
I have two questions I just have to ask:

In picture #2, why is he using a end-mill in a drill chuck??

In picture #5, why is he using what appears to be a burr or rotary file and not an end-mill for that operation??

Shane said he knew the mill police would come after him for using the drill chuck in a milling operation grin. He say's it's absalutely fine for non critical metal removal and is much faster.

On #5 I honestly don't know the answer but I will say it's hard to argue with the results.

Terry
Anchorage99,

I understand it's not good milling practice however this wasn't meant as a how to of machine shop practice. I can't say I'll never do it again, but I can say I'll never post pictures of it again wink. I'm amazed at how this has been more interesting to some than the actual project. As for the carbide burr, I use them a lot when dressing down welds. I have a lot of them and they are cheaper than good endmills. It's pretty hard on endmills when dressing down welds, the hardspots where weld material meets original metal can beat them up pretty bad.

Shane Thompson
I'll second that on the endmills and welds.
Butch
Update time grin

It's about that time.

The Mini Mauser stock is about to become a reality.

Remember this?
[Linked Image]

The pattern is complete and the blank has been choosen. This one gets the knod. I was saving it for an upcoming project but who knows when that'll happen so I figured now was as good a time as any to use it.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Here the layout James thinks works best. I get a chubby just looking at it :animal:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Terry
Some progress photo's came from James Anderson last night. The wood is stunning even dry and the layout is perfect. This is going to be an amazing stock!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Terry
Terry,
That stock layout is as good as it gets. Your final layout is so much better than the wood cutter's attempt at drawing the layout on the blank. It's going to be a stunning rifle. You, Shane and James have a lot to be proud of.
FB
Wow, that truly is a stunner! Congrat's again.
I am not sure when I saw a stock laid out with any better grip flow. No doubt that will be needed to withstand the recoil of this monster.

Just out of curiousity, does that pattern belong to you, or to James (i.e., who would I need to butter up if I wanted one duplicated off of it?)
utah708, the pictures do make a rifleman's mind race don't they?
I have built a couple of 6x45s on the mini mauser. My 6x45 African, almost a clone for your Mauser is on a Sako L-461, weighs under 6 lbs. and shoots real tiny groups with about any load....My deer and antelope load is the old 75 gr. Barnes X at almost 3000 FPS. It has worked very well on Rockchucks, coyotes, to Deer and Antelope. All one shot kills, but you have to use it with a modicum of caution and pick your shots.
James is an amazing craftsman isn't he?

Utah708, the pattern belongs to James. I sent him a picture of a stunning little W.J. Jeffery Mauser in 6.5X54 and told him I wanted one just like it and he's making it happen. He reduced the mag box depth so keep that in mind.

Some more great news happened today. I talked to Roger Kehr and his schedule has an opening pretty close to the time Jame will be finishing this up so a nice engraving job is in this rifles future! He's been watching the rifle come together and is excited about putting some scroll on it.

Terry
Terry

I agree with others. I don't know if I have ever seen a stock with better figure, color and grain flow combined as that one. That will be an awesome rifle when finished. Has James put the new bolt handle on it yet?
He hasn't installed the bolt handle or the 3-position safety yet. He said there would be some down time during the stock building and it would be done then.

Terry
wow Terry, that thing is gorgeous. i got a chub looking at it too.

what kind of wood is that? also, i almost hate to ask, but if you dont mind, what is this beauty setting you back? i have no idea what a true custom rifle costs, so any info would be appreciated.

i am having my Mauser 98 re-barreled as we speak, and it will also be getting a new stock, bottom metal, and extractor, with the lugs lapped, and the boltface trued up a bit.

i cant wait, but my baby wont be anywhere near as nice as yours.
Ironeagle, that's a piece of Turkish walnut. I bought it straight from the source. Ali-Ekber Denli is a dealer in Turkey and sales direct to the public. At one time I think he had some of the worlds most beautiful wood. As of late I haven't seen much on his website that stirs me.

As for the price, I started adding it up one day and stopped about half way though it. It's just something I prefer not to think about. Keep in mind though this has been about a 3 year project and the price has been spread out over time which certainly eases the pain.

Terry
TC

I would be interested in your thoughts about choosing an open grip for your rifle. Do you generally prefer the open grip on all of your rifles? Or do you go back and forth between using rifles with open grips and closed grips without really thinking about it.

The open grip stock really looks, for lack of a better word, "racy", or "fast". Makes the whole thing look slim and trim.

But I have noticed when I have shouldered rifles with very open grips that I have to consciously raise my right elbow much higher than normal in order to have a comfortable grip on the stock.

I don't know if different body shapes or arm lengths make it easier (or less easy) to shoot that type of rifle, or if its just second nature for some folks to grip the rifle in the way one needs to grip an open rifle.

I think it would be interesting to hear how you went about making that choice.

Kevin
Kevin, what works for me and always' has is an open grip with a lot of drop in the heal. This is contrary to what is accepted as "right" by today's standards. I find this configuration points more naturally, comes to the target faster and recoils less than most of the modern style stocks today. My face still rests on the stock, just in a higher position. An open grip is designed so you don't have to change your hand position from draw to shoulder which I really like. If you've looked at most (not all) of the guns I've done over the past few years you'll see most conform to this configuration. The only draw back I've found is they aren't as comfortable to shoot from a bench position which seems to be the way most stocks are judged these day's. I never hunt from a bench, so needless to say.....

Keep in mind though, what is right for me isn't right for everybody else.

Terry
Okay, we need our new update, it's been over a month now........................ wink
Terry: The rifle will be a real killer,and about what I would expect to see you put together...really too nice and too slick!Good luck with it.

22WRF's comments on the opn grip and your response are interesting.The open grip forcing the right elbow higher also results in a "pocket" being formed in the shooters'shoulder that will provide a bit more contact for the butt of the stock and control of the rifle from off-hand..The downslope of the stock also helps more of the butt come in contact with the shoulder.

Not surprised the stock pattern came off a Brit rifle;they knew and understood "game shooting" from field positions,fast handling and quick,natural pointing, as opposed to the tight grips and sometimes "too straight" combs for the bench and rest shooting done today.Entirely too much group-squeezing from bench rests out there today grin
Not really a whole to report right now. James say's the wood's workability isn't up to it's looks and it's slow going right now. He said he isn't getting that nice curl when he scraps it and it's a little chippy. A good stock maker can overcome this but it takes a little more time.

Hopefully he'll send some pictures soon.

Terry

I can certainly second James' craftmanship. My "Anderson double bridge mini-Mauser" .223 AI was on safari in SD two weekends ago and I can tell you the PDs were not safe at 500 yds if I did my part.
Originally Posted by BobinNH

Not surprised the stock pattern came off a Brit rifle;they knew and understood "game shooting" from field positions,fast handling and quick,natural pointing, as opposed to the tight grips and sometimes "too straight" combs for the bench and rest shooting done today.Entirely too much group-squeezing from bench rests out there today grin

Amen!

Goodnews, I'm glad to hear that rifle is a winner.

Terry
I got an email with this in it. The stock is fully inletted and the new bolt handle welded in. The stock still isn't shaped but you can get an idea of what it's going to look like finished.

Terry

[Linked Image]
Wow.
just wow
Interesting duplicator, more info on it??
That duplicator was designed and made by James Anderson. I've finished one stock off of it and it's simply amazing how accurate it is.

Terry
Weekly update needed.............
Nothing good to report.

Terry
Originally Posted by TC1
Nothing good to report.

Terry

Hopefully nothing bad, either.

TC; you truly have some magnificent projects going on right now. Thank you for sharing them, but I can see right now they will cost me dearly later. And, yes, I did read that other PM a while back. I'm still trying to figure out how to respond...... shocked
TC1;

Over 2 months now.............

What's new?
Hey cousin VAnimrod grin

Well, went back to Shanes for a little tweak but there was some miscommunication so it got shelved for a few weeks. It's back at James now and he's gone back to work on it. We've decided to get it a shot of alklyne root stain. Nothing major, just enought to tint the amber a little.

James should have the first sealer coat on this week. He said he'll be sending more pictures soon.

Terry
Cousin, you realize you're going to end up costing me (and likely a few others) a right smart amount of $$$$$, right?

wink smile

Can't wait to see the pics............
Threads like this almost make me happy I'm only an E-5.

I don't have to worry about trying to afford something so gorgeous, cause it's just way out in the ether beyond what's feasible. (grin)

Although my enlistment is ending soon, and them thar gubmint contractor jobs sure do pay well....
These just came in! Forend tip shapped, Left side contoured and the 1st coat of finish applied!
[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Terry
Damn.
TCI, maybe I didnt catch it but what do you expect the finished weight to be?
Oh, I don't know. Maybe 6-6 1/2lbs. Weight wasn't a concern but being so small it's going to be light. I'll weigh it when it comes home.

Terry
When the stock turns out like that I'm sure the $$$ spent on the wood seem well worthwhile. Veeerrry nice.

cheers,
- stu
Wow...................
I got a few more. They are out of sequience but here they are anyway.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
thats right purdy; i consider a stock like that a piece of art and should be used and enjoyed. i hope you hunt with it and enjoy it, not lock it away and be afraid to scratch it. i have several and hunt with them and they look better with age. enjoy
This will most likely be the most beautiful rifle I'll ever own. That had a lot to do with why I picked the caliber I did. I figure a man could call coyotes all year with this and even put a little meat in the freezer during deer season.

I think they look a little nicer with some use on them.

Terry
Terry,

If you need help makin' it look a little nicer, just let me know. smile
A little update.

The sanding is done and the finishing is nearing completion. The checkering will start soon and after that it's off to the engraver. Roger Kehr will be engraving this rifle for me. I've got a few ideas but want to wait untill he has the rifle in hand before anything is set in stone.

After that James will get the rifle back for rust bluing and then it's finished!

I can't say enough about the wonderful craftsmen I've had the pleasure to work with on this project.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Terry

Wow, that looks great. Congrats.
I really love the stock Terry. Seems like a bit more drop than I would like, but I still love it. Can't wait to see the finished product.
The reddish tint really brought that stock to life.
Terry I have to say that is one of the most beautiful rifles I've seen. The stock is great. Lots of figure, but not overdone. The stain really is what it's all about. Perfect tinting for my eyes. Can't wait to see it finished.

David
There is no doubt about it. This will be the nicest rifle I'll ever own.

Terry
Originally Posted by Scorpion
Damn.

Yeah.....Damn...

Veddy Cooool... cool

Impressive...Big Time...

Ingwe
Damn is right..this is WAY up the COOL pole!!
I sure hope you are a nice guy! because nice guys share!!
Beeyootiful! Just begs to be taken hunting.
Originally Posted by TC1
A little update.

The sanding is done and the finishing is nearing completion. The checkering will start soon and after that it's off to the engraver. Roger Kehr will be engraving this rifle for me. I've got a few ideas but want to wait untill he has the rifle in hand before anything is set in stone.

After that James will get the rifle back for rust bluing and then it's finished!

I can't say enough about the wonderful craftsmen I've had the pleasure to work with on this project.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Terry

Terry,

That is simply stunning! A work of highly functional art.
sweet!
that one nice mini.
i haven't done anything with the hornet project yet but i have started on a .223 mini.
its still very rough right now & i'm trying to do as much of the work as possible myself.
i'm reshaping the original stock to use as a pattern for the duplicator. i added a lot of drop & a little cast off. i may take a little bit of the drop out when the sights are added. i still have a lot of shaping left to do.
i cut the triggerguard in half right in front of the bow & raised the bow .150" then built a new front section for the trigger bow. that gave it the appearance of a drop box. i still need to cut the slot for the in the bow release & rework the back of the floorplate into a straddle.
a sako trigger fits the contour of the bow like it was made for it. i'm still debating on the safety, i have a dakota shroud but i might do a tang safety.
for sights i'm going to used banded front & banded rear one standing, one folding. the rear bridge will also get cut for a stripper clip & a single rear square bridge will be added.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
That is one hell of a drop at the heel!!!
it will be perfect when he gets the iron sights on it!

Ted
Originally Posted by TC1
There is no doubt about it. This will be the nicest rifle I'll ever own.

Terry

that Mexican Mauser you have is petty close to being as nice!!!
I just can't take it anymore. I have been following this thread since it was first posted. So I went out and did it. I just got a remington 799 in 22-250 and i have one in .222 rem. on order. I have always liked the mini mausers and have wanted to get one but after seeing this little gun and how nice it has turned out so far I'm going to have to give it a whrill. I know they wont turn out as nice as Terrys but I will have fun tring to get them there. I was thinking at first a .250 savage on the first one with the .473 bolt face but dont think it will fit. I think it is too long. What do yall think about a .308 x 1.5" Do yall think this little action can handle it?? I think I will leave the .222 a .222 for atleast a little while. Even tho I have a pretty neat little custom .222 already. How do these remingtons shoot in factory condition??

I just have to say that Terrys rifle here is one of the nicest well thought out handy looking rifles I think I have seen so far. A true beauty. If it is this outstanding looking and it is not even finished yet, wow. I cant wait to see it all finished.

Donny
The .250 Savage should fit just fine. Might as well AI it, while you're at it.

Punch the .222 to .223AI or .22-204.
Heres pics of my .222 rem I have already, just for fun. It is a 98 large ring mauser that has been cut down and welded back, just long enough for the .222 round. I guess this is what people did before the mini mausers were around. I still need to checker the stock and I have been wanting to change the bolt handle. It has some pretty decent looking english walnut.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Lovely!
Originally Posted by Smiley882
Heres pics of my .222 rem I have already, just for fun. It is a 98 large ring mauser that has been cut down and welded back, just long enough for the .222 round. I guess this is what people did before the mini mausers were around. I still need to checker the stock and I have been wanting to change the bolt handle. It has some pretty decent looking english walnut.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Very, very nice!
Originally Posted by Yukoner
Lovely!

That IS nice!

Smiley882, I like that!

Terry
Who did the action work, smiley? That is a mighty nice rifle. Another nice round is the .25 Whitetail, a 7.62x39 necked down and blown out a bit. My favorite local gunshop has the reamer. Would be real nice on a mini-Mauser. Just a rebarrel away. Ballistics similar to the .250-3000.
Smiley882, i remember that rifle from gunbroker about a year or so ago & i still kick myself for not testing your wallet on it.
very nice rifle & one of the few that i regret not buying when i had the chance
I dont know. I got this one off gunbroker a few years ago. I wish I knew more about it. Who ever did it, did a really nice job. It has a blind type magazine and the boltface was welded and recut and it has a sako type extracter. the barrel is a j p sauer and sons mauser that has been bored and re sleeved. 1/4 octagon with a full length rib. shoots nice.
I got lucky on this one. If you would have tested my wallet, you you have got it. i bid my max that I could spend and didnt look at it again. No one else put a higher bid. I got it for what I think was a good price.
Smiley882, dang very nice. Now thats a custom I enjoyed today.
you got it for a good price, i had something come up that caused me to have to back off on it or i would have tested your wallet.
dont see many cat centerpieces anymore

...well, 'round here anyhow laugh
Do we have an update on TC1's rifle, I have been watching since the beginning?
Terry will have to answer, but I think it is off to the engraver.
Butch
Yeah, it went to Roger Kehr this week for engraving. Roger will will stipple the quarter rib, mark the rear sight, letter the barrel and put a few tasteful scroll patterns on it.

The project has gotten a little behind schedule but it's still on the tracks.

Terry
How many years Terry?
Butch
Almost 4 now crazy

Terry
I can't wait to see this thing, it's gonna be sweet!
Update:

Well, everything is built and now it's all being scratched up! crazy

All the metal work is over at Roger Kehr's getting a nice engraving job and James Anderson is almost finished with a 1st class cherkering job. James has gone far beyound the call of duty on this rifle and it really shows. He's listened to me when I've told him what I was looking for, made a lot of suggestions about the project that have made it better and made the exact rifle I had in mind, only better.

The checkering pattern is borrowed from an old W.J. Jeffery stalking rifle which this whole rifle is roughly based off of.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I might be able to get a picture or two from Roger soon.

Terry
Terry, that's a damn nice stick of firewood to be using for a rifle stock. wink Nice job by all involved. Especially your concept on this thing. Can't wait to see it all together. I'm sure you feel the same.

David
Terry,

Thanks for sharing. It looks to be one fantastic rifle. I can't wait to see the final product.
shane does excellent work. I have seen a lot of his stuff in our part of the world, and its all good.
He does Ray, but I probably wouldn't live to see him finish anything I sent him.
Butch
Fabulous rifle. Expertly executed.
Butch,

Either I'm really slow or you're really old! grin

Shane Thompson
Shane,
Maybe a little of both.
Butch
Butch,

I thought you were a young guy?

I have two jobs, four kids and the two oldest are in every kind of sport you can imagine, and the younger ones will be shortly, so I don't even profess to be speedy anymore. I spend more time in a gym than I do at home crazy.

I've narrowed down the workload to duplication jobs, barrels, triggers, muzzle brakes, and an occasional complete custom for the time being, but the kids/family are first.

I'm just funnin ya anyway, I don't even have time to get on the computer much anymore but I've been layed up with a torn achilles tendon for a couple of months so I'm a little bored.

Glad to see the project is coming along nicely.

Cheers,
Shane
Gosh....
Welcome to the 'Fire, Shane. smile

Ted
I got some neat pictures from Roger Kehr. All the stipple work and lettering is done. The scroll work starts next week. I couldn't be happier with it. Roger is a true artist.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Terry
Stunning.... simply stunning.
finished gripcap.

[Linked Image]
I'll take it!!....Man.."rifle porn" first thing in the morning!
WOW!!! That's definitely a family heirloom to be proud of.
Awesome in every respect.

I really think the idea to do the thumb cut is excellent and really helps this stand out from the crowd!

It just looks perfect.

Going to be hard to top this rifle!

John

Wow Terry! All I can say is Wow!

ddj
My favorite rifle on the forum, hands down!
What did the stock work(minus the blank) end up costing you? Trying to sort through some walnut I have right now and see if I have a nice
piece big enough for a mini Mauser action. Don't really know how wide and long it needs to be in the blank stage. Most are shotgun butts and fore ends. But I have a couple that may make the cut for a mini Mauser size build.
I have a couple of the other pieces promised to other member here and am shipping em this week. After that I'll be sending some
to stockmakers.
Also what is the max size cartridge that a mini Mauser will accept

Thanks

JB

Thanks
do i know the guy you are sending the blanks to Palmetto? grin
Yes sir, you do!!!
glad to hear it. hope you are well sir.
My wife has a "off-shore" account..
could I send you a blank check?
What size piece are you looking for? Very little full length one piec rifle stock stuff. All look like they were for shotgun use o/u's and s x s's. Some would work fine for ruger number 1's maybe or lever guns. Pitol grips and knife scales would be fine too.
Was told it was "claro" and some "french". no idea where it came from other than a 92 year old friend of mine's gargage that was/is a trap skeet fanatic.
Roger is an amazing artist.

Roger sent some pictures of the floormetal yesterday. I was speechless for awhile. This thing is going to have a look to it.
[Linked Image]

Terry
Unbelievable.
speechless is right.
Terry,

That thing just keeps getting more spectacular. I doubt I could afford the photo shoot it's gonna take to do that rifle justice. smile

I'm not sure I'm going to able to either. I've been approched about it already.

Terry
I got the last pictures from Roger today. What can I say? I knew when I called him I was going to get a nice engraving job, but I would have never imagined the results.

This is going to be a beautiful rifle.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Terry
WOW.
I'm gonna drive to Texas, just to handle that rifle in person...
Originally Posted by VAnimrod

Sean....I'll meet you there..... grin

Ingwe
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by VAnimrod

Sean....I'll meet you there..... grin

Ingwe

I'm in Sweden and can't get there, so please fondle on my behalf (the rifle, not VAnimrod!) wink

John

10-4! laugh

Ingwe
BTW - Cousin Terry.... I am SO in the will to get that one when you're done with it. Dibs...
Cousin...?

Hell, I am his brother...

Having DNA tests done right now...... whistle

Ingwe
Drive to Texas? Terry, I didn't know you were leaving Mississippi to come visit me.
Ken Hurst finished my engraving and mailed mine yesterday. Jrgunmaker better get busy.
Butch
I'm coming too...needed to make a beer run anyway!!

Well, I live in Mississippi. But if we're going to Texas lets all meet up at Butches for lunch. I bet his wife won't mind too much grin

Terry
I can hardly wait to see this shootin iron all put together !
The components are stunning. A LOT of thought has gone into this rifle.
Originally Posted by TC1
Well, I live in Mississippi. But if we're going to Texas lets all meet up at Butches for lunch. I bet his wife won't mind too much grin

Terry

Wherever...

Beautiful work!
TC1:

Beautiful rifle, and beautiful engraving.

I am assuming that the bottom metal is just the normal steel that is used for bottom in most Mauser and other rifles. Except for aluminum.

I have always wondered how what was put on engraved surfaces, when they were left bright, to prevent rust from forming.

Does your floorplate, trigger guard, quarter rib and other engrageved surfaces have any type of protective coating, or is is just bare metal?
What you see in the pictures is just bare metal with no protection. The next step for this rifle will be to rust blue all the metal. That'll protect it for the next 100 years or so.

I'm not sure what type steel it is. JRgunmaker who posts here made that trigger guard from a block of steel. Maybe he'll chime in.

Terry
Okay, Thanks.

I have seen some engraved rifles and shotguns, many with sideplates, left shiney. Do you know how they prevent rust on those.
Some have a form of rust blue? that is called French grey. Something about removing the blue color of the rust blue and leaving a brushed natural metal finish.
Butch
These will probably be the last one's before the rifle is finished. Small parts are off being nitre blued and the rust bluing will start soon.

The photography is by James Anderson.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Terry
Very nice!
Terry,
That sure is a keeper. I like the shape that you picked out for the stock. That is just a beautiful rifle. I think you are like our Bud,Forrest, you have a very good eye for putting a classic rifle together.
Butch
Terry,
that is a gorgeous rifle to say the least. Shane did an incredible job in every aspect. I bet you are chomping at the bit to get it in your hands!!! Thanks so much for sharing.
Bill
Bill
The Barrel, front site, barrel swivel, Q-rib, action detailing, scope mounts, were all done by Shane. They look Great.

I did the rest, minus engraving & nitre blue small parts.
Bolt handle, safety, floor metal, custom trigger, grip cap, stock and soon to be rust blued all done here in SDakota!
WOW! What a piece! Looking forward to seeing the completed rifle, but it is already stunning and then some.
Yeah, I titled this thread a LONG time ago. I wish I could go back and edit it.

What you see above is a combined effort of two superb gunsmiths. James Anderson and Shane Thompson.

Bill, I haven't been sleeping well for awhile now. I think about this rifle too much. Can't wait to do a little calling with the rifle in hand.

Terry
Does Obama know you have that??
Dude...they goin' to TAX that thing!!

Ok,so you need my address? phone number? Do you take checks?
I'm calling dibs now....
Nice work - James
James,
As usual your work is exceptional. I consider myself very privelaged to have my M70 that you did the work on. Conradulations for such an amazing job.

Terry,
you are fortunate to have had two of the very best craftsmen in the business build your rifle for you. You are going to have an amzing rifle that will no doubt shoot as well as it looks!!!!!!
that rifle needs some blood on it... JMHO... wink
That's the best looking piece of wood I have seen in a long, long time!

I like the way you've told/allowed the producers to put their names on it, that is classy!

Mike
Ooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Need a paper sack, I'm hyperventilating.
Hey TC1!

Great looking work, are you CG TC1? I am retired TC1 from NOJ? Love the rifle, my question is who will be first to start making one of these little buggers (Ruger No.3) into a "Objet d` Art" ?

I think your project needs a stablemate like the little No.3
shown below the box stock model above.

[Linked Image]

Maybe like this P0rN
[Linked Image]

I only have one question after all this? Why is "Mini" not priced proportionately?

Jerry Honeycutt, TC1, Retired USCG (2001)
Terry[TC1], I talked to James today. We are waiting on the scope rings from the engraver and mine will be right behind yours. Said he was done with yours, but it looked so good that he is going to admire it a week or 2 before he ships.
Butch
Gorgeous!
Originally Posted by Tractorshaft

[Linked Image]

Jerry Honeycutt, TC1, Retired USCG (2001)

Sweet! I love the forend! Many modern rifles have rather fat, long forends -- the one in the picture reminds me of the short graceful forend on some Farquharson rifles.

John
Could anybody tell me if the bolt handle on the original one is machined from one pice with the bolt?

Or is it welded on from the factory?

Also, I have great news that Duane Wiebe is making bottom metall for these actions now! He has made the prototype.. I got a e-mail last night conferming it.
An old thread, but worth tagging for monthly lust......
Here are a few more. Shane and James did an amazing job on this rifle. It made the cover of ACGG's Gunmaker magazine last year with a really nice write up about it.

[Linked Image]

It was also named "Miss June" in the 2012 calender on sale at Brownells. cool
[Linked Image]

This was just a neato project and I can't say thank you enough to Shane Thompson, James Anderson and Roger Kehr for allowing me to share it's progress with you guy's from start to finish.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Terry
Just damn!

There is another one for the future build list!
Have you fired it Terry?
Oh yeah, it's been to the range a few times now. I can manage 1" groups with the little 2.5 power scope. I'm sure it has more in it. I poked a doe it this year too grin. I wanted to hunt it more but I didn't get to go much myself.
Sweet, its a beautiful rifle.
Perfection!!
Originally Posted by TC1
Oh yeah, it's been to the range a few times now. I can manage 1" groups with the little 2.5 power scope. I'm sure it has more in it. I poked a doe it this year too grin. I wanted to hunt it more but I didn't get to go much myself.

That is really cool.

Travis
Amazing craftsmanship!
Every time I see that rifle it makes me break the commandment about coveting
Originally Posted by pacecars
Every time I see that rifle it makes me break the commandment about coveting

You too huh? Has to be the all over best of the best in my book and the build essay and pics has top spot in my favourites folder. Terry's vision and the associated wood and metal artists who bought it into being have raised the bar for all.

Von Gruff.
Wow! I just ran through this thread. What an incredible project. That is one of the most beautiful works of art I've ever seen.
Sweet lord almighty....

I gotta send this back to the top.

I got the fever bad for a classic mini Mauser.
that rifle is so sweet need to hit the lottery!
Simply outstanding
WOW !!!!! Beautiful rifle....
© 24hourcampfire