Home
Just finished painting one I thought ya'll might enjoy. I like quiet guns. A buddy of mine did a suppressed Ruger that impressed me. Being a Remington guy I set out to do a similar project.

To that end I found a remington 788 in 44 mag. I already had a supressor to fit so off to my 'smithfor a chop and thread. Then picked up and LVSF stock here and "modified" it to fit a 788 action, redid the tip and bedded it.

With the stock complete I sandblasted the action in preparation for the finish. Order some stencils and using some colors I had on hand well , voila. It is wearig a weaver K3 I picked up on here with the finish already stripped.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Now it's time to test it. ;D

Pmc

I think I could have fun with that.
Be careful of posting that, unless you have the permits, never know who is watching.
Oh, he has the permits...... and is a DAMNED bad influence on the rest of us in tempting us to get them as well.....
Agreed! My wife wants him BANNED from this sight.... or me.... smile
VERY cool toy there. Gotta get me one! Superb theme on the paint.
Originally Posted by safariman
Agreed! My wife wants him BANNED from this sight.... or me.... smile

Yours, too, huh? wink
That gun is beyond ugly. Its not worth more comments.
I love classic rifles with nice checkered wood and polished blued steel. All of my rifles,including my model 99, except my AR are in the classic/wood/blue model but, Like My AR15, this rifles beauty is in its overall intent and pure function. Stealth hunting and shooting at its epoch in many respects. My .02, Peace out!
I kind f figured the some wouldn't like it. To each is his own. But I gotta tell ya. For suburban environments it's the way of the future wink I'll post some video next week so you can "not" hear what you've been missing laugh

Pmc
Is it just my eyes, or did the glass on the scope get the full treatment as well. It does look kinda cool, though.

Roy
Nice, i like it muchly cool
Originally Posted by RDFinn
Is it just my eyes, or did the glass on the scope get the full treatment as well. It does look kinda cool, though.

Roy

No, I just hadn't pulled the tape off the lenses. I have one more clear coat to do. Good catch.

Pmc
Cool rig! You need to post a video shooting it with the can on and off.
Neat rig!
Not something I would do, but I sorta like it. Pure functionality.
Being a fan of the Rem 788, I am always on the lookout for them. Although I know that it was cataloged, I have never seen a 788 in .44 mag before. This on-line post is the closest to seeing one I have ever gotten.

PMC,

If my experience is any indication, you have one rare rifle. As most know, 788's are known to be great shooters in the more common chamberings. I am very curious as to how the .44 mag shoots. Please post your results.
Originally Posted by Savage_99
That gun is beyond ugly. Its not worth more comments.

Most of your szchit leaves a lot to be desired in terms of tripping my trigger also. To each his own.

I can dig it.
I gotta ask, why pick such a low powered scope for this setup?

Terry
All shots will be under 100 yards and most under 50, in thick brushy spots.

Carbon12 - This was the first one I had seen. The stock had been cut down. I will for sure post results.

Pmc
Originally Posted by PMC
All shots will be under 100 yards and most under 50, in thick brushy spots.

Carbon12 - This was the first one I had seen. The stock had been cut down. I will for sure post results.

Pmc

OK, sneaky and fast. Almost doesn't seem fair, almost..... grin

Terry
Wait 'til you don't hear it laugh

Pmc
Yep, got a few cans myself. Lots of fun.

Terry

PMC:

That rifle is way cool. I can see a possible problem if you set it down someplace and step away too far. smile

- Tom
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
Oh, he has the permits...... and is a DAMNED bad influence on the rest of us in tempting us to get them as well.....

ditto

awesome pat

cant wait till i get to shoot it
Sorry, but ......... YUK! sick

I'd love to find a 788 in 44mag, but not like that. smile
neat rifle, one day i'll try a similar project in 45acp on a shortened mauser action. i have 2.5x & 3x scopes on 5 or 6 rifles & like them very much for 100yard & under shots. i've also noticed with fine crosshairs on a 2.5x scope from the bench at 100 yards if use the nra small bore rifle targets the crosshars will just cover the bull. so when the bull dissapears your dead on
Is a canned rifle quieter than one shooting simple subsonic loads?
very much so.

Pmc
Was looking up something and found this old post. I put that gun to work this year. I almost exclusively hunt suburban deer. The 2 places I focused on this year were a 40 acre tract and the 10 acres where I live.

2 days before the end of the season, hunting with this gun this deer walked out at 35 yards. He twisted his head around and presented the perfect neck shot. DRT taking out spinal column and entering the skull.
[Linked Image]

240 gr hollowpoint at 900 fps.

Pmc

Very Cool.

Me need a suppressor.

BMT
What?
It is not cool. It is WAY VERY VERY COOL! Nice execution of a great concept. Me likey 44 mag's. Any chance of a linky to a sound signature? Thanks in advance.

Be safe

Patty
Here's a video of that gun and a couple of others.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hq0N1LD937A

Pmc
© 24hourcampfire