Home
Posted By: PaHuntin .35 Caliber Project - 08/04/09
I am looking to start a new rifle project. I want it to be a .35 caliber. The calibers I am considering are the .358 STA, .35-.300 RUM or .35-.338 RUM, and .35-.300 WSM (Sambar).

So my question is I am looking for some people with experience in any of these rounds and could give me some feedback and possibly some ballistics. If you have had experience with any of these rounds how did you go about your rifle build?

Any feedback or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Posted By: 338rcm Re: .35 Caliber Project - 08/04/09
358 norma mag would be my choice
Posted By: SuperCub Re: .35 Caliber Project - 08/04/09
A 350 G&H would be a cool cartridge. It's a 375 H&H case necked down to 35cal with no other changes.

Posted By: hunter8mm Re: .35 Caliber Project - 08/04/09
pahunter i have a 358 norma magnum i like it alot i am going to use it in pa for deer this year with a 250gr partition and a max charge of imr 4350
Posted By: HawkI Re: .35 Caliber Project - 08/04/09
Originally Posted by SuperCub
A 350 G&H would be a cool cartridge. It's a 375 H&H case necked down to 35cal with no other changes.

Seriously considering that one...
Posted By: Steelhead Re: .35 Caliber Project - 08/04/09
Humm
Pac-Nor doesn't list it, but dies and headstamped cases exist.

My local smith will do a SS Shilen and have a reamer cut from PTG for about what Pac-Nor gets.

Just gotta get the vise/wrench pieces and I'm set.

You try out your C-H dies yet?
Originally Posted by SuperCub

Big time!

Dober
The 358 STA would be my choice (no experience with any) from your list. The 250 Partition at a flat 3,000 is what the 340 Wtby. was aiming for.

The RUM's and that case does not float my boat for cost, quality or velocity gain/powder usage. The Basic full length HH has darn near a 100 years of no flies.

With the 225 TSX it would be magic.

Can't see needing one, but want is enough!
Posted By: Savage_99 Re: .35 Caliber Project - 08/04/09
Welcome to the forum PaHuntin.

What do you intend to use your new .35 for?

What kind of rifle brand or features do you like now?

Posted By: PaHuntin Re: .35 Caliber Project - 08/04/09
I am leaning towards the .358 STA but just wanted to see what everyone else had to say about the other chamberings. I think the .358 STA is just a pretty awesome caliber. Good for anything in NA. When I do get done I will be working up a load for the 225 gr Barnes TSX.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: .35 Caliber Project - 08/04/09
Yep, so far no problems with the dies. Little rough on the outside but fine inside.
Only place it matters.
Posted By: SuperCub Re: .35 Caliber Project - 08/04/09
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Azshooter Re: .35 Caliber Project - 08/04/09
Some of your choices use a 2.8" long case. They may not fit without some modifications depending on the rifle. Rum cases will have that problem plus feeding/fitting past some feed rails unless you start with a RUM action.

What about taking the 375 Ruger and necking it down? Rick made something similar to what you want, a 338/375 Ruger. He named it the 338-375 Campfire. In case you haven't seen it, you can read extensively on his project here:
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...k_Rick_Bin_Questions_About_t#Post1948586

The shorter case would fit more actions and would equal the 358 STA.

Posted By: STA Re: .35 Caliber Project - 08/04/09
Originally Posted by PaHuntin
I am leaning towards the .358 STA but just wanted to see what everyone else had to say about the other chamberings. I think the .358 STA is just a pretty awesome caliber. Good for anything in NA. When I do get done I will be working up a load for the 225 gr Barnes TSX.

If you go with the 225TSX a good place to start is 88gr of RL19 and work up. My rifle shoots 91gr of RL19 the best at 3100+fps and is MAX at 93gr of RL19 @ 3200fps....

A good barrel twist IMO is 1:14 for the big 35's.....
Here is mine its a Rem 700 action, Shilen #4 1:14 twist barrel, McMillan stock.

[Linked Image]

This is 280gr Swift AFrame with 85gr of H4831sc at 100yds..

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Posted By: Greyghost Re: .35 Caliber Project - 08/04/09
PA,

I have 2 heavy 35's in the works right now, the one Redneck is building for me is a Stainless Classic M70 .358 STA with a #5 Lija barrel in a McMillan supper grade stock. The other is one I've worked up myself using a .404 Jeffery's case leaving the case head alone and blowing out just a little longer and slightly less taper than a RUM, no magnum belt and the shoulder is also different. This one has gotten pretty expensive so far but is now in the hands of Art over at A-Square going to be built as one of their Hannibal rifles. grin

Phil
Posted By: SKane Re: .35 Caliber Project - 08/04/09
Randy-

Just looking at that rig makes my shoulder and upper right molars ache.... grin grin
Scott, its just like shooting a 22LR....... whistle
Posted By: PaHuntin Re: .35 Caliber Project - 08/04/09
STA,

What is the recoil like with your rig? I have been debating on putting a muzzle brake on or not.. I think I am going to have a muzzle brake put on and also had a blank made so I can remove the brake and thread the blank on. That way I can use the brake when on the bench and the blank while hunting..
No BS the recoil is "BAD" lets say after I fireform about 15 rounds of brass that all I can do and my arm is numb for 2 to 3 days.......

Not a fan of the muzzle break as the rifle had one and I had it cut off...and yes the break did help.....

If you dont load it full nuts its not to bad to shoot....

Posted By: BCSteve Re: .35 Caliber Project - 08/05/09
Originally Posted by Azshooter

What about taking the 375 Ruger and necking it down? The shorter case would fit more actions and would equal the 358 STA.

That's what I would do.
Posted By: safariman Re: .35 Caliber Project - 08/05/09
Originally Posted by PaHuntin
STA,

What is the recoil like with your rig? I have been debating on putting a muzzle brake on or not.. I think I am going to have a muzzle brake put on and also had a blank made so I can remove the brake and thread the blank on. That way I can use the brake when on the bench and the blank while hunting..

I have had three rifles with muzzle brakes and will not ever have another. TOO hard on everyone's ears. Yes, they ARE painful even when shooting at game.

I have a similar caliber in an 8mmRemmag necked up to 338 and I shoot Barnes 225gr TTSX's at 3200fps so the recoil of my rifle and your 358STA should be similar. I find my rifle pretty easy to shoot but this is because 1) it is not a featherweight 2) I have a semi custom stock that fits me well 3) I have a limbsaver recoil pad on it and 4) I have a scope that has plenty of eye relief which will not likely ever come in contact with my forehead, nose or eyebrow. (My scope is a Burris Euro Diamaond posi lock 2-10) Set up this way it is, to me anyway, pretty comfortable to shoot and it IS a wicked killer of all manner of big game.
Posted By: rflshtr Re: .35 Caliber Project - 08/06/09
I have a Win 70 Classic that started out as a 7mm STW and has been rebarrelled to a .358 STA with a 24" Douglas 1 in 12 twist. It sits in a McMillan stock with a Decellerator pad and has a 1.75X6E Leupold in super low dual dovetail rings. It weighs 8# 3 oz unloaded without sling. I don't find that the recoil is too bad. Much less than my former Ruger #1 in .338 Win Mag which left me numb for a few days. I also will not put a muzzlebrake on a rifle after shooting nearby to a friend who has one on a smaller caliber rifle. He has to shoot that one alone since everybody hates being around it.BTW, I started using .375 H&H brass and necking down and fireforming for my .358 STA. Have also used 8mm Rem Mag brass but prefer necking down over expanding up. Has anybody used Retumbo in their .358 STA?
I would opt for the 35/338 Win., that case is about the best designed and well balanced case I know of unless your a beltless fan, in which case I would opt for the 375 Ruger case necked down to 35 caliber. I think it has a world of potential.
Posted By: Cowboybart Re: .35 Caliber Project - 08/08/09
I have a 358 Norma on a 700 action. Recoil is almost pleasent. It is gentler than my 300 Wby and a friends 338 Win.
I am a 35 cal fan, but be aware you are handicapping yourself with bullet selection. The big manufactures stop at 250gr bullets. You have to go with North Fork, Woodleigh... for stuff heavier than 250.

If I did it all over again I would go with a 35 Newton cool
Posted By: SuperCub Re: .35 Caliber Project - 08/08/09
Originally Posted by Cowboybart
I am a 35 cal fan, but be aware you are handicapping yourself with bullet selection. The big manufactures stop at 250gr bullets.

250gr is lots for hunting in NA. If you need more, buy a 375.

Posted By: WhelenAway Re: .35 Caliber Project - 08/08/09

Does anybody know a smith that has a reamer for this?

I have been considering one of these for a while too. I think it would be a pretty user friendly, with plenty of power.

I saw dies once. Regret not buying them, but they were pricey.

_

Posted By: RickF Re: .35 Caliber Project - 08/09/09
Originally Posted by Cowboybart
I am a 35 cal fan, but be aware you are handicapping yourself with bullet selection. The big manufactures stop at 250gr bullets. You have to go with North Fork, Woodleigh... for stuff heavier than 250.

I can't think of anything in North America that couldn't be handled very neatly with a 225TSX. That's what I run in my Norma.
© 24hourcampfire