Home
Posted By: JimBobwsm Good footage 6.5 Wby Mag. - 02/11/10
Thought you guys might enjoy some medium range footage of the 6.5 wby mag. doing what it does best.

http://www.mcwhorterrifles.com/media.html

Posted By: Dawn2Dusk Re: Good footage - 02/11/10
Was that a Savage in 6.5x284?

(accurate rifles come in many names)
Posted By: rc82bttb Re: Good footage - 02/12/10
Anyone have any experience with the 6.5wby? Cool footage.
Posted By: JimBobwsm Re: Good footage - 02/12/10
I have one. Incredibly accurate, no recoil, long range thumper.
Posted By: Brasshound Re: Good footage - 02/12/10
What action did you use?
What kind of accuracy are you achieving?
Posted By: JimBobwsm Re: Good footage - 02/13/10
Originally Posted by Brasshound
What action did you use?

Mine is on a Stiller Action. 140 Bergers at 3300fps. I have shot 1" groups at 400 yards.
Posted By: Fang Re: Good footage - 02/13/10
Do you happen to know if Stiller makes a left-handed action?
Posted By: JimBobwsm Re: Good footage - 02/13/10
Originally Posted by Fang
Do you happen to know if Stiller makes a left-handed action?

Yes. I am a lefty. I have a lefty short and long.
Posted By: Tom264 Re: Good footage 6.5 Wby Mag. - 02/13/10
You can tell he's got a flinch going on when he jerks the trigger.......click!

laugh
Originally Posted by JimBobwsm
What action did you use?

Mine is on a Stiller Action. 140 Bergers at 3300fps. I have shot 1" groups at 400 yards.

Is this with home grown load data, or has it been pressure tested?
Is there free-bore?
What is the actual physical drop at 400 yards?
Have you tested out farther?

Reason for questions, I purchased vanguard 257 W, to build this cat on years ago. Never shoot the donor�. It is nice to see the real world numbers.
Thanks..

What action did you use?

Is this with home grown load data, or has it been pressure tested?
Is there free-bore?
What is the actual physical drop at 400 yards?
Have you tested out farther?

Reason for questions, I purchased vanguard 257 W, to build this cat on years ago. Never shoot the donor�. It is nice to see the real world numbers.
Thanks..

Tim McWhorter's eliminates the free bore. No idea on actual drop but can easily be figured with JBM calculations. Moderate helping of RL 19 produced that velocity. No pressure signs. I killed a deer at 650 with mine this year. Still has 1000ft. lbs of energy at 1000 yards.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Good footage 6.5 Wby Mag. - 02/14/10
What is a 6.5 Weatherby Magnum?
Posted By: Popapi Re: Good footage 6.5 Wby Mag. - 02/14/10
Originally Posted by BobinNH
What is a 6.5 Weatherby Magnum?

http://www.mcwhorterrifles.com/WhatsNew.html

For a long time there has been a gap between Our DEADLY ACCURATE "Pet" Calibers the 257 WBY and the 270 WBY, NOT ANY MORE! The 6.5mm Bullet (.264 diameter) has long been overlooked by hunters. It is one of the most aerodynamic calibers available with BC's well exceeding the .257 and .277 bullets. This Weatherby Case Family has proved to be Deadly accurate--Here is the newest addition to the Family!

6.5 Weatherby Magnum
Features:

- .264 diameter bullet on .257 Wby Case necked up or 270 WBY case necked down to .264 (6.5)
- Built to shoot either 130 or 140 grain bullets , 1in 9" Twist
- Flatter and harder hitting than either the 257 WBY or 270 WBY
- Velocity- 3375 FPS - 130gr. Berger Hunting VLD BC .552! 3275 FPS- 140gr. Berger Hunting VLD BC .595 - Produces nearly 200 more ft-lbs of energy at 600 yards than the 270 WBY with Nosler Accubond, and 3 inches flatter! Has over 1000 ft-lbs left at 1000 yards!
- Light Recoil

We believe this to be THE perfect whitetail rifle with a blend of efficiency and accuracy that will be unsurpassed.

We begin production of these in all lines of Our rifles June 1st. Place your orders today.

Posted By: BobinNH Re: Good footage 6.5 Wby Mag. - 02/14/10
Popapi: Interesting....thanks!
Posted By: 257James Re: Good footage 6.5 Wby Mag. - 02/14/10
Originally Posted by Tom264

laugh

Real bad flinch, he's scared of that rifle!!

Handed my brother an unloaded shotgun while we were shooting clay birds and he almost dropped the shotgun when it went CLICK.....
Originally Posted by 257Deland
Originally Posted by Tom264

laugh

Real bad flinch, he's scrared of that rifle!!

Handed my brother an unloaded shotgun while we were shooting clay birds and he almost dropped the shotgun when it went CLICK.....

Allan shoots more than 2000 times a year. I have seen him shoot countless 1.5" groups at 600 yards. He has killed several deer from a tree stand at 800 plus yards. May appear to be a flinch but I would never put any money against him.
Posted By: pointer Re: Good footage 6.5 Wby Mag. - 02/14/10
Just a question, but if the 6.5 Wby Mag is either the 257 or 270 Weatherby with a different bullet, what does it offer over the 264 Win Mag? Case dimensions are nearly identical for the three. Now, I could see a performance change with the 300 Weatherby case, but not the 257 or 270 versions...
Originally Posted by pointer
Just a question, but if the 6.5 Wby Mag is either the 257 or 270 Weatherby with a different bullet, what does it offer over the 264 Win Mag? Case dimensions are nearly identical for the three. Now, I could see a performance change with the 300 Weatherby case, but not the 257 or 270 versions...
About 100fps. over at 264win mag. The WBY case has just proved to be an incredible accurate case for McWhorter's. 300 necked down would be to0 much overbore and would be a real barrel burner. Tim has build many 264 win mag. and yes they shoot but have proved to me more labor intensive in the load development department.
Posted By: Popapi Re: Good footage 6.5 Wby Mag. - 02/14/10
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Popapi: Interesting....thanks!
wink
Friends-

I am really intrigued, having a bit of a .264 or 6.5mm fetish. Who has been making the reamers for this cartridge?

Would the Weatherby case have a distinct advantage over the .300 Winchester Mag case?

Also, it would seem that Reloader 19 would be a bit "fast" in terms of burn rate for a .264 Weatherby from what I have been able to learn about the .264 Winchester Mag.

More information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Posted By: pointer Re: Good footage 6.5 Wby Mag. - 02/14/10
Originally Posted by pointer
About 100fps. over at 264win mag. The WBY case has just proved to be an incredible accurate case for McWhorter's. 300 necked down would be to0 much overbore and would be a real barrel burner. Tim has build many 264 win mag. and yes they shoot but have proved to me more labor intensive in the load development department.
Other than shoulder angle/shape, what's different about the Weatherby case that allows for 100 more fps? Not trying to tinkle in anyone's Cheerios, just not seeing the how/why when the case dimensions look so terribly similiar.

Chrono doesn't lie. If you need more info, please call Allan at McWhorter rifles. He can provide all the load data.

Posted By: toad Re: Good footage 6.5 Wby Mag. - 02/15/10
that is pretty much just .264 Win velocities from .264 Win case displacement loaded to high pressures. just another way of getting there. nothing wrong with that, but the laws of physics still apply.

at those speeds, a good bullet like the 142 SMK will get you from 100 yards to 1K with about 20 MOA elevation dialed in, depending on local conditions.

but my delivery system is the .264 Win.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Good footage 6.5 Wby Mag. - 02/15/10
Ain't none of those shots even close to impressive but thats just me.

As to the flinch, I think you'll find that the eye blink, which is about all I could see, is a natural reflex. I'm pretty sure I do it too, and I shot a LOT more than a mere 2000 rounds a year.
Posted By: pointer Re: Good footage 6.5 Wby Mag. - 02/15/10
Originally Posted by toad
that is pretty much just .264 Win velocities from .264 Win case displacement loaded to high pressures. just another way of getting there. nothing wrong with that, but the laws of physics still apply.

at those speeds, a good bullet like the 142 SMK will get you from 100 yards to 1K with about 20 MOA elevation dialed in, depending on local conditions.

but my delivery system is the .264 Win.
That's sorta whay I was thinking, but just wanted to make sure. I am far from experienced compared to many here in relation to gack... wink Though I do appreciate learning from the other folks here and I have to have about the most dog eared copy of COTW.
© 24hourcampfire