Home
Looking to put a lightweight bolt shroud on my Remington 700 Classic.

What are the options? pros and cons of each?

Anybody have one for sale?
Why? Are you replacing a j-lock? If so, you'll want the whole firing pin assembly. I like the Holland I used on mine. I've also heard good about the callahan. Most of the high speed replacements are good, and a whole lot better than the j-lock. Otherwise, if it's just for weight or looks, I couldn't tell ya.
I have the Callahan lightweight one in two rifles. It works well and is easily available from MidwayUSA.

Gre-tan is good also. You can buy them from Brownell's.

I have a Pierce Engineering firing pin assembly in mine and I'm satisfied.
Just looking for weight reduction at a reasonable price. No wart removal needed.
Originally Posted by JasonF
I have the Callahan lightweight one in two rifles. It works well and is easily available from MidwayUSA.
+1 they say about 60% lighter too.

I got em.
I've got 4 of the Pacific Tool and Gauge ones. I think they actually make them for several other brand names. Very good, very light.
Any for sale?
On the Callahan, anyone ever try their Speedlock version?? Supposed to weigh even less and quicker locktime, thats what they say anyway not sure I could tell but the lighter weight might be interesting I suppose.
SIDE QUESTION:

What's the expected weight savings?
Originally Posted by Oregonmuley
On the Callahan, anyone ever try their Speedlock version?? Supposed to weigh even less and quicker locktime, thats what they say anyway not sure I could tell but the lighter weight might be interesting I suppose.

I have the speedlock ones. I haven't weighed them to compare with the standard Remington assembly, but the difference is noticeable in the hand. I did some (not particularly rigorous) testing, and found that my off hand shooting was more accurate with the speedlock than without. Groups off the bench were slightly better too. Every little bit helps in both accuracy and weight.
Originally Posted by Dawn2Dusk
SIDE QUESTION:

What's the expected weight savings?

I will let you know. I just sent of a bolt to Karl to be Ti fluted. Its a SA model 700 bolt out of a LSS 7mm-08 Mountain rifle that will be a faux Ti when done.
The factory Remington bolt weighs 12oz. So will see how much the flute takes off which isn't going to be much. With the Speedlock bolt/firing pin swapped out from the factory part I saw a post saying you save 2 ozs. but I don't know - but will post when changed over.
the change knocked one ounce from mine.

bolt fluting i had done on mine didn't even save an ounce - but the smith did the flutes shallow, and then ceracoated; i wouldn't be surprised if you save more than i did.
Just measured my firing pin assemblies

Remington factory old style (C series) - 4 ounces
Remington factory new style with fluted firing pin (G series) - 3.7 ounces
Callahan Speedlock - 2 ounces

Oregonmuley was right!
Originally Posted by JasonF
Just measured my firing pin assemblies

Remington factory old style (C series) - 4 ounces
Remington factory new style with fluted firing pin (G series) - 3.7 ounces
Callahan Speedlock - 2 ounces

Oregonmuley was right!

You ever have any problems with light firing pin strikes with the Callahan?
Not that I have ever noticed, at least not yet. When I had Karl work over my 7mm-08 last yeat he installed a Callahan and it seems to be working just fine. I have also put in a Gre-tan on another and I don't know that I can tell which is which - but the Callahan sure is lighter weight, not sure if that could maybe cause problems in some guns??
Somewhere I heard there might be problems with the really light firing pins like on the Callahan Speed Lock. I have no clue if that's the case, and it might just be one of those internet urban legends.

I need to order a couple to replace two rifles I have with J-locks, so I'll be interested to see what others experiences with them are.

I had a 338-06 that shot well with factory pin, I switched to Callahan lightweight and accuracy was the same but I had a few misfires with shallow primer indentations. Swapped back to factory. I then swapped the bolt out for a stainless one and put the callahan back in it and it seems to shoot fine now and have not had any misfires. I put another on a Rem 30-06 Mountain rifle and have had no problems with it.
Lee
I haven't had any problems either. I have swapped my two Callahan assemblies around on my four M700's and all worked fine. Eventually I will put them on all of them.
I replaced all my M700 bolt shrouds and firing pin assemblies with Callahan's. I can't imagine the lock time is that much shorter than the non-speedlock Callahan - its is dang quick!

I like 'em alot.
Will the Callahan fit a Model 7 as well?
Call up PTG as I am fairly certain they are the manufacturer of
"Callahan" shrouds, and yes they make Model 7 and XP100 length assemblies.
Originally Posted by deerhunter5555

Good point.
Are the Model 7 bolts the same as the Model 700 SA bolts?
Instead of starting a new thread I'll just post my question here.(No hi-jack intended)

I have one of the Callahan Speedlock pins and am very happy with it. The black anodized aluminum shroud doesn't match perfectly but it's not bad at all IMO.

Also, I have a Ti on the way that has the J-lock and I will certainly be replacing it. I have looked at both the Callahan and Gre-Tan offerings. Going by the pictures on the web sites it looks as though the "silver" Gre-Tan model will come closest to matching the factory finish. The Callahan looks too polished and the Gre-Tan looks to be more matte.

I don't really have a problem with adding a colored one (I might just go that route), I just wanted to know what's the best option if one was trying to match the factory metal. If anyone has pics of either or both I would love to see them posted here. Thanks.

Nail
The Callahan looks too polished

what's the best option if one was trying to match the factory metal.

Bead blast it and it'll be a near perfect match.
Originally Posted by DMB

Good point.

Nope, different lengths.

MtnHtr
Sure, that would work, but I'm more interested in the appearance as it would be upon arrival to my doorstep. Out of the box so to speak.

More to the point, if anyone has a pic of the Gre-Tan "silver" assembly I'd appreciate a peek at it.

Nail
Originally Posted by Mtn Hunter
Originally Posted by DMB

Good point.

Nope, different lengths.

MtnHtr

I think Gre-Tan has a Model 7 offering.

Nail
Originally Posted by Nail
Sure, that would work, but I'm more interested in the appearance as it would be upon arrival to my doorstep. Out of the box so to speak.

More to the point, if anyone has a pic of the Gre-Tan "silver" assembly I'd appreciate a peek at it.

Nail

Sorry this isn't a better picture, but you can kind of see the Gre-tan shroud on this one. Its a LVSF 223 and the Gre-tan matched up pretty good. Depending on the angle you looked at it it was close.

I did just get my first Callahan Speedlock on Friday, up against the LSS 7mm-08 it will go on, its not a bad match also. I suppose one could try and maybe hit the schroud with some steel wool very lightly to blend?? But as is its not bad. On a Ti action I would think the Callahan might match better than the Gre-tan.

Also, if it would help, I can hold the Callahan next to a Ti, I have a Ti in 25-06 so can't put it on the bolt since its a SA but could take a quick pic to show the color.

Attached picture IMG_0518.JPG

Sorry this isn't a better picture, but you can kind of see the Gre-tan shroud on this one. Its a LVSF 223 and the Gre-tan matched up pretty good. Depending on the angle you looked at it it was close.

I did just get my first Callahan Speedlock on Friday, up against the LSS 7mm-08 it will go on, its not a bad match also. I suppose one could try and maybe hit the schroud with some steel wool very lightly to blend?? But as is its not bad. On a Ti action I would think the Callahan might match better than the Gre-tan.

Also, if it would help, I can hold the Callahan next to a Ti, I have a Ti in 25-06 so can't put it on the bolt since its a SA but could take a quick pic to show the color.

Yes please, if you don't mind.
Thanks for the info as well and nice rifle.

Nail
Originally Posted by Nail

Yes please, if you don't mind.
Thanks for the info as well and nice rifle.

Nail

Well, here you go. After looking and comparing them the Callahan doesn't really match either one very well. I thought it would match the Ti better but its way off. When I had the Gre-tan, it really matches regular stainless much better. The Gre-tan almost kind of looks matte coated, this one is just polished.
Anyway, hope this helps. Sorry for the poor pics - the one of the bolt is maybe the best to compare - this is out of a Alaskan Ti though, not sure if the 1st Gen looks exactly the same or not.

Attached picture IMG_0529.JPG
Attached picture IMG_0530.JPG
Attached picture IMG_0531.JPG
Attached picture IMG_0532.JPG
Attached picture IMG_0533.JPG
Originally Posted by Mtn Hunter
Originally Posted by DMB

Good point.

Nope, different lengths.

MtnHtr
bolt shroud diff. too

Anyway, hope this helps. Sorry for the poor pics - the one of the bolt is maybe the best to compare - this is out of a Alaskan Ti though, not sure if the 1st Gen looks exactly the same or not.

No worries. I appreciate your help.

From what I've seen and have gathered so far I may just go with the black Callahan. There will be black rings,scope, and stock so maybe it'll look OK. Then again the red will receive consideration. Who knows?

Nail
Outside of benrchrest/target shooting what are the demonstrated advantages vs spending the same money on an optics upgrade or a gym membership?
Lighter weight overall is the only advantage I'm looking for.

Already have the optics upgrade and the workouts down pretty well.
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Lighter weight overall is the only advantage I'm looking for.

Already have the optics upgrade and the workouts down pretty well.

Well, you will get that, it shaved off 2.1 oz over the factory shroud/firing pin.
I found this thread and i thought this might be away to shave some OZ's off my Ti. I went to look at the rifle and the bolt shroud has a shiny brushed aluminum look to it. I bought the gun used, so i was hoping one of you can look at the pictures and tell me if it already has one on it. Thanks in advance.

Attached picture 101_0523 (Custom).JPG
Attached picture 101_0524 (Custom).JPG
Looks like one of the Callahan versions to me.

Check out the third photo attached in Oregonmuley's post above if you haven't already. Shows the aftermarket sitting next to the original Ti one. The original bolt and shroud match perfectly while yours looks identical to the Callahan.

Nail
Nail,

You can buy the factory (Remington) replacement from Brownell's. I'd guess that would match closer than any of the other ones. It's also cheaper and comes with that cool looking fluted firing pin (not that you can see it once it's installed).

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=26508/pid=0/sku/Firing_Pin_Assembly__SS__SA

-Dan
Originally Posted by Big_W
I found this thread and i thought this might be away to shave some OZ's off my Ti. I went to look at the rifle and the bolt shroud has a shiny brushed aluminum look to it. I bought the gun used, so i was hoping one of you can look at the pictures and tell me if it already has one on it. Thanks in advance.
Yep, got the same one on mine.
Somehow the obvious choice eluded me on this one. Many thanks.

Nail
© 24hourcampfire