Home
Posted By: kla Kurz Mauser question - 02/27/10
I just talked to a guy that has one these for sale in 7X57. I have never seen one of these, but I always thought they were for cartridges that were considerably shorter than 57 mm.

the guy says the action hasn't been opened up or anything.

Thanks for any info.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Kurz Mauser question - 02/27/10
Don't get it confused, the Kurz action was a commercial Mauser action. There are shorter military Mauser rifles that are called Kurz Mausers because they are shorter in overall length (butt to muzzle) but still sport a typical 98 action.

A commercial Kurz magazine length is a bit shorter than the 2.8" magazine length of today's short actions.
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: Kurz Mauser question - 02/27/10
kla,
I have some photos with a tape measure along the action if you would like to see them. I am a buyer for a Kurz if it is for sale.
Butch
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Kurz Mauser question - 02/27/10
Don't think it's a commercial Kurz action
Posted By: kla Re: Kurz Mauser question - 02/28/10
a picture shosw the thumb cut on the left side of the receiver like the military 98s. Did the commercial actions have said cut?
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Kurz Mauser question - 02/28/10
Yes, if memory serves. You ain't jamming a 7x57 in one.
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: Kurz Mauser question - 02/28/10
A Kurz has a thumb cut. The mag length is 2.725 and the receiver length is 8.125". The Kurz that I have seen had double set triggers.
Butch
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Kurz Mauser question - 02/28/10
Ditto the one's I have seen (2 IIRC);they are "short" and there is little mistaking them for anyhting else. The one's I saw were for 250-3000. I don't think you can squeeze a 7x57 into them.
Posted By: Jericho Re: Kurz Mauser question - 02/28/10
I have heard of Kurz Mausers in .35 Remington, but
have never seen one.
Posted By: bcp Re: Kurz Mauser question - 02/28/10
I've seen "Kurz Mauser" applied to the Yugoslavian M48 Mauser, which is slightly shorter than the standard 98. It really is an intermediate length, not short.

Make sure that is not happening here, if you really want a "Kurz."

Bruce
Posted By: muledeer Re: Kurz Mauser question - 02/28/10
Here is a 6.5x54 Kurz...

[Linked Image]

Full length...

[Linked Image]

Dennis
Posted By: like2shoot Re: Kurz Mauser question - 02/28/10
Here is a 6.5x54 Kurz...

Dennis, what is the parent cartridge, the Russian round?
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Kurz Mauser question - 02/28/10
But that ain't a Kurz action is it?
I am pretty sure that is not a Kurz receiver.
Butch
Originally Posted by like2shoot
"Here is a 6.5x54 Kurz..."

Dennis, what is the parent cartridge, the Russian round?

Russian? Hardly! It's German -- a shortened version of the 7x57 that was developed in the early 20th century for hunting there. It was designed with a slower twist specifically for shooting 120-130 grain bullets. I generally reform .243 brass; it comes out about x52, but the 2mm short is from the neck, and the neck is plenty long at x52. (To be clear, this case and its development has nothing to do with the Mannlicher-Shoenauer 6.5x54, nor the Husqvarna 6.5x55. The base is, rather, the same size as the 6.5x57, 7x57, 8x57, 9x57, and 9.3x57.)

Interestingly enough, when "Germania Waffenwerk AG Zella-Mehlis" escaped the Russia takeover of East German in 1945 and moved everything they could to West Germany, they re-opened the factory under the family name -- Anschutz.

I honestly don't know how long the action is -- guess I could go check it. But it is certainly a factory-manufactured, original in all ways, 6.5x54 Kurz.

Dennis
Posted By: TC1 Re: Kurz Mauser question - 02/28/10
Neat rifle!
It is a neat rifle! I believe it may have Kurz as a cartridge, but it is not a Kurz receiver.
Butch
Posted By: rifle Re: Kurz Mauser question - 02/28/10
I'll take it...!!
So would I.
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
It is a neat rifle! I believe it may have Kurz as a cartridge, but it is not a Kurz receiver.
Butch

I guess I have to measure it. So who manufactured what you call "Kurz" rifles? Is this like saying you have a rifle chambered for a Remington cartridge, but it's not a Remington rifle? "Kurz" is German for "short", but is that also a brand? This is getting curious...

And no, it's not for sale... grin.

Dennis
Posted By: bcp Re: Kurz Mauser question - 02/28/10
Measure your action length. The problem with "Kurz" (short) is that it was applied to the short commercial receiver and also the standard action short rifle.

From Brownells:

The smallest factory Mauser actions are the Short, or �Kurz� actions, that were made by Mauser for the commercial market prior to WWII. The overall length of the actions is about 8.125". These actions are among the most uncommon Mausers, quite rare and highly desirable to collectors.

Slightly less common intermediate size actions are the 1910, 1924, 1936 Mexican, and the 1924 Yugoslavian. These are also about 8.5" long but have the features of the true 98 pattern action

The third size of actions is the �standard� size action. This action is approximately 8.750" long.

The fourth size of Mauser action is the Magnum size action. These were built in limited numbers by Mauser and are slightly over nine inches in overall length.

More at:
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=11029/guntechdetail/The_Long_and_Short_of_Mauser_Actions

Bruce
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: Kurz Mauser question - 03/01/10
Dennis,
Below are pics of one of my buddies Kurz. When he bought it, it ha a Remington 22-250 barrel on it.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Check out the measurement of the receiver. It is 8.125" in length. I believe yours to be 8.750"
It does have a thumb cut, but is a commercial receiver.
Butch
Posted By: muledeer Re: Kurz Mauser question - 03/01/10
It's good to have days when I learn something. So my Kurz Cartridge Rifle is not a Kurz Action Rifle. I know this because I went to the shop, opened the safe up, and pulled it, my 9x57 Mauser, and my 9.3x57 Husqvarna. My 6.5x54 Kurz and 9x57 are the same size; the M46 is shorter.

I still like my 6.5x54 Kurz... grin.

Dennis
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Kurz Mauser question - 03/01/10
Thought it looked a tad long.
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: Kurz Mauser question - 03/01/10
Dennis,
No fleas on your rifle at all. I really like it.
Butch
Posted By: muledeer Re: Kurz Mauser question - 03/01/10
This has actually been pretty interesting. The "Anschutz" family made rifles for the 6.5x54 Kurz cartridge based on the standard action, while Mauser made them on an action more than half an inch shorter. It's sort of like Winchester using a long action for .257 Roberts, while Remington, which more or less invented it, always used short actions. Part of that was because Winchester only made long actions, until very late in their era. And part of it was because Remington made both, from about 1949 on, at least.

I bought mine for the cartridge on the design, not specifically because of it's action length -- so it's no problem one way or the other. I would, however, like to find a matching model chambered in 6.5x57, though... grin.

Thanks...I appreciate the information, and the learning process.

Dennis
Posted By: bcp Re: Kurz Mauser question - 03/01/10
The 257 Roberts was introduced about 1934 in the Remington 30, a long action, It wasn't available in a short action until 1948 in the 722. And Winchester made it in a long action only for about 50 years.

Bruce
Posted By: rifle Re: Kurz Mauser question - 03/01/10
I'll still take it!!
Posted By: DMB Re: Kurz Mauser question - 03/01/10
Originally Posted by rifle
I'll still take it!!

How far back in line am I???[Linked Image]
Posted By: mmgravy Re: Kurz Mauser question - 03/02/10
Great thread....

I like the Mausers and it is always nice to learn something.
Posted By: rifle Re: Kurz Mauser question - 03/04/10
I've not had a PM yet!!
Posted By: muledeer Re: Kurz Mauser question - 03/04/10
Not for sale...no way, no how... grin.

But I appreciate your interest...

Dennis
Posted By: rifle Re: Kurz Mauser question - 03/04/10
you're mean....I'm still first!!LOL

Nice rifle! Hang on to it......rifle
Posted By: 22WRF Re: Kurz Mauser question - 03/04/10
Here is a nice shortened Mauser

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971019521/m/2541061821