Home
I just got back from a weekend trip during which I stopped by to see the progress of the custom Mauser Gary Stiles is making for me. It is always fun for me to get the time to stop and see Gary in his shop.....especially when that trip revolves around a rifle that he is building for me smile I had him make me a 35 whelen a few years ago, so this is my second project with Gary. I told him I wanted an "old school" style mauser in 7x57. Something that looked as if it could have been made back in the 30's. Here are a few of the details:

Stock and metal work done by Gary Stiles Gary Stiles
Charles Daly LH Mauser Action
Custom Bolt handle
Douglas Premium Barrel cut to 22"
Action �Cleaned up� by Gary
Satterlee 3 Position Safety
German Bottom metal from the 30's.....provided by Gary
Straight Grained 1/4 sawn Turkish walnut bought from Ray Atkinson about 5 years ago
Dakota Skeleton grip cap will be used
Sights will be from NECG (Not yet in)
Red Recoil pad
Checkering will end up being a point pattern.

[Linked Image]

My Better half holding my rifle. She patiently endured my couple of hours with Gary talking about my project and rifles in general smile

[Linked Image]

Here is my rifle along with Gary's 1909 Argentine. I will be using the same sights he has on his finished rifle

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A close up of the custom bolt handle. In a straight down original mauser style

[Linked Image]

Gary removed all of the "Charles Daly/ Zastava" advertising. And added this thumb cut. a GREAT touch. I love the look:)

[Linked Image]

Bottom metal from a 1930's vintage mauser. Cleaned up by Gary with the trigger guard re contoured. I really like the trim lines and the authentic feel it gives to my rifle.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v482/IronBuck/StilesMauser-1.jpg[/img]

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v482/IronBuck/StilesMauser-7.jpg[/img]

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v482/IronBuck/StilesMauser-8.jpg[/img]

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v482/IronBuck/StilesMauser-9.jpg[/img]

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v482/IronBuck/StilesMauser-10.jpg[/img]

I am very pleased with the progress. I can't wait to get it in my hands and in the field. It will be a joy to shoot and hunt with. Nice, light and trim. I love the way his stock designs fit me. It has been lots of fun planning this project with Gary. I hope I can find a few more left hand Actions....I just have so many ideas smile
Very nice and I've always liked the lever on the floorplate.

Wife looks thrilled
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Very nice and I've always liked the lever on the floorplate.

Wife looks thrilled

TFF! Steelhead -- always the master of the understatement!

John
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Wife looks thrilled

grin
Great looking rifle.

Excellent! Now if only the rest of us can find the LH Daly actions.
VERY fine rifle, sir - and a pretty wife you have there as well. Congratulations on both.
Very nice all the way around. Just curious, who did the bolt handle engraving?
Gary Stiles did the checkering and floral pattern on the bottom of the bolt himself. It is a nice touch to a custom rifle.
That is a beauty, for sure.
That is a beauty and the rifle looks good to.
Wow, that is stunning! Add me to the list of folks that would love to get one of the LH Mauser actions...
Oh, forgot to mention.. Great cartridge choice!
You've got me drooling, what with the bolt handle on the correct side and all. Looks like it will be a beauty!
Too cool! I love the thumbcut. Nice touch. Gary's work looks very nice.

Terry
Outstanding! A lot of thoughtful detail.
Keep us in the loop. I'd love to see the finished product!
Yep..perfect cartridge choice, nice classic look,the lever on the floorplate and the English red pad give is the understated elegance of a "utility" rifle...

Good stuff!! laugh

ingwe
Perfect.....just perfect. Great job.

OBTW, they were never Charles Daly's in the first place....just Zastavas.....really nice!! Regards, Rick.
Nice - the rifle and the lady. Keep them both...
What Douglas contour did you go with? Looks perfect.
Looks great. Nice style there (no pun intended). There is something "finished" about a bolt gun with a thumb cut. Just looks natural to me, wonder how it would look on a M70...
This has been a fun project. It was hard to get all the "ideas" in my head finalized. With most of it my budget dictated. One thing I wanted to do but just could not afford in the end was a half octagon/ half round barrel. I saw one Gary made for another client and just fell in love with the way it looked. So the round barrel was a compromise.....but I am happy with how it looks. It definitely fits my "1930's" theme.

The Douglas barrel I used is a #2 contour cut to 22" I thought about using a #1, but in the end decided that the #2 would balance better. Which it does. This rifle is a joy to hold. I can't wait to actually be able to shoot & hunt with it. I always wanted a 7x57. Having one in a mauser is just...right smile
Now its time to make one just like it for the Wife!
Ahh, #2 contour is what I was hoping you were going to say! That is what my current 7X57 project is going to wear also.

My 35 whelen. Also made for me by Gary Stiles. Another Left Hand mauser

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire