Home
Was speaking to another forum member who works down at the Sportsman's Warehouse locally...

was speaking about doing a 20 caliber wildcat, with a 20 BR or a 20/250 Savage...

he brought up a real interesting Idea... even if it is overbore big time..

a 20 cal on a necked down 223 WSSM case...

probably be the only one in your neighborhood with one, that's for sure..

anyone else ever heard of anyone trying this out???
Seafire there is a article that I read about this. I think it was in varmint hunter or small caliber news but I am not sure.

Anyway they ran the rifle with a fast twist barrel (1/9 I think) and shot the some 50 grain 20 caliber bullets (bergers I think) in it. The gun was amazing with the high B.C. bullets.

The only real problem seemed to be necking the brass down that it had to be turned to fit the chamber.

If someone can remember what magazine its in I may still have the article but I don't remember where to start looking.

Dink
here's a 20-250... similar idea
http://www.rmvh.com/20-250%20-%20Why%20the%2020-250.htm
PTG makes a reamer for it already
I think that I have a 20-250 barrel that came off a Remington 600 action.

Jeff
I hear the 20X47 Lapua is a great little round as well.
Might be cool, but I'm thinkin' barrel life would be rather short.
When I had my 20BR built, I asked my gunsmith how many rounds I could expect from the barrel. His answer was a simple, "Who cares? When you burn it out, just put another one on."

With going even more overbore, you may wind up replacing the barrel just about the time you've finally worked up the perfect load.
20 WSSM?
Nuts. BR maybe. PPC better.
Nuts. But then again, that's wildcattin'.
I designed my Badger Buster on a 6.5 x47 Lapua necked down to .20 caliber and I will tell you my 20 Dasher does nearly the same velocity with less powder.
The WSSM is way overbore and you will not gain much for the added powder capacity.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

ML
© 24hourcampfire