Home
Posted By: kend Question for the Mauser experts. - 05/31/10
A gun store close by has a custom Argentine Mauser that I really like the look and feel of. I haven't a clue what it's value is. The stock is very well done in fact the barrel contacts the stock the full length and it fits so nicely there is no gap. I don't know who made the barrel as it it simply stamped 280. It's some time difficult to be objective when I want something and that's why I'm asking for opinions about this rifle. I think I can get it for around $650. Thanks, Ken [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Action alone is about $300 without any mods, safety added is prolly about $100.00, bolt handle $75, barrel fitting-etc. $400, on and on. That is a great deal. Can't see the bottom metal but it might be standard issue with a button welded on or aftermarket.

I would start reaching for the wallet.
P.S. Not an expert but did sleep at a Holiday Inn last night. grin
Beautiful rifle.

You could do FAR worse.
I'd buy it!
Originally Posted by sactoller
I'd buy it!

You can't. You're going to Africa.
That's pretty much what I'm a thinking. It's amazing how the bbl channel is perfectly inletted. It's quite humbling to look at others work and realize that I'm a bricklayer among sculptors. Thanks for the replies. Ken
That is a better than average looking custom Mauser,
I would snatch it up for that price.
I went and looked at it again today and I was wrong. He wants $795 for it. He did say he would give me $700 for my Kimber Classic in trade though which is a good deal IMHO. The rifle does have real nice after market bottom metal. Decisions, Decisions. Does Sunny Hill put their name on their parts? Ken
Don't know about SH might be a Blackburn. If so, they are $350+. Pic would help greatly.

Why not sell your Classic here? I'm thinking it would be snatched right quick at $800.
$795 ? ?.............Hmmmmmm........ While nice, IMO it's not that nice.

If it was ME that wanted it, I would first as the seller how much ($$$) a scope like that is worth.

If the seller came up with a dollar figure of the scope's value, since it has zero value to me, I would make hime a csah-on-the-counter offer for the bareback rifle (no scope) around $500 - saying I already have a good scope for it @ home - and shut up until he decided to pick up either the rifle or the money from the counter.

You can always sell off the Kimber later.

Don't know about other places, but around here the stock is worth close to that as it's fitted to the rifle. The action is also worth a good bit as previously cited.
Even if the barrel is toast, or the bedding/barrel crown/chamber are bad, it's still a good buy. E
I have a real problem seeing such a cheap scope on a nice rifle. As mentioned in a previous reply, see what he thinks the scope is worth and make him an offer to buy the rifle sans scope.
Originally Posted by SST
I have a real problem seeing such a cheap scope on a nice rifle. As mentioned in a previous reply, see what he thinks the scope is worth and make him an offer to buy the rifle sans scope.

It took me a long time to figure out why folks always put cheap, junk scopes on a nice rifle....

After I bought a few, I figured it out. Chances are, the scope won't be sighted in. For some unknown reason, some folks think a saleable rifle is worth more with a scope on it. Most of us, as buyers, know that a $25 scope adds zero value to a good rifle. When I have those cheap POS's, I usually end up giving them away to someone for a kid's .22 rifle. smile

Edw-
Have to agree with Eremicus on this one.

The stock blank alone in that grade of walnut isn't cheap. Add some nice exterior stockwork, expert inletting, and a nice finish and that stock gets to be expensive.
The bottom metal is expensive as well.
$795 is at the upper end of what I'd pay for that rifle but I don't think I could duplicate it for less than that even with me doing the barrel work myself.
It looks like a gunsmith student's rifle. Probably has the best components he could find and he spent a lot of time on it. That might explain the scope as well. that is something he could upgrade latter. BUY IT and ENJOY IT!
I'd pay an extra $50 for them to keep the Simmons. I'd buy that rifle.
I would buy it in a minute at that price.
If you have the money and want a .280 you could certainly do a lot worse. Don't see how you could lose any money on the deal. I'd offer $750 out the door and tell them they could keep the scope/rings/mounts if he needed to.

There is a .280 ack on a Mauser in a McMillan not nearly this well done for about the same price on gunbroker. While the McMillan is incredibly nice, I suspect it would cost a whole bunch more to have that wood stock duplicated.
On one hand $795 is not a lot for something that you want. On the other hand that stock lacks checkering, the rifle looks heavy, the metal finish has little appeal to me, you don't know if it will shoot well, the safety is hard to reach and only two position, and the color of the stock looks off.

The bottom metal seems 1909.

The dealer may have got it cheap unless its consignment. There is a good suggestion above if you must have the rifle. Offer $495 cash sans scope.

I would not trade that for a Kimber. No way!
I just sold an Argentine 1909 receiver for $400+shipping. I personnaly would much rather have it than a Kamber. I like it.
Butch
I was looking through Gun Broker for a 'better' deal than the subject and I found this one.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Sure it might go for a little more however its what I like.
1909 actions have the button for the floor plate release in the trigger guard. Might be original bottom metal?
Compelling, but there sure is something said for having the rifle in hand vice dealing with some unknown 42 states away, with only pictures to go by.

YMMV
Ste Vel, that Mannlicher stocked Mauser is nowhere near the quality of the one Kend posted.
Woodwork is amateurish, the bottom metal is stock military Mauser (not even 1909), the safety is a cheap Buehler on an ugly military shroud, the bolt handle looks like a forged military handle.
That rifle is a $350 rifle IMO.
Agreed, but I'd not expect anything less from the idiot.
Steelhead,

I find it rude that you would call another member here an name.

I posted up that other rifle just to compare it. I happen to like its look and find it more compete and appealing to me than the other one.

Please don't call other people here names.

Go ahead and make your criticisms of our choices of course.

Thank you.
nsaquam,

I don't agree that the stock work is ameratureish. I find its overall look pleasing to my eye. The bolt handle looks just fine to me. Both it and the bottom metal are similar to some of the FN's from the 50's.

Both rifles are good ones.

$350!?? Thats wrong!
I am a big fan of Mannlicher style stocks but look at the stock around the bolt release. The huge gap at the front of it and the abrupt step at the rear of it are poorly done. Look at the elegant and professional treatment of the same area on the rifle Kend posted. That is how it should be done.
The stock along with the $23 Buehler safety and the less than perfect bolt jewelling coupled with the $5 extended release button on the military floorplate make that rifle a $350-$400 rifle. It is a reasonably well done amateur job IMO.
Kend's rifle, with the exception of the barrel stamping, is a well done professional example.
Sorry, and you are correct. You aren't an idiot, you just make idiotic choices, my bad.
nsaqam,

That space in front of the bolt release could well be good style. I give it my benefit of the doubt.

If the stock is filled in at the front of the bolt release it makes the purchase area small to grip the release.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The metal finish on the other rifle is odd and the color of its uncheckered stock is not to my taste.

To each his own.

smile

How about this one?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b297/Shoalcove/Rifle1/Mau4.jpg[/img]
The fit and finish of the rifle is superb. The forend tip is not to my taste however.

Who made it, how much $$$$ and do you have a pic of the cheekpiece?
I paid $450 for it.

Cheekpiece is a tad funky (and no it's not a rollover) but everything lines up just perfectly. I had it sold awhile back but the dude backed out. Decided to keep it and I'm actually walking out the door right now to get a 257 Roberts tube screw on.

[Linked Image]
Its cheekpiece is the style of its day and while not great art to me it may line up well.

Could the comb be cut down to say a monte carlo?

Originally Posted by WildWest
1909 actions have the button for the floor plate release in the trigger guard. Might be original bottom metal?

No button on original bottom metal.
Originally Posted by Ste_vel
nsaqam,

That space in front of the bolt release could well be good style. I give it my benefit of the doubt.

If the stock is filled in at the front of the bolt release it makes the purchase area small to grip the release.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The metal finish on the other rifle is odd and the color of its uncheckered stock is not to my taste.

To each his own.

smile

The bolt release has a projection at the top for purchase. They aren't meant to be grasped from the front.
Steelheads rifle also shows a properly done stock around the bolt release.

Nice rifle Scott.
I tried to offer him $50.00 but he wouldn't take it. Worm. eek
© 24hourcampfire