Home
Posted By: kaboku68 Sterling Davenport rifles - 06/24/10
Dear crew,
I am wondering if anybody has any information or stories about Sterling Davenport. Is he retired? Does his son continue on in his business. Most other famous makers have been profiled at one time or another but I am curious with all of our AZ brethen if anybody has stories or custom rifles by him.

Sincerely,
Thomas
Posted By: Karnis Re: Sterling Davenport rifles - 06/24/10
If I'm not mistaken he passed away in March, 2009. I've seen several of his rifles and they were spectacular. Oddly enough I read some stock finishing articles that described his methods. I've tried it and even a pinhead like myself can make a stock look decent.
He did not pass away as far as I know. A friend in Dallas just received a custom from him.
Butch
Posted By: Karnis Re: Sterling Davenport rifles - 06/24/10
Glad to see I was incorrect. He's always been one of my favorites (ever since I started slobbering over custom stocks/rifles, etc. too long ago to count on both hands and feet x 2 grin ).
He lives in Tucson. He shows up at Harry Lawson's from time to time. He does the fancy checkering on their rifles.

Posted By: cptenca Re: Sterling Davenport rifles - 08/26/10
I can't find a webiste, does anyone have contact info for him?
Give Randy Lawson (Harry Lawson Co) a call at 520-326-1117. He would know how to contact Mr. Davenport.
Posted By: DavidC Re: Sterling Davenport rifles - 08/27/10
Sterling Davenport

9611 E. Walnut Tree Dr.
Tuscon AZ 85749

Best Regards,
Dave
Posted By: PJGunner Re: Sterling Davenport rifles - 08/29/10
AFAIK, Sterling Daventport is retired and is not taking any more work. Just my bloody luck as the Chancellor of the Exchequer just gave me the OK to let me get one of his rifles. I've known him to talk to at the range for several years now and I'm hoping I can talk him into one last job.
From what I've heard, his son is no longer working with him and has a job in some other industry. I forget which one.
Paul B.
Posted By: Biebs Re: Sterling Davenport rifles - 04/30/18
A friend of mine is going to sell 2 of Sterling's African safari rifles, in 585 Nyati and 416 Rigby. I'm waiting for photos and prices now.
© 24hourcampfire