Home
As a few of you may have gleamed, I've been on the hunt to build a rifle that would be my finest ever. I was offered a chance to buy basically what I was looking for in a Bob. Please tell me what you think. I'll show just a few of the 38 the owner sent me today.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c129/GSSP/custom257roberts062.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c129/GSSP/custom257roberts051.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c129/GSSP/custom257roberts046.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c129/GSSP/custom257roberts033.jpg[/img] [img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c129/GSSP/custom257roberts032.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c129/GSSP/custom257roberts025.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c129/GSSP/custom257roberts022.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c129/GSSP/custom257roberts016.jpg[/img] [img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c129/GSSP/custom257roberts011.jpg[/img] [img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c129/GSSP/custom257roberts005.jpg[/img]

Here are the specs:

1-1/2 yr old.

Krieger #2ish (.605" muzzle) 24" CM, 1:10 twist.
Pre 64 M70 Ser 244,ish range
Calif English walnut, LOP 13-5/8"

Krieger chambered, installed, crowned, full blueprint.

Glen Morovitz of Newell, SD did the rest to include rust blue of all metal to include bases/rings, etc. Glassed up the action and insured 100% reliability. Sunnyhill BM. Full glass bed. Not free floated. Re-contoured tang.

Vari-X III 4.5-14x40 in S&K Sculptured bases/rings.

Straight stock, no cast off.

It's in the range of what I was willing to pay for a custom build. I had a list of potential calibers and the 257 Roberts was on my list. Owner is the original owner, post custom build by Glen and he's only shot is 20-40 rds. He has several other Bob's and is only selling this to fund another custom build in a much larger caliber.

Opinions?

Alan
I would buy it, but it's not my choice. What would you change on the rifle, anything? Beautiful rifle.
Unless your specifications would be radically different, I'd buy it. Particularly because material and labor prices aren't going down anytime soon.
I had a very similiar gun built and it is my favorite. I choose a 257 Roberts because with the metal but pad, the recoil won't be terrible. It is a great round for western hunting. My Roberts will spend alot of time in the truck and won't get banged up in a scabard.

I didn't know Glen was in Newell. With him and James Anderson, that town has a corner on the good smith market!

ddj
Buy it!

What was the question?
It's only money
Finest components, absolutely flawless execution, what's not to like about a superb rifle like that. If the price is within your means I'd buy it. Most owners of rifles like that are not selling and the cost and wait to build a rifle like that can be substantial. A friend of mine who is a nationally known custom 'smith would charge $15K + to build a similar rifle.
Ya, what they all say. It appears to be beautifully executed and the chambering is as classic as the sytle.
There is much about that rifle that I like. The only exception being the Niedner buttplate. A red Pachmayr Decelerator would be much more to my liking. If that's close to your blueprint, I'd buy it. Likely cheaper, and certainly two years sooner. smile

Would you hunt with it? I'd hope so! I know I would. blush

GH

P.S: I'd consider the timeline... My reasoning being: Likely you are not in your 20's... Folks in their 20's usually cannot afford a rifle like that. Probably you are in your 50's or older. Since that's where most of us are before we can afford a rifle of that class. Knowing that tomorrow is not promised to any of us... I'd say you will likely have about two more years to enjoy a fine rifle... smile

Just random thoughts from a mostly idle mind... blush
Hunt with it? Dang right I will!

Alan
I would buy it. Sounds like it is exactley what you are looking for. Now two things. Build a bigbore to match schedule a trip to Africa.
I like the open grip, don't like the wood nor the mile long shank but you only need make yourself happy.
The real deal maker would be how it feels when you throw it up. It is absolutely one beautiful rifle! I am not sure I could take something like that out of the case.

Load up some 100 grain bullets and never look back!

If it balances right, and fits your price range--------and YOU like it overall, then I'd jump on it. You'd be getting a beautiful rifle with the wait and extra expense paid for by the previous owner. Win-win.
Beautiful gun.
My brother used to live in Newell, never told me about any smiths there. The only gun he uses though is an old rusty 20 ga. that rides in the tractor cab.
That is one fine rifle, got me excited just looking at it. I couldn't find anything not to like about it from the photos. No flaws or flubs that can happen to even the best.

If the stock fits then I'd say it's a done deal.

If I could order something like that the only changes would be make it a Lefty, add some cast and cant but not much, put a smaller scope on it and then I would agonize over whether to AI it or not but probably wouldn't.
I'd buy it. Great caliber and the classic style of the rifle fits the caliber very well.
Hubba, hubba.

Buy.
My pockets will only be deep enough on a temporary basis so I've decided to buy it sans the scope. I'd like something a skootch smaller in optics.

As far as fit, my Cooper 57M in 22LR has the same length stock. It's a skootch short when wearing a t-shirt but just fine when wearing more clothes during our Oct Utah elk and deer hunts. If it was a heavier recoiling rifle, I'd rethink my decision but feel comfortable as is.

Check will go out tomorrow. Thanks for the prompting questions and statements.

Alan
Way to go Alan.
Need some advice.

I've decided to mount a VX3 2.5-8x32 w/ B&C reticle. I'd like your opinions on either Gloss or Matte finish. The scope you see in the pics has a matte finish.

Alan
I'll take it!!
Originally Posted by GSSP
Need some advice.

I've decided to mount a VX3 2.5-8x32 w/ B&C reticle. I'd like your opinions on either Gloss or Matte finish. The scope you see in the pics has a matte finish.

Alan

Doesn't look like the metal has a "high" polish finish so I'd go matte. Why not wait until you get it in to decide?
Originally Posted by Karnis
Need some advice.

Alan

Doesn't look like the metal has a "high" polish finish so I'd go matte. Why not wait until you get it in to decide?

I'll will wait until I have the rifle in hand and I hold a gloss and a matte finished scope up to the rifle's finish.

Alan
I've decided to mount a VX3 2.5-8x32 w/ B&C reticle.

Are you sure that short bodied scope will be compatible with the ring spacing?

If I were in your shoes I'd look hard at the VX-3 3.5-10x40 which would fit for sure and would look great on that long action.

Matte either way.

Edit: Even if it fits, the small/short objective end of the 2.5-8x36 may look funny with that big barrel shank running out past it.
Congratulations good purchase.

Also I would look at the 2-7x Kahles if any are still around and a Swarovsky or Schmidt and Bender would not be out of place on a rifle like that.

Matte all the way I even put them on the shiny ones. Good point on the ring spacing. I don't like the rings to be right over a lens or too close to either bell.
The owner emailed dimensions Of 5.155" outside today outside edge
When I get home I'll look at Leupold web site for length of other Scopes.

Alan
Looking at the Leupold web site I found the following.

1.5-6x32mm = 5.4"
2.5-8x36mm = 5.1"
3.5-10x40mm = 5.8"
4.5-14x40mm - 5.4"

With the 5.155" distance from outside ring to outside ring, I will not be able to use the 2.5-8x36mm. Dang! Pretty sure I want the B&C reticle which leave me with the 3.5-10x40mm. The 3.5 and 4.5 scopes both run 12.6" long. To my eyes, the 4.5-14 looks too long for the action. I may have to live with it.
Leupold 6x36 or 6x40 would both work and fit with the lines of the stock better to my eye. Not a big difference though.

The lines look similar to Don Allens stock work. I wonder if it will be called the South Dakota School of American Classic Rifle by future Gun Historians.
Tejano,

Glen has worked off and on for Don Allen/Dakota, Imperial and Searcy for quite a few years doing lots of their custom stocking.

Alan
Looks like he has equaled or surpassed them with that rifle.
Just for the vicarious thrill please post a photo once you decide on the new scope.

Thanks
Originally Posted by Tejano
The lines look similar to Don Allens stock work.

I've seen several articles where Don got credit for stock work he didn't do. Glen's was some of it. I'm not saying Don couldn't shape a stock, just never saw him shape one like this 257R in 4 1/2 years working for him.

I'm interested in what pics of Don's work you've seen. IMO, much of his work was closer to a Biesen stock than what Glen makes.
A little post purchase update. At first, load development was a little frustrating. The the full contact barrel/wood channel does not allow any thing much more than 3-shot groups. I started with 100 gr E-tip and either IMR 4350 and H4350. I thought it was good enough to order 500 Nosler 2nds. Two days ago, I received some more bullets from Grafs for testing. I tried the 100 gr TTSX inconjunction with H4350 and Ramshot Hunter. Wow! the Hunter won hands down.

This am I was able to shoot over another guys chrono as mine is kaput for now. I ran a primer test with the TTSX, Hunter and CCI 200/F210M/WLR.

The winner:

Barnes 100 gr TTSX, seated .003" off the lands (2.869" OAL)
WW Super +P brass (3x fired)
WLR primer
21 ES
8 SD
3176 Av vel
4 into 1.2"
5 into 2.16" (still does not tolerate much heat in the barrel)

[Linked Image]

The Nosler E-tip did decent
WW Super +P brass
CCI 200
45 ES
17 SD
2983 Av vel
Numerous 3-shot group .52" to 1.1"
[Linked Image]

I still need to run a primer test with the E-tip.

Oh, and here is a pic with the VX3 2.5-8x32 w/ B&C reticle. It barely fit with about 1/32" wiggle room.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Alan

very nice rifle in a great caliber....like the stock lines, and the figure in that English walnut is great. the only thing I would change is to put a 2.5 x 8 on it....it's way overscoped, and the smaller one would look more proportionate as well as being all a Roberts needs.

Steve,

The last two pics are a 2.5-8.

Alan
Sweet rifle...

My only critism is that Leupold does NOT recommend placing the rear ring directly in front of the power ring. To do this places the ring directly over the reticle. It would be a shame to have the reticle go south at a most inconvenient time... blush

Too bad Leupold doesn't install the B&C reticle in the straight 6x scopes... frown

Edw
Alan,

Didn't see this thread & pics before.........absolutely fablous looking rifle & looks extremely well done.

I truly love fluer-de-lis checkering patterns, had a customs pre-64 with it at one time & sadly, I sold it.

It may not be a really consistent sub MOA rifle but it looks like it's close enough to get the job done.

MM
Edw,

I'll look into this with Leupold.

Thanks,

Alan
Edw,

I did pour over my owner's manual and it "does' state for the 2.5x28mm Scout riflescope, it is necessary to place the back edge of the rearmost ring at least 3/4" forward of the ocular bell/tube juncture to avoid possible reticle damage.

I can see where someone, glancing over that statement might think it was for the 2.5-8x32.

Alan
Steve,

The last two pics are a 2.5-8.

Alan

didn't read the other posts so I didn't see it....looks much nicer.
I keep coming back to this post, can't seem to stay away.
In a mans life, if he is lucky, he will have the love of a good woman, Children to raise and teach, A home to keep them safe, health, happiness and wisdom and hopefully posess an instrument of the master craftsman's art. Here is such an instrument. Enjoy it for all of your days and pass it on to your kids, they will thank you

A friend DOWN UNDER

Bravo 27
Bravo 27,

Thanks. This rifle completed the list you put forth; even though I've got a couple more in the works. Though the'll be Cerakoted metal and McM stocks.

Got a couple of mates down your way. One in Mulwala, NSW and the other in Lilydale, Victoria.

Alan
Buy it, use it, feel good about it.
Originally Posted by Wallhead
Buy it, use it, feel good about it.

I did. laugh

And, I've already put scratches on it shocked whistle
Good on you Glen,
Firearm licencing and ownership is a little more challenging here so we have to be a little circumspect about what we have and what we want to add to the list.
I am currently working on a Single Shot Martini Henry in 7mm / 303 Improved. I have the 6mm version of it put together by some of the best craftsmen I know and its a beaut.
Now those same people will help me bring this new one to creation

Bravo 27
A friend DOWN UNDER
© 24hourcampfire