Home
Posted By: TC1 Custom .223 Mini Mauser finished! - 08/21/10
It's been a long journey but now it's finished! The rifle is the result of a combined effort of Shane Thompson and James Anderson. The engraving was done by Roger Kehr. The nitre bluing was handled by Roger Ferrell. It all started a few years ago when I sent Shane Thompson a Mini Mauser action for a simple barrel job. Things got out of hand and this is the final result. To say I'm happy with the results of their efforts would be the understatement of a lifetime. IMO, it's a true masterpiece built by two world class gunsmiths.

One thing the pictures don't show is just how petite this little rifle truly is. At only 5 1/2 lbs. before optics it makes all my other rifles feel like clubs.

The details of the build are too long to list but the results are obvious.

The photographs below were taken by James Anderson. They're pretty nice. Hopefully He'll send a few more.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Terry
wow.....wow....wow! Glad to here its done!
man that's purty!!
Posted By: rifle Re: Custom Mini Mauser finished! - 08/21/10
Terry..something like that is well worth owning.In today's world,craftsmanship like that is investment in someones future,either a grandchild or outside buyer...Pass along a handshake to all involved.The updates and photos were very entertaining and informative..Great work and have fun with it!
I'll have a new grandson next month and have been contemplating such a project for him. This has been inspiring!
.......rifle
That is absolutely gorgeous. Art in action. I would really love to know what the final dollar figure on that rifle came to if you don't mind.
Terry, WOW just WOW.....
It has been a very long process but the results were well worth the wait. A true work of Art by some very fine craftsmen.
I think that might be a keeper!!! Heck of a nice rifle, one to be proud of for sure - congrats.
That rifle is something to behold. Thank you for sharing the project and especially the finished product. Enjoy.

A fest for the eyes. Great way to start the day.
My god that is a beautiful rifle. Congrats on a amazing project to a finish.

Also I can't believe that they made a rilfe that could levitate for picture taking like that. Must make for very easy carry in the field.
I don't say this about many rifle but that is to pretty to hunt with.
Hot damn, that's nice!

John
If you care to share--what does something like that cost to get done?

I might need to start saving for a few year!!!
Very nice......When can I borrow it? grin

Nail
Terry,
No doubt one of the finest .223's ever produced by anyone!
It's been a pleasure watching your project grow. Thanks for keeping us gunnutz in the loop!
Glad to see it finally in your hands Terry. Even if one of them isn't working so well. I sent you some better pics. I try to work on the pictures a little at a time. Even with a finished block of wood from the buttstock as a reference to compare with what's on the screen while post processing, it's impossible to portray the true beauty of the wood. These pics are my early attempts at serious firearms photography.
WOW!!! What a terrific rifle! NIcely done for sure. Any chance you will be replacing the Loopy scope with something in a gloss finish? I have had a difficult time finding gloss scopes for my pretty guns of late but they are out there.
Originally Posted by JRGunmaker
These pics are my early attempts at serious firearms photography.

Well then, I can hardy wait for your subsequent efforts!

Very impressive gun work -- and photography!

John
A whole list of world class artisans in that build!

Absolutely stunning.

Mike
Art. Period.

But I have one question....why the thumb cut?
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
Art. Period.

But I have one question....why the thumb cut?

Pure asthetics.

Terry wanted the gun the be a mintature version on a m98 sporter based on a military or Oberndorf commercial action.

Even though it is not practical- like many features on high end wood tocked custom rifles- it is VERY unique and interesting.
Extraordinary!

Congratulations.
Absolutely beautiful!
Perfect, well maybe depending on twist.
It could be a 14 and I would still love it. wink
Finished result was worth the wait. Beautiful.
Super nice job.

What's next?

That man is a real artisan in blue steel and exquisite wood isn't he?
Holy moly!!! [Linked Image] That's simply gorgeous!! [Linked Image]

Congrats and enjoy it!!! smile

-Bob F. [Linked Image]

Everyone who appreciates fine rifles and riflesmithing should have a rifle like that...but I bet few actually do. That's gorgeous.
Perfection.

I'd sure take it hunting, but I doubt I'd ever be able to bag any critters with it - I'd never see them 'cuz I'd be too busy looking at my rifle all day rather than looking for game. smile
Originally Posted by Steelhead

I believe Terry posted Somewhere that the twist is 1 in 8".
Absolutely MAGNIFICENT cool
Originally Posted by jim62
Originally Posted by Steelhead

I believe Terry posted Somewhere that the twist is 1 in 8".

Well there we have it, PERFECT.
A beautiful rifle for sure. Man, I wish I could figure out how to put a finish like that on a stock. I can get a shine, but can't quite achieve a soft glow like that.

Magnificent

Paul

[Linked Image]

Here is my James Anderson 223 AI. I like the lines of yours even better! and also the professional photo's. Yours has a continental look with that drop at the comb. Very, very well done sir! That is a masterpiece, absolutely.

Mine is a 1:12 twist, not exactly a PC twist here, but nevertheless, it shoots 60's very well and, again, James Anderson, is an artist for anybody who is looking for one to work with. He is also a very sane person which even makes it better. grin
very very nice
that is one of the most beautiful rifles I've ever seen.....it really turned out great. congratulations, Terry.

may have to check and see what Arab slavers are paying for teenagers these days.....got one spare
Originally Posted by toltecgriz
Super nice job.

What's next?

What's the wait time on a McSwirly? Shouldn't that be dropped into a 50% purple, 30% yellow, 20% orange stock to go hunt the wet weather animals? laugh

Edit to add, that was my jealousy bone kicking in, I think its about perfect.
Wow!! Congratulations!
Daaaang that is sweet. I will probably never own a beauty like that as my tastes are more utilitarian, but that is the most beautiful wood/blued gun I have seen. I hope she shoots as good as she looks.
Bump

Terry, without a doubt that rifle, top to bottom, is one of the most beautiful I've ever seen.
that's remarkable.

I wonder how it's shooting?

great rifle

Brett (Mac)
Thanks guy's. This one turned out far beyond anything I could have ever expected. Shane Thompson's idea's for the action and the metal work are incredible. The amount of work that is below the wood line that's never seen is massive. Most of it wasn't "ordered." Shane is the kind of guy that only offers one grade of work to leave his job. He strives for excellence and the metal work on this job shows it.

Most of James Andersons work is on the outside and the quality is truely something to behold. I've looked this rifle over a 100 times and I'm still amazed at the fine detail work that has been done to it.

If I'm ever in need of engraving from this day forward Roger Kher will be the man. Roger and I talked, I had never ordered and engraving job before. My instructions were simple. Beautiful but not over loaded. Engraving is art, simply put, I told Roger about a few things I've seen on rifles that I like and let him take it from there. The results speak for themselves.

I have had it out to the range once now. I was able to get some 1" groups at 100yds with it. I think that's pretty good considering it has a 2.5X scope and a fresh barrel.

Here are a few more pictures of it. Tom Turpin contacted me and said he wants to run some pictures of it in Gun Digest next year. I think that's pretty cool wink

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Terry

Terry that rifle is absolutely stunning!
Wrong thread...
Terry;

The ONLY thing I'd change on that rifle is the scope.

Something small, gloss, and with more Xs. A gloss, US-made Burris mini-compact 6x, perhaps, or one of the little Leupold rimfire compacts sent back in for the parallax readjusted to 100-150 yards.
Terry, in a lifetime of looking at/handling firearms, I have seen three that I would call "exquisite".

Make that four.....

Severe gun lust and envy going on here.... laugh

Ingwe
That is just ridiculous. I tried to keep from looking at the pics as the project progressed but just could not peel myself away. There are precious few that can envision, then work with great 'smiths to craft such a fine arm. Congrats to all of you, that has to be one of the best efforts I've ever laid eyes on.

Like I said:

RIDICULOUS
Terry, I'm in the market for a custom gun. Where did you have yours made? It's exceptional. Also, what is the best way to reach Tom Turpin? Thanks, Phil Nichols, Scottsdale, AZ
I'd start by PMing both TC1 and JRGunmaker (James Anderson; one of the 'smiths on that build), both members here, and go from there.

YMMV.... of course...
Absolutely gorgeous, Drooling here. I've got a Mini Mauser in the safe, this has got me to thinking, might have to mortgage the house. --- Mel
Originally Posted by TC1
It's been a long journey but now it's finished! The rifle is the result of a combined effort of Shane Thompson and James Anderson. The engraving was done by Roger Kehr. The nitre bluing was handled by Roger Ferrell. It all started a few years ago when I sent Shane Thompson a Mini Mauser action for a simple barrel job. Things got out of hand and this is the final result. To say I'm happy with the results of their efforts would be the understatement of a lifetime. IMO, it's a true masterpiece built by two world class gunsmiths.

One thing the pictures don't show is just how petite this little rifle truly is. At only 5 1/2 lbs. before optics it makes all my other rifles feel like clubs.

The details of the build are too long to list but the results are obvious. Terry

Congratulations! Always nice when a project comes to completion and the results are good.

Very nice looking rifle, along with the piece of wood, the checkering and 'smithing, as well as its color and natural appearance.
Ancient thread, but some may not have seen this rifle - - - - and should.
True. And I needed an updated tag for easier access drooling. smile
I wouldn't know how to act... stunner.
I almost wore out a vehicle looking for a new gloss scope here in the Metroplex a few months back. I should have just drove over to SWFA. They usually stock a choice, or can quickly get them.

Jack
Very nice to exquisite mini Mausers! Congrats to both of you.

I had my Rem 789 in 222 Rem rebarreled to 6.8 SPC II and the hard used factory faux wood stock re-covered in a camo stick pattern. More a truck gun than those above but then that's its destiny and what the funds available would allow.

1B

I could easily be convinced that this is among the 10 most beautiful rifles made in this country over the past decade.
We need an art section...this is the first entry.
Here is a pretty neat thread with the documentation of the build if anyone is interested. Shane Thompson, James Anderson and Roger Kher are true master craftsmen in thier fields.

Mini Mauser build
© 24hourcampfire