Home
Posted By: txduckman07 243 catbird? - 08/25/10
Anybody running one? Is it simply a 270 necked down or is there a change in shoulder geometry that will require fireforming? Anyone know a smith with a reamer? Would I be better off with a 6mm rem or 6-06? Ive done alot of p-dog shooting this summer and I'd like to build a specialized rifle for the ones at longer distances. Let me hear your experiences?
Posted By: warrbuk Re: 243 catbird? - 08/25/10
Jim Ketchum of Jims Precision has that reamer. I am not sure what bullets the throat is set up for. Its a bad ass round for sure. you can call him at 707-762-3014 and get details if your interested.

he has built several very accurate rifles for me.

Good Luck

Mark
Posted By: Mull Re: 243 catbird? - 08/25/10
Jarrets Is a 270 Necked Down To a 243. And The Sholder Blown Out To 35 Degree. A Freind Of Mine Had On Of the First Ones Kenny Build.It Was a Shooting S.O.B. Pretty Sure Kenny Has Some info On His Web Site..
Posted By: crittergetter Re: 243 catbird? - 08/25/10
My gunsmith here in Dallas has built several of them for the dog shooters.He built 1 for me 2 years ago.He loads 105GR. Hornady AMAX IN HIS LOADS.One gent has confirmed kills to 1509 yds.He's been written up in Dog shooter mag about his rifles.
He's extremely slow in building rifles because he has some kind of a disease that effects the nerves and he's been down allot the last 2 years.
I use it to head shoot spikes and does.Skeeter
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: 243 catbird? - 08/27/10
I'd be thinking you'd want to throat for the 115DTAC bullet if you're running long range specifically. Leaves the AMax a long way behind at distance.
Posted By: safariman Re: 243 catbird? - 08/27/10
I think Roy Weatherby did something similar about 100 years ago. 240WBY which is pretty much a 6mm/06 with a belt hung onto it.

Doesn't seem to me like the case capacity and thus performance should be much different from if not identical to the much easier to build and load for 6/284.
© 24hourcampfire