Home
Does anybody know if you can sand down some bad spots, with 1000 grit & water on a McSwirly stock ??? Buff stock after with a fine compound. I purchased this one from the net sale. Must have been a customer order either he refused or they wouldn't send it to him. Pictures show how bad the seam is under the forend from front plate screw to the end of the stock and on the other side of the cheek piece there is 2 spots you can see. Other then that the color came out nice.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Ken
They must look worse in person because I can't really see anything. The gray in the 'swirl is likely masking the flaws that are there, at least with the way you took the pics. As for fixing them, I'd try the steel wool thing first but go no rougher than 0000 with water.
They'll buff purty................
unless those spots are "bumps" on the stock, you can sand them down. If they are flush with the rest of the stock, sanding them out won't get you anywhere because those colors are impregnated into the shell itself.

It will buff out nicely with your compound.
Those spots would be the deal breaker, don't know how anyone could use that........not
Unless I'm missing something, that looks about like everyone I've ever had. And I've had more than a few.
I've heard about them,but aren't they heavy?................
Extremely butt heavy, especially when sniper filled. I've found adding a barreled action seems to help with that problem though.
Thanks!

Will keep it in mind and try it some day.............
I'd sell it and go MPI...
What about Greybull?...............
Best........

in the world !!!!!!!!!!!!!
They any good in hot/cold?

Got me some swings to fend.....................
Originally Posted by Big Stick
They any good in hot/cold?

I'm shocked you're not learned up on the GreyBull stocks. You seem to always run top quality gear....

They're the cream of the crop as it has something to do with the bedding block and ring mounts creating a "sandwich" that will counter act the thermal expansion of the aluminum scope above the action...... prevents the � MOA shift one usually encounters from summertime zero to winter time zero.... yeah, something like that??
[Linked Image]

sounds way too complicated for me ... (grin)
Holy smokes,thanks guys!

Cool.................
What about Greybull?...............

You mean Bell & Carlson? grin
Originally Posted by WGM
sounds way too complicated for me ... (grin)

Yeah, it do sound a bit complicated.... but what I discerned from all the chatter is that if one were to drop the coin for the stock... or better yet, the entire rifle package (sheit man, it's ONLY 6k), you too could be out there sniping coyotes at 1000+ yards consistently. wink
I thought they were a Custom?..................
well, once you decide to drop $6K, you DO get to choose whether you pay by check, money order, or cash ... maybe even a credit card, but not sure on that ... Oh, and you DO get to choose one of 3 chamberings ...

that ain't 'custom' enough for you?
Wow! I bet they shoot good?................
Ramlines are custom according to some folks wink
Tough crowd here. I've always wanted me one of them Brunswick Beauties...then I'll work up to a Custom in one of 3 chamberings.

Appreciate all the help!..............
Wow! I bet they shoot good?................

I don't know ... it's too many choices for me to make a decision, so I opted to not buy one.
Just one of the Brunswicks?
Gotta start at the start. I'm worried about how tough they is and whether they scare critters and such..............
Only the blue ones.
Deer can see blue you know.
Noted.

This place is great!............
just don't tape over your muzzle to keep stuff out of it, cuz it will screw up your POI ... and make sure to carry hot so you don't miss a shot at a running deer, ok?

one last thing ... I hope you're not using an old-style remington trigger ... you'll have an AD and either kill yourself or someone else ...
I'm takin' notes,keep the intel coming....................
blind magazines are no good ...

skinny barrels don't shoot ...

bore-scopes will tell you how good a rifle shoots ...

long throats are fine, as are long jumps ...

3-groove bores suck ...

McMillan stocks are too expensive and not worth it ...

Moly attracts too much moisture and doesn't help anything anyway ...

light triggers are dangerous ...

you need a 26" barrel for anything bigger than a .22LR ...

want me to stop, or are you keeping up? ...
I hit copy/paste and will read same over dinner and a movie with The Gang.

Keep it coming,I'm out............
Best bring a highlighter and skip the movie.

Wouldn't want that to get in the way of learning...
Make fushizzel you get one dem bull barrels and break it in proper. There is a good vid on youtube about how tis done. Oh and NOBODY should waist their time with a .223AI...
© 24hourcampfire