Home
Posted By: 1234567 Square Bridge Mausers - 11/06/10
I just have a few questions about these. I have seen pictures of them, but that is all.

They seem to be very much in demand for custom rifles. Is there any advantage to the square bridges, and why are they so desireable?

I know they bring a premium price.

Anyone have any pictures?
Posted By: safariman Re: Square Bridge Mausers - 11/06/10
Go to Empire Rifles inc web page and you will find lots of pictures. You can inspect and handle a few hundred at the next SCI or Dallas Safari club convention. When executed correctly they are an excited hunter proof proof and nearly idiot proof reliable X 100 action for building into a Dangerous Game rifle, thier true calling and purpose in life. Square Bridge simply alows the gunsmith to show of his skill in building a sculpted, maybe engraved or inlayed scope base and mount set up. For a practical hunting rifle, I will take a CZ with its integral dovetails for scope rings every day. Also a Ruger with the excellent dovetaisl for thier or good aftermarket bases but both actions needing a bit of slicking up and modifications to thier safeties to be A#1 DGR's.
Posted By: TC1 Re: Square Bridge Mausers - 11/08/10
Well, some weren't all that expenxive. I bought this one years ago from Legacy Sports for $350.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The price you're seeing on these SB mausers these day's. You are either paying A. high dollars because the action is old, rare and had fine workmanship like the old Mauser factory sporters or B. it's a brand new custom action and the amount of work going into it warrants the price (not the square brdges.)

I think they're a neat addition to a custom rifle but you can achieve the same thing with good scope mounts.

Terry
Posted By: safariman Re: Square Bridge Mausers - 11/08/10
WOW, that is one NICE huntin rifle there! And at that price you should be arrested! Good grab there.
Terry is right. Not needed, but I like them. This became my 9.3X62.
[Linked Image]

Butch
Posted By: 1234567 Re: Square Bridge Mausers - 11/09/10
I have never actually seen one, except for pictures. I know the old, original made in Germany square bridges are extrememly expensive. Too rich for me. I was just wondering why they were so desireable. That was the reason for the OP.

On another thread, there is a link to a cover of an older Rifle Magazine that has a picture of one with engraving. IIRC, it was a Custom Gun Guild build.

It is beautifull, and I can understand why anyone would want one.

I have a custom rifle built on an FN Supreme 400 action built in the early 60s. As TC1 states, you can achive the same thing with good scope mounts, but those Square Bridges are really nice.

More pictures, if available.
A couple extra photos of the finished rifle.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Butch
Posted By: rifle Re: Square Bridge Mausers - 11/09/10
Here's one of mine...now for sale!
http://www.gunsinternational.com/Ma...actory-Scope-7x57mm.cfm?gun_id=100152576
Posted By: okie john Re: Square Bridge Mausers - 11/09/10
Originally Posted by 1234567
I was just wondering why they were so desireable.

In terms of function, square bridges made it easier to mount scopes back in the day. As folks have pointed out, that problem has been solved.

In terms of numbers, fewer square-bridge actions were made than standard actions, so collectors pay more for them. As folks have pointed out, lots of companies make square-bridge actions today.

In terms of beauty, you just can't beat 'em.

Okie John
Posted By: Jlin222 Re: Square Bridge Mausers - 11/11/10
To elaborate on some of the other poster's comments, the square bridge was designed specifically to accommodate the scope mounts of the period, which was the German claw mount. These mounts required relatively deep cuts in the receiver ring and bridge. The double square bridge provided extra material to allow these cuts to be made, along with a nice flat surface to line up the rings, and Mauser provided them either pre-cut to take Mauser mounts, or uncut to be done by a private gunsmith later. As such, they were probably the first type of integral scope mount, however, unlike later integral mounts such as the Brno/CZ, Sako or Ruger, they were not standardized.

As others have said, their desirability and expense is a combination of rarity (in the original Oberndorf Mausers) and aesthetic appeal.
Posted By: 458Win Re: Square Bridge Mausers - 11/11/10
As far as I am concerned on big bore rifles, ones that really don't require or demand a scope, square bridges are simply an anachronism that hang on because they have developed a cult following. I find they make a rifle less comfortable to carry as the higher and more blocky receiver ring does not ride as well in your hand.
© 24hourcampfire