Home
I'm torn between these two stocks and I'm placing my order today !

I'm not crazy about a painted stock so thats one strike against the EDGE.....

Kind of like the idea of a "flamed" McSwirly in a "Classic"

I'm going with a Douglas #1 contour in Rem 700 with a 21" light sporter

The EDGE has the light weight that I'm after......

[Linked Image]

Steelheads HEDGE......
[Linked Image]

Which one !!!
If going gel and a #1 contour I'd throw it in either a Mountain rifle or Hunters Compact (the Edge stock, just not Edge)
My choice would be the Hunters edge with a #1 contour,any larger and I would use a Classic!
Here's a topic covering the same subject:

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/4507437/1
Steelhead, is your 6x45 a Hunters Compact ?

If I go with a regular Remington Compact fiberglass construction I guess it can have the "flame swirls"......

Haven't seen any regular filled McMillan "compacts" posted ?
Yep, it's an Edge. A non-Edge would look just like the Edge, cept it wouldn't be Edge.
You just need to decide on how much weight you want to save!
I am kind of fond of a "flamed" classic.
I guess the question is "painted" vs. "weight" ?
Should be clear, the 6x45 is a Hunter's Edge. You can do it in non Edge also.
Question is balance.
Exactly..the reason I would go with a Hunters Edge with a #1 contour!
I would not go with a Classic with a Douglas #1. It has a pretty substantial forend and the #1 is a small contour. Stay with a Compact and like Steelhead wrote, consider the Mt rifle.

I am not sure if this will help you out but I have two Mt rifle stocks on similar builds.

[Linked Image]

Top is a McSwirly with standard fill with a 21" Douglas #2 in 338Fed and weighs 7 pounds as pictured. Bottom is an EDGE has a 21" Douglas #1 in 7mm-08 and weighs 6 pounds 3 ounces as pictured. Both balance nicely. To be honest, I never notice the extra pound when hunting. Most folks who handle the 7mm-08 want to buy it from me. It is THAT nice. My price is too high though.

RH
The bottom 7mm-08 in the Edge is perfect.......

Is it olive or black ?
Thanks for the info !

These things cost to much for a guy not to weigh out his options........
I have a 20" Douglas #1 in a Ti stock trimmed down a hair with a flip flop pad. I think a full size Ti and pad would make it perfect. So a few ounces up or down wouldn't be a big deal to me.

I'd definitely not go Classic though. I'd go compact in swirl or Edge. A MR pattern will have a cheekpiece, and those are just gay.
Hunter's Edge and get over the paint phobia.
Originally Posted by chrome
The bottom 7mm-08 in the Edge is perfect.......

Is it olive or black ?

It is Olive.

RH
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
Hunter's Edge and get over the paint phobia.

Ditto.I like Scott's rifle.
i like those unpainted Edge stocks too...
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux

I'd definitely not go Classic though. I'd go compact in swirl or Edge. A MR pattern will have a cheekpiece, and those are just gay.

I'm going with the Hunter Compact EDGE, no cheekpiece.....
Good choice. Ever since McMillian came out with the Edge technology there just isn't a reason to get a standard stock anymore unless you're shooting a big bore. Otherwise the standard stocks are just adding weight for no purpose.
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
Otherwise the standard stocks are just adding weight for no purpose.

Unless you like the cool bowling ball look. (As I do.) But I have a sneaking suspicion that my next McMillan will be an EDGE.
I prefer the ergos of the entire MR stock over the Compact, except for the tight grip.
Chrome,
Here's a couple pictures of the compact hunter swirlies......2nd rifle CZ model 3 in 300 WSM (light gray, white and black)
3rd rifle Winchester Model 70 270 win ( Black and Olive)

[Linked Image]
Thanks Mistem

How long are the barrels on the Compacts ? Kinda figure anything over 22" would feel unbalanced ?
Don't forget about the pad, run 1/2" vice 1"
I'm going 1/2" can't figure much recoil in a small 6mm.

Man, I still would like to have something in a compact flamed McSwirly......

Might have to build a "big bore" maybe a .250 Savage.
Do it then.
Ok, what are you ordering? I'll order the other.
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Ok, what are you ordering? I'll order the other.

Holy crap Steelhead! What do you do for a living? LOL! I'm going back to school and changing careers! laugh
Been single for almost 18 years, that grants me much latitude with funds.
Yea, I should have joined the Coast Gaurd instead of going into the Fire service.....

Hunters EDGE Compact Olive.

Or Flamed Compact 50% Hunter green, 25% olive 25% Orange
I never order flames in percentages. Just let me know which way you go so I know what to order.

I'm hoping you go Olive Edge, since I already have one....

I'm hoping you go Olive Edge, since I already have one....

Thats the one I told Rick to order....... laugh
Ok, I think they might be closed next week, but if not I'll get one on order.
Well you mind if I don't go with a #1 Douglas? I prefer to do a Remington taper these days that mic out at .6 at the muzzle.
I really like the Compact Classic, but since it's now available, I'd go with a KS pattern in Edge construction.

The KS is just about the perfect stock design, IMO, for anything thru a #2 barrel size.

I like the Compact better than the MR because of the more open grip & better than the std. Classic because of the slimmer forend.

Here's pics of a Compact Classic (on a M70 Sporter), a KS & a Ti stock. The Compact on the M70 balances just as I like it w/the weight solidly in my left hand when the gun is shouldered.

KS on the left, Compact in the middle & Ti on the right.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

KS
[Linked Image]

Compact Classic on a M70 Sporter
[Linked Image]

SA Ti
[Linked Image]

MM

In my McM hierarchy, I'd rank the Compact no higher than 3rd, with the Mountain Rifle better, for me, with ligher barrels and McM Hunter better, for me, with the heavier magnum contour barrels. I also generally prefer a tighter radius pistol grip and a raised cheekpiece, so the MR goes #1 for me and the McM Hunter #2, for me.

That said, the Compact is a perfect fit, size wise, for the Winchester/USRA 70 WSSMs.

Jeff
Thanks Mistem

How long are the barrels on the Compacts ? Kinda figure anything over 22" would feel unbalanced ?

Barrels on both are 24" tubes.....balance is good, maybe muzzle heavy with an edge though grin
The compact is my favorite style stock for a winchester model 70 hands down......now a Remmy it has to be the Mountain Rifle.....all personal taste.
If your building a light weight go with the edge, if you can live with your rifle being 8 to 10 ozs overweight get the swirly.
Mitch
Been single for almost 18 years, that grants me much latitude with funds.

Mind if I live vicariously through your posts? Lol! laugh
If I remember right a couple of years or so ago, Steelhead had something like 14-15 stocks in various stages on order with McM all at the same time.............so he's got a few. LOL.

MM
I also would pick the KS pattern out of all their offerings. It's close to a MR but with the more open slim grip. Just about perfect in my opinion.
I like the KS, I do not like a cheekpiece.

I can't figure out which one to go with......
Order both, I would.
Doesn't matter which one or two I order, buy the time it gets here I will have changed my mind......
I like the KS, I do not like a cheekpiece.

I can't figure out which one to go with......

The KS is far & away my favorite pattern anywhere, but if you don't like the cheekpiece, then the Compact Classic Edge is very close, just a little shorter in the forend as I show in my pics & it is checkered, whereas the KS is sans checkering.

Not sure if you can get the Compact Classic edge w/o the checkering.......maybe Steelhead might know?

MM
Of course you can get it without checkering. Want me to guess the weight on that.........
Extra moola to fill in the checkering.
My last question.

How much difference is the standard fill Compact Vs. the EDGE Compact ?

And is it worth the extra $80 ?
Of course you can get it without checkering. Want me to guess the weight on that.........

Nah, you got that down pat last time around.

How many Edges do you have now & what is the lightest one?

MM
Figure about $12 an ounce.
Yes, and I don't know. I've not weighed one without everything attached.
My last question.

How much difference is the standard fill Compact Vs. the EDGE Compact ?

And is it worth the extra $80 ?

The Compact Classic Edge in the pic I put up is 21.5 oz with the 1/2" Declelerator; typical standard fill is around 32 oz, give or take, depending on the pattern.

Whether it's worth it or not is up to you & how you expect to use it.

For me, I don't like heavy.

MM

I did just weigh a Remington Classic Swirl, light fill with 1" pad, 29 ounces.

So, a Compact swirl should weigh less, all things being equal.
I did just weigh a Remington Classic Swirl, light fill with 1" pad, 29 ounces.

So, a Compact swirl should weigh less, all things being equal.

Per what McM posted here, I thought they discontinued "light" fill........is that an older one?

MM
Well, when you order in BULK, anything is possible.
Well, when you order in BULK, anything is possible.

Lol!
Well, with the money you've spent with them, can't begrudge you a little special consideration.

LOL

MM
Steelhead you got your own hotline or do you order through here like the rest of us schleps?
There have only been three 'fills' that I'm aware of. Standard (light), Magnum and Sniper.

I order direct.
I do order "light as possible" occasionally, with the understanding that some cloth may be showing.
From Rick Bin

Originally Posted by RickBin
Hi Guys:

I just got off the phone with Dick Davis at McMillan (he sounds great!), and he clarified for me the issue of fill weights for McMillan hunting stocks.

The straight skinny is as follows:

McMillan hunting stocks come in three fill weights, and three fill weights only:

1] Magnum fill (for magnum calibers)

2] Standard fill (will weigh 2 to 2.25 pounds)

3] EDGE technology.

That's it. Bottom line.

"Light as possible for caliber" gets standard fill.

"KS" or "kevlar" fill gets standard fill.

Magnum, standard, EDGE. Them's the choices.

The shopping cart here has been modified accordingly.

Rick

MM
K
As I said, 3 weights (not counting Edge)
The forend on the Compact pattern is not quite as smoothly rounded as the KS and MR pattern. Compact has somewhat straight sides to it. To me, it doesn't fit the hand quite as well.
I called McMillan and asked about the difference between "Magnum Fill" and "Sniper Fill".

The reply:
"There is no difference".

Hunting stock heavy fill is referred to as Magnum Fill, where Tactical stock heavy fill is Sniper fill. I guess the terminology is simply geared towards the perspective buyers.
Geared towards stock.
© 24hourcampfire