Home
Posted By: hbnac Bad Broughton Barrels - 01/30/11
Has anyone heard about Broughton barrels having problems. I heard that top gunsmiths like Gordy Gritters, Nat Lambeth, and Gary Bowman have stopped using there barrels and that Broughton has not been standing behind them.
Posted By: DocEd Re: Bad Broughton Barrels - 01/30/11
It might be a good idea to verify before starting a rumor that could potentially ruin a great company. Why not contact the mentioned gunsmiths and get their opinion before posting here.
I am willing to bet there are for more good ones then bad.
Plus one Eddie.
Butch
Posted By: MtnHtr Re: Bad Broughton Barrels - 01/30/11
Any barrelmaker can put out a bad barrel if they receive a bad run of barrel steel.

Now if they don't back their barrels up then they should receive some bad press imo. New tubes aren't cheap and neither are the 'smithing bills to screw 'em on. Not to mention the time and $$ spent trying to make a bad barrel shoot.

I finally received a bad barrel awhile back and the amount of time and $$ spent trying to make it shoot really put a new perspective on the term "frustration". Luckily the barrelmaker not only replaced the barrel, they reimbursed my smith to install the replacement barrel. The replacement barrel shoots fine btw.

MtnHtr
Did you go on this, or any other forum, and start a thread, about your barrel maker, before you contacted them?
Originally Posted by DocEd
Did you go on this, or any other forum, and start a thread, about your barrel maker, before you cantacted them?

Nope, I did PM a few others though on here and kept them updated. Now if the barrel maker would have told me to go fly a kite then I would have done differently.

MtnHtr
"I did PM a few others, on here...." The operative word being PM!
Posted By: oldguns Re: Bad Broughton Barrels - 01/30/11
DocEd..good advice
Originally Posted by DocEd
"I did PM a few others, on here...." The operative word being PM!

Doc,

I agree, one really has to make sure it is the barrel and then give the maker the chance to make it right. In my case I documented everything along with pics and emailed the barrelmaker. Kudos to them, they were A+ to deal with.

I once received a barrel that was outta specs from another barrelmaker and they made it right too, A+ CS.

Not so with some other barrelmakers according to some on here, and I don't buy their barrels because of their bad experiences.

Same for stocks, received a few bad ones from a well known stockmaker, they made it right in every case. Not so with another well known company and they soon got outta the stockmaking business anyways (guess I was not the only one who received a bad stock).

I say give the maker the chance to make it right, and if you get screwed then move on and don't recommend their junk anymore.

MtnHtr
Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: Bad Broughton Barrels - 01/30/11
Who was the barrel maker that gave you good CS?
Posted By: boatanchor Re: Bad Broughton Barrels - 01/30/11
I only have 1 Broughton barrel, but several of my friends have them. never heard anything but great reviews.
Only bad barrel's I have ever had were Pac-Nor's and they did not stand behind their's.
B
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
Who was the barrel maker that gave you good CS?

I prefer not to say on a public forum. The reason is I don't feel it would be right if someone out there started calling them up (the barrelmaker) and started demanding a new barrel since they replaced mine. I made damn sure it was not anything else (scope, mounts, bedding etc) and consulted with my 'smith before I contacted the barrelmaker.

MtnHtr

Posted By: Steelhead Re: Bad Broughton Barrels - 01/30/11
Makes sense to me.
Posted By: gunnut308 Re: Bad Broughton Barrels - 01/30/11
Everybody gonna [bleep] up. It ain't happened to me yet.....but it prolly will crazy

But..... I don't make bbl's neither, hell, I can't hardly rake leaves. grin
Posted By: hbnac Re: Bad Broughton Barrels - 01/30/11
You guys are right.

My apologies!!

I should have not brought up this issue here.

Some of my best shooting rifles have broughtons on them, but I am fustrated dealing with them.
Posted By: slg888 Re: Bad Broughton Barrels - 01/30/11
I know of 2 Broughton barrels returned for replacement in 2010. Although I personally have a Broughton #3 purchased 2009 that shoots consistantly 3/8" groups @100yards. I guess once in awhile someone is bound to get a bad barrel.

4 bug holes
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Bad Broughton Barrels - 01/30/11
Well, you being frustrated is different than he said, she said.
Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: Bad Broughton Barrels - 01/30/11
I understand!
Posted By: Blueprinted Re: Bad Broughton Barrels - 01/31/11
What caliber is your barrel? I got an 8 twist HV 6mm that is an absolute hammer. I got another 8 twist sitting here getting ready for a trip to the smith. What problems are you having? Who hung it? When did you get it?

Tim is a good guy and always calls back, when he has time. I forgot time zones and called him an hour before he opened. He answered when I realized my error. Said he had been there two hours working. Asked him a bunch of questions on tuning a load to his canted rifleing and what bullets guys were having the most luck with. 95gr VLDs were fighting me a bit. Not the guns fault. It was me being pig headed and not dropping burn rate. Rightfully he would not give me a combo to try, but did give me some helpful hints to get my brian engaged.

I firmly beleive if you can positivley say he left a bad barrel leave (which can happen) he will back it up and make things right.
Posted By: badger Re: Bad Broughton Barrels - 01/31/11
Yup,

I got one of their [bleep] ones.......

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Magnumdood Re: Bad Broughton Barrels - 01/31/11
badger,

Nice group dude!
Posted By: Redneck Re: Bad Broughton Barrels - 01/31/11
Originally Posted by boatanchor
I only have 1 Broughton barrel, but several of my friends have them. never heard anything but great reviews.
Only bad barrel's I have ever had were Pac-Nor's and they did not stand behind their's.
B
My experience has been exactly the opposite.. In 13 years I got exactly ONE barrel from Pac-Nor that wouldn't shoot.. I sent it back for inspection and they found a problem inside. Within two weeks a new barrel was at my shop and they paid me to install it for the customer.. He's been happy ever since..

I'll use them again, any time..
Posted By: Rustystud Re: Bad Broughton Barrels - 01/31/11
This post is being made by Nat Lambeth. First, I don't appreciate anyone posting my name on a public forum making statements about another vendor or manufacture's product without my permission. I don't air my laundry on the internet. It is mine and my customers choice who's products we use. Yes, I was using Broughton Barrels for my customers who wanted Button barrels. No, I am not using Broughton Barrels personally, but if my customer wants to use a Broughton barrel that is their choice. All barrel makers have good and bad times. Materials and processes change. I have many customers who have had great success with their Broughton Barrels. I don't normally post on this site but I was referred to this post by a friend. Tim North and Broughton barrels deserves to be treated with respect and not maligned on the internet. I hope the moderator will remove it as it misrepresents the facts.
Nat Lambeth
Posted By: slg888 Re: Bad Broughton Barrels - 01/31/11
Originally Posted by Rustystud
I hope the moderator will remove it as it misrepresents the facts.
Moderator? Oh ya, he usually logs in around noon or so.
Posted By: Popapi Re: Bad Broughton Barrels - 01/31/11
Originally Posted by slg888
Originally Posted by Rustystud
Moderator? Oh ya, he usually logs in around noon or so.
grin
Posted By: SU35 Re: Bad Broughton Barrels - 02/01/11
This post is being made by Nat Lambeth. No, I am not using Broughton Barrels personally,

I pillar bedded my model 7 and glassed in the lug. The problems I hd was with the long throat. I rebarreled with a 20" Broughton 5C on both of my model 7s. The both now shoot in the .2s.
Nat Lambeth

Funny!

Nat, these guys are not as hard as they seem. They get a certain amount of pleasure in sticking the pin into somebody.
It may be funny, but how many of you posted how good something was?
What did you post when it went to shat?
One thing you can say is he didn't come on here cussing anybody's components. He just dealt with it and moved on.
Butch
Posted By: EddyBo Re: Bad Broughton Barrels - 02/01/11
What is supposed to be wrong with Broughtons? I still have a few kreigers on the shelf where I bought several to have around in anticipation of a price increase.....but it is almost time to order some more and was thinking of buying some broughtons. I have only cut four or fivr broughtons but they all cut nice and all shot and cleaned pretty well.
Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: Bad Broughton Barrels - 02/01/11
I've only one Broughton, a #3 chambered in 270 Winchester and it shoots extremely well,this is the first negative thing I've heard about them....no complaints here!

I'm sure Broughton barrel failures are rare and mostly internet hype!!
Posted By: EddyBo Re: Bad Broughton Barrels - 02/01/11
Would have to agree, this unsupported post will not sway my decision. I do not listen to half of what I read on the net.
Posted By: jwill350 Re: Bad Broughton Barrels - 02/01/11
Yep, they're right at the top of my list.
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: Bad Broughton Barrels - 02/01/11
I have only had two bad barrels, both were from barrel makers who, at one time or another, ruled the BR equipment list. The one from Texas made it right almost immediately and the one from the east coast, well, let's just say that they think their shat don't stink and I won't be doing business with them again.
Posted By: keith Re: Bad Broughton Barrels - 02/01/11
I would never make such a negative post on such a good barrel making company with out lots of documentation.
Posted By: dave7mm Re: Bad Broughton Barrels - 02/01/11
http://www.pa1000yard.com/results/r...p;showshoots=No&tops=No&topct=10

dave
Posted By: jwill350 Re: Bad Broughton Barrels - 02/01/11
keith, that's exactly what I was thinking.
Originally Posted by badger
Yup,

I got one of their [bleep] ones.......

[Linked Image]

Ahh that's just your poor shootinggrin

Mike
© 24hourcampfire