Home
...producing better barrels in some calibers more than others? Or to put it another way, is one manufacturer known for outstanding 6mm barrels and another for great .308 barrels?

If there are any trends like that, who makes the best 6.5mm barrels?

Thanks,

John
George Gardner at G.A Precision says Bartlein barrels are in his opinion the most consistant barrels being made today, a very bold statement, but his rifles are able to back that statement up!
If I am hunting a fast twist 22 cal barrel I always go with schillen. By default I usually go with kreiger for everything else, but am not afraid of any of the reputable barrel maker's wares.
John,

Best at what game? If you are talking 1,000 yard matches you can check the match equipment sheets for barrel maker, and just go with that.

If you are talking hunting barrels, there are a lot of people who can make a barrel that will shoot under a half-minute for say three shot groups. My Shilen barrel on my 6.5-'06 has shot into the 2s, and keeps most bullets under a half-inch at 100 yards. Since I am hunting with this rifle I don't worry about groups larger than 3 shots.

For target work I would go with a stainless barrel with cut rifling...jim
I don't know but have read of Broughton having a hot 25 cal. button.
Obermyer 5R 308s. Schneider Polygon barrels in 308.
A buddy of mine who knows his stuff swears by Hart .22 CF tubes.
Originally Posted by Hondo64d
...producing better barrels in some calibers more than others? Or to put it another way, is one manufacturer known for outstanding 6mm barrels and another for great .308 barrels?

Yes. -Al
Yes is all I feel like saying here also.........
Who is thought to be best for their 6.5 barrels?

John
Originally Posted by Hondo64d
Who is thought to be best for their 6.5 barrels?

John
BROUGHTON.................WITHOUT a doubt!
Originally Posted by EddyBo
If I am hunting a fast twist 22 cal barrel I always go with schillen. By default I usually go with kreiger for everything else, but am not afraid of any of the reputable barrel maker's wares.

Does Shilen do a 6.5 twist 224? We couldn't find any years ago until we talked PN into running them.... Was not aware of Shilen
I have 4 Broughtons,300 Jarrett,6mm-270 Win,25-06AI and a 7-08 and they all shoot 3/8ths or better groups with hand loads.Skeeter
If I was going to choose the best barrel overall, I would have to go with Krieger.They are just so proven in precision shooting in many calibers.
More of the barrel "Installer" than the the manufactor to me.
I've got a supposedly less-than-accurate caliber, a 30-378, chambered in a 28" Krieger (cut rifled) barrel that piles Berger 210s on top of each other. It shoots practically any 30 caliber bullet well and I'm not that good of a shooter.
Lilja is rumored to make a h*ll of a .284. I have evidence of such...
Originally Posted by yukonal
Lilja is rumored to make a h*ll of a .284.

And 6.5mm ....
Al I agree also.
Butch
Lilja is rumored to make a h*ll of a .284.

Dan makes a h*ll of a 6.5, 284 and 30. I have evidence of such too!

MtnHtr

+1
I've had some totally incredible Schneiders in .340 and .375 Wby and 7's, and 6's.

Oddly, I can't recall having a .270 Schneider, had a couple Lilja's and they both sucked rocks. shocked

Dober
I have three Schneiders in .30 and they are top notch. Bear
I have done lots of research through many websites and compiled a list of the best barrel makers by caliber. The company's I list below make good barrels but they seem to have a reputation north american wide for that certain caliber. Only ones I researched are calibers I was interested in.

.243/6mm - Krieger
.264/6.5mm - Broughton 5C
.308 - Rock
.338 - Bartlein

These are to ones that showed up over and over as recomended for those calibers.

However we have so many good barrel makers we really cant go wrong. Hart,shilen,schneider,lijia,pacnor,lothar walther,Brux,Benchmark,

World wide
Border and Trueflite

Canadian
Gaillard,RKS,Mick Mcphee,Mclennen

There are more but that was off the top of my head. So we do have many options. In fact maybe too many how do you pick?
There is certainly an embarrassment of riches available these days in quality barrels.
I appreciate all the replies. I guess, in the end, I'll just go with what the 'smith recommends. In this case it happens to be Hart because they lap their barrels AFTER fluting as opposed to before.

John
I have built & assembled Savage rifles from 20 Vartarg to

358 Winchester using Pac-Nor barrels....

Target...Varmint....Big Game..

I have yet to get a bad one.....

One being built right now is a 6.5x55 28" x 1.118"

straight cylinder w/8 twist/3 groove....

Will it shoot ? You bet it will.......

+1 wouldn't trade the Lilja on my 7x57 for anything
A lot of Kool-aid drinkers here!
Ended up going with Brux. I was very happy with my last two and gunsmith was good with it too. I guess the concern is fluting a finished barrel might affect the internal dimensions. As it turns out, Brux doesn't even finish ream until after the fluting is done. That and the fact that my last two Bruxes performed very well led to my decision.

John
I like the Brux I played with last summer.
© 24hourcampfire